Swapping a timer for a switch

PCSB

Featured Posts

I am thinking of swapping out the timer on the immersion heater for a simple switch. It is a 1KW immersion and is only powered when on mains and has a seperate RCD. I'm thinking this or similar would be ok? ... British General Nexus Metal 20A 1-Gang DP Control Switch Brushed Steel with LED | Switches | Screwfix.com It is what I would use on land fwiw ...

TIA

Paul.

3 minutes ago, PCSB said:

I am thinking of swapping out the timer on the immersion heater for a simple switch. It is a 1KW immersion and is only powered when on mains and has a seperate RCD. I'm thinking this or similar would be ok? ... British General Nexus Metal 20A 1-Gang DP Control Switch Brushed Steel with LED | Switches | Screwfix.com It is what I would use on land fwiw ...

TIA

Paul.

Excellent choice, go to it.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Yes you might but the next person probably won't... just look in the new boater threads if your not convinced... 😜

But when they ask us we will know the answer. What's this metal Clad switch for with a light on it? Its for your immersion heater.

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok I'll be the one to ask... What's wrong with the timer? Mine has a switch, so if I want I can just leave the timer on permanently and manually switch the immersion on & off.

It has a switch on it, but it is tiny and feels as though it will break anytime soon. Also it is a bu&&er to switch off. The timer function is useless as once off mains (and we are regularly) as the timer stops. Just easier and simpler to have a switch.

6 minutes ago, PCSB said:

No, it is wired seperate to the inverter. It would muller the batteries too I think.

I'm not sure I am understading the set-up.

You are using your inverter to power the Immersion, or you are not ?

If not, and you are cruising with no shore line available where is the power source ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not sure I am understading the set-up.

You are using your inverter to power the Immersion, or you are not ?

If not, and you are cruising with no shore line available where is the power source ?

Not using the inverter, the immersion only works when plugged in to shore power. Not sure where the confusion comes from, perhaps the bit about the timer. The timer also only works when on shore power. It is a faff to use and so will be changed. When cruising I don't need the inverter as the engine will heat the water.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Not using the inverter, the immersion only works when plugged in to shore power. Not sure where the confusion comes from, perhaps the bit about the timer. The timer also only works when on shore power. It is a faff to use and so will be changed. When cruising I don't need the inverter as the engine will heat the water.

Sorry my misunderstanding when you said :

1 hour ago, PCSB said:

The timer function is useless as once off mains (and we are regularly) as the timer stops. Just easier and simpler to have a switch.

Which I read as, when cruising (off the mains) it was easier to have on on/off switch.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PCSB said:

I know what you are saying. 

:)

18 hours ago, PCSB said:

It has a switch on it, but it is tiny and feels as though it will break anytime soon. Also it is a bu&&er to switch off. The timer function is useless as once off mains (and we are regularly) as the timer stops. Just easier and simpler to have a switch.

There are, of course, also other timers which are perhaps better suited. I changed my switch to a press button timer, repeat presses select 15, 30, 60 or 120 mins, a single press again goes to off. They also do a 30, 60, 120, 240 mins (or similar) version.  Not trying to persuade you - just another option. 

• Greenie 1