Kingfisher Diesel KD26

Benji2204

Featured Posts

Good day to you all

I just wondered if anyone could put me in touch with an engineer that could work on a Kingfisher Diesel engine. I appreciate these are old engines but would be good to know if there was an engineer close to Milton Keynes

thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Not that old - they were sold new in Britain in the mid-to-late 1990s, and are marinisations of a Chinese engine called a Fuzhou.. From memory, a bloke with a name something like Phil Jupitus ran the company. 

That company has, I think, closed down, but there is an owners-and-enthusiasts web site, run by a member of this forum. A quick look at your search engine should find it; their members may well be able to help and advise you.

51 minutes ago, Benji2204 said:

Good day to you all

I just wondered if anyone could put me in touch with an engineer that could work on a Kingfisher Diesel engine. I appreciate these are old engines but would be good to know if there was an engineer close to Milton Keynes

thank you

I had a KD36 for a while. There was nothing difficult or complicated about it, it was a really basic diesel engine. In fact when I took it out I sold it on ebay and a technical college bought it to use as an example of simple diesel to teach people on.

Parts availability might have been a problem but nothing ever went wrong with mine. Does yours actually need something doing to it? Pretty much any diesel technician would have felt instantly at home with my KD36. Same would apply to your KD26. 

One odd thing about yours I think, is the pistons rise and fall ion unison instead of opposing each other like most twin cylinders. This gives an even exhaust note at the expense of more vibration. 

Here's the owners website http://www.kingfisherdieselengines.uk/

10 minutes ago, Chris G said:

I thought that British twin cylinder motorbike engines had the pistons moving in unison.

You're probably right, but I can't think of any other twin cylinder boat diesels like that. 

Cue a long list of them being cited! 

Hi MTB, the engine start fine but when I engage the drive it does not turn the prop so I’m assuming it’s either the gearbox or the hydraulic Jabsco pump. Sadly I’m not good with engines that is why I’m looking for an engineer. Thank you for your comments

Ben

16 minutes ago, Benji2204 said:

Hi MTB, the engine start fine but when I engage the drive it does not turn the prop so I’m assuming it’s either the gearbox or the hydraulic Jabsco pump. Sadly I’m not good with engines that is why I’m looking for an engineer. Thank you for your comments

Ben

Hmmm. Being no good with engines shouldn't be an impediment here, as this is a gearbox problem! 

Have you or could you check two simple things this might be? 

1) When you move the gear control, can you see a little lever on the gearbox moving in unison? The lever should move. If it doesn't, this will be the problem. Broken linkage.

2) The gearbox is hydraulic and needs oil to work. There will be a dipstick on the gearbox somewhere, possibly with a head that needs unscrewing, to check the gearbox oil level. If the level is too low, this too will stop the gears engaging.

2 hours ago, Benji2204 said:

Ben

I was not aware that Jabsco make hydraulic pumps but do make a variety of water pumps. I think your Jabsco pump is a water pump and nothing to do with your problem.

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Drive plate?  How did it fail? Silently or noisily? Whilst moving or stopped? Nothing in the prop?

That was my first thought but looking at photos of the engine I wonder if it has no drive plate like the BMC B/A types, the Lister boxes, and many on older marine engines. If it has one then that would be my first bet.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That was my first thought but looking at photos of the engine I wonder if it has no drive plate like the BMC B/A types, the Lister boxes, and many on older marine engines. If it has one then that would be my first bet.

Its a conventional one piston up  & one down crank.

There is a hydraulic clutch coupling which has a get you home lock up procedure if the box fails detailed in the owners manual.  4mm allen key required and a 12mm spanner.

So there must be a hydraulic pump in the hydraulic gearbox.

http://www.kingfisherdieselengines.uk/KD26 Owner's Manual cleaned for website.pdf

Edited by Tracy D'arth

4 hours ago, Athy said:

From memory, a bloke with a name something like Phil Jupitus ran the company. 

That company has, I think, closed down,

Are you thinking of Phil Lizius of Longboat Engineering? He imported Indian built copies of Ruston engines under the Greaves name for a while, but I don't recall he was involved with Kingfisher engines.

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Are you thinking of Phil Lizius of Longboat Engineering? He imported Indian built copies of Ruston engines under the Greaves name for a while, but I don't recall he was involved with Kingfisher engines.

I think you're perfectly correct, and I apologise for my greavous error.