Slow Cooker Favourites

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

The weather is a bit wet and miserable today so I have bunged a nice piece of Dexter brisket in the slow cooker.

Topped with a smokehouse rub it will have 8 hours on low power and should be cooked to perfection when we get back from a long soggy walk with the dog.

FB_IMG_1662283686035.jpg.15f4da61f9ab885e726ef13b230cf5b7.jpg

FB_IMG_1662283688898.jpg.b0073c3a3ce08b47e4c75dedcfa1adc9.jpg

What are your slow cooker favourites?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Brown 2 pork chops.

Soften 1 sliced onion,  a couple sticks of celery, chopped (or a leek ) and some garlic.

Add all to pot, chops on top

Deglaze pan with 1 wine glass dry sherry ( the sort that comes with a paper bag is fine) or white wine.

Add hot  liquid to pot.

Lid on and leave for 2 hours on high.

Nice with spuds,  cabbage and carrots.

N

Brown 2 pork chops.

Soften 1 sliced onion,  a couple sticks of celery, chopped (or a leek ) and some garlic.

Add all to pot, chops on top

Deglaze pan with 1 wine glass dry sherry ( the sort that comes with a paper bag is fine) or white wine.

Add hot  liquid to pot.

Lid on and leave for 2 hours on high.

Nice with spuds,  cabbage and carrots.

N

Its warm and sunny here, been sat in the garden wiv dog ( honestly ) its good enough to barby, however I had promised myself liver and bacon casserole today for tea, so I put it in the slow cooker an hour or so ago. Lambs liver, smoked bacon, partialy fried onions, stock, tomatoe puree and a handful of black tomatoes straight off the plant in the garden. I will be having two kinds of beans also from the garden which I will pick one minute before cooking later. A few shop bought spuds also. Slow cookers are sooooooooo good for soooooooooo many things.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Its warm and sunny here, been sat in the garden wiv dog ( honestly ) its good enough to barby, however I had promised myself liver and bacon casserole today for tea, so I put it in the slow cooker an hour or so ago. Lambs liver, smoked bacon, partialy fried onions, stock, tomatoe puree and a handful of black tomatoes straight off the plant in the garden. I will be having two kinds of beans also from the garden which I will pick one minute before cooking later. A few shop bought spuds also. Slow cookers are sooooooooo go for soooooooooo many things.

Sounds fantastic, we have mountains of spuds from the allotment, I know farmers around the world have said its a poor harvest but ours has been great 

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The weather is a bit wet and miserable today so I have bunged a nice piece of Dexter brisket in the slow cooker.

Topped with a smokehouse rub it will have 8 hours on low power and should be cooked to perfection when we get back from a long soggy walk with the dog.

FB_IMG_1662283686035.jpg.15f4da61f9ab885e726ef13b230cf5b7.jpg

FB_IMG_1662283688898.jpg.b0073c3a3ce08b47e4c75dedcfa1adc9.jpg

What are your slow cooker favourites?

Do brisket and Ox cheeks in the Rayburn so good 

Just now, peterboat said:

Sounds fantastic, we have mountains of spuds from the allotment, I know farmers around the world have said its a poor harvest but ours has been great 

I didnt do spuds this year. Ive had literaly bucketfulls though of Lady di Beans and some dwarf yellow french. Given masses away int pub lol. Collected 4 buckets full of pears yesterday int garden from our two small trees and put them out front of house for passers by to take, and of course tut pub lol. Missus is making pear and blackberry crumble as we speak, blackberries abundant all round here which suprised us as its been so dry this summer. The ones picked from the banks of the Teifi are the best, must be all the massive pollution in the river that makes em grow so well ;)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I didnt do spuds this year. Ive had literaly bucketfulls though of Lady di Beans and some dwarf yellow french. Given masses away int pub lol. Collected 4 buckets full of pears yesterday int garden from our two small trees and put them out front of house for passers by to take, and of course tut pub lol. Missus is making pear and blackberry crumble as we speak, blackberries abundant all round here which suprised us as its been so dry this summer. The ones picked from the banks of the Teifi are the best, must be all the massive pollution in the river that makes em grow so well ;)

All our blackberries have been and gone pears and apple's are fantastic though

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

All our blackberries have been and gone pears and apple's are fantastic though

Loads of blackberries here. The hedgerows are heaving.

Had a bumper crop of carrots and beetroot as well. Too much to know what to do with 😀

Bumper crop bad winter so no doubt it will be the coldest winter on record to match the hottest summer on record 😕

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Had a bumper crop of carrots and beetroot as well. Too much to know what to do with 😀

Bumper crop bad winter so no doubt it will be the coldest winter on record to match the hottest summer on record 😕

It's strange weather we were eating blackberries in late July! Far to early should be September when we are eating them. Butternut squash is growing wild along with courgettes, peas and mange touts were good as well.  I suppose its down to the allotment being fallow for years and it being used for chickens before?

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We're the same, the blackberries off the towpath last week were huge, we picked a massive amount of wild plums off a tree near Curdworth, and when we got home the beetroots on the allotment were huge.

Roasted a pheasant for tea (frozen from earlier in the year) along with allotment potatoes, beetroot, french beans and squash. Blackberry, plum and windfall apple for afters.

• Greenie 1

Love to cook lamb shanks in the slow cooker,I do them like Cypriot lamb Kleftiko,look on line as there are loads of recipes.The lamb just melts in your mouth & falls off the bone.The spuds in there taste glorious too.The reason I suggest looking online is that I've adapted the recipe to suit what we like.Slow cooker lamb is just gorgeous.

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Love to cook lamb shanks in the slow cooker,I do them like Cypriot lamb Kleftiko,look on line as there are loads of recipes.The lamb just melts in your mouth & falls off the bone.The spuds in there taste glorious too.The reason I suggest looking online is that I've adapted the recipe to suit what we like.Slow cooker lamb is just gorgeous.

If you like lamb shanks and curry, try lamb nalli which is basically slow-cooked lamb shanks in a fantastically fragrant sauce... 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Greenie 2

On 05/09/2022 at 00:02, blackrose said:

You walk your dog for 8 hours? 

Only 5 on Sunday. Steady day :)

On 05/09/2022 at 10:26, IanD said:

If you like lamb shanks and curry, try lamb nalli which is basically slow-cooked lamb shanks in a fantastically fragrant sauce... 🙂 🙂 🙂

That sounds good. Might try that one.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Only 5 on Sunday. Steady day :)

Would that be like my idea of a 5hr walk? 1/2hr walk to pub, 4hr in pub and 1/2hr home again?

(I might find a closer pub mind)

and that is the real joy of a slow cooker or hot pot on stove, it don’t matter how long you spend down the boozer the dinner will just get better 🤤

Looking forward to getting the stove lit again, will try some of the above recipes. 

I like chucking dumplings (with added garlic and herbs) into a stew for half hour or so before eating. 

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you spend long enough in the boozer, anything and everything is edible.

Except maybe tripe.

N

And the second cooking of whatever is in the pot after day two in the boozer is even better 🤤

once tried tripe, 

it’s best cooked in lots of butter,

heavily peppered,

and thrown out the window for the fish