Another Bridge Quiz

GUMPY

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I lived not far from there at one time, so I had a good idea roughly where it was straight away. Didn't take much searching to confirm.

As an apprentice I lived not far from there but clearly spent too much time in the pubs of Bath rather than taking in the sights of the local canal.

• Happy 1

What about this one, for which I do not know the location. When given to me, it was suggested as the Lancaster, but there is no towpath. However, the bridge parapet does seem to have some sort of protection against wear by tow lines, so it could be on a navigation. Any suggestions?

Lancaster? 294.jpg

I suspect the lamp and bridge design was at the behest of the "big house" whose driveway seems to cross the bridge. I have been tring to judge the height of the people with the  height of the bridge arch and the arch look a bit low, so could this be a tub boat canal or only used by cabinless day boats.

I thought Wales, but it's not on the Montgomery, and it's certainly not on the Lancaster. Looking on Google maps at the entire length of the Mon & Brec comes up with nothing like it. That big wall with the gates has to be to some Manor house, that's not likely to have disappeared in 100yrs. The lamp posts are set to cover the lock, rather than the gates. The characters on the bridge look to me as adult male & female with child.

Love to know where it is.

10 hours ago, Pluto said:

What about this one, for which I do not know the location. When given to me, it was suggested as the Lancaster, but there is no towpath. However, the bridge parapet does seem to have some sort of protection against wear by tow lines, so it could be on a navigation. Any suggestions?

Lancaster? 294.jpg

I'm reasonably certain that's North Road lock in Cardiff on the Glamorgan Canal 

14 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm reasonably certain that's North Road lock in Cardiff on the Glamorgan Canal 

A quick Google search confirms you're correct -here's another photo:

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Images-of-Welsh-Canals-and-Waterways/image/33/Glamorganshire_Canal_Cardiff_North_Road_Lock

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Somewhere in the vicinity? It's changed a bit!

It's called a feeder canal at this point.

https://tinyurl.com/4hj4e8bm

That's looking towards the Castle. North Road runs parallel the other side of the drama college. Blackweir ambulance station behind aways.

The feeder canal is an entirely different waterway, built to feed the docks, the Glamorgan Canal crossed over it

You're all making me nostalgoc for when I lived in Cardiff now!