River Severn - Upper Lode Lock closed

Francis Herne

Featured Posts

Collar has failed on one of the top gates at Upper Lode (just south of the Avon merge).

Lock closed until further notice; next update Monday.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23241-river-severn-navigation-upper-lode-lock

I went to have a look, they seemed to be securing the gate with big ratchet straps or similar.

8 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

Collar has failed on one of the top gates at Upper Lode (just south of the Avon merge).

Lock closed until further notice; next update Monday.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23241-river-severn-navigation-upper-lode-lock

I went to have a look, they seemed to be securing the gate with big ratchet straps or similar.

I heard they will need a big crane to lift the gate and looking at Google Earth there seems to be a fair amount of overhanging trees on the track to the lock which I suspect will require cutting back. We are at Tewkesbury hoping to visit Gloucester but I get the feeling this may run on awhile. Moorings at Tewkesbury are rather full now so it's going to be a bit chaotic if this isn't fixed soon.

Edited to add
The latest stoppage notice says the next update is Monday

Edited by Midnight

8 hours ago, Midnight said:

So much for C&RT's announcement "We are mobilising urgently and will update this notice with further information on Monday 5th September." 

Urgently mobilising what?

I was told second-hand on Friday that they did hire a crane in, but it couldn't reach the lock because access track too overgrown. 🤦‍♂️ Need some trees cut back before trying that again.

Edited by Francis Herne

4 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

I was told second-hand on Friday that they did hire a crane in, but it couldn't reach the lock because access track too overgrown. 🤦‍♂️ Need some trees cut back before trying that again.

Fire brigade told Avon Lockie that there was a weak bridge along the track too. Hope it's not too long if you are still at Tewkesbury.

14 hours ago, Midnight said:

Fire brigade told Avon Lockie that there was a weak bridge along the track too. Hope it's not too long if you are still at Tewkesbury.

I'm still here - no urgent need to be anywhere else, but leaving the boat for a few days late next week so I'll have to find somewhere with safer moorings if this goes on.

,The guys moored next to me were worried about river levels on the Severn with the thunderstorms forecast and went back to Diglis. Wondering if I should join them.

Today's update; no news really

-----

Further to the notice below, we are sorry to advise that Upper Lode Lock remains closed whilst our teams and contractors continue to mobilise to site.

As previously mentioned, the gates require lifting before the new collar can be installed.

Contractors are currently assessing the site to confirm access arrangements for the crane, once this has been confirmed we will be able to confirm the date for this repair to take place.

We will update this notice tomorrow when we have more information from our contractors.

Edited by Francis Herne

25 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

............Contractors are currently assessing the site to confirm access arrangements for the crane.............

Don't these lightweight C&RT managers have risk assessments and continuity project plans for these occasions. My dog could do a better job and he's been dead for 2 years!

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Don't these lightweight C&RT managers have risk assessments and continuity project plans for these occasions. My dog could do a better job and he's been dead for 2 years!

Ah, I do seem to remember meeting you at Wadenhoe lock last summer, which had failed that morning, and took over 2 weeks to fix as the EA no longer keep stock of spare gear boxes and the refurbishing company had no stock either. Another lock failed whilst we were on the Nene, yet again gearbox failure. 

We had to cancel a planned Wash crossing and pootle about on our paddle boards slowly returning home.

Did your dog subcontract for the EA as well...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Did your dog subcontract for the EA as well...

No he applied to be a consultant and had he been successful would have suggested something really radical like "keep a few spare gearboxes in stock" 

• Greenie 1

I wandered down to have a look, but at the moment there's nothing happening and no-one on site but the lock keeper. There's a shiny-new-looking collar on the affected gate which is still strapped in place.

Keeper didn't know very much - still no progress on getting a crane down the lane, but there's pressure from Above to get it sorted "pretty imminently". Not sure how to square that.

IMG_20220908_140621.jpg

CRT update - good news for many!!!

Update on 08/09/2022:

Further to the notice below, we are pleased to advise that our teams have managed to close the broken gate at Upper Lode, therefore the lock is now open for vessels with a width of 15ft or less. The lock will operate with this 15ft width restriction in place until the full repair is undertaken on 13th September. 

On Tuesday 13th September Upper Lode Lock will be closed for the day, in order for the new collar to be fitted.

We will update this notice once the work is complete on Tuesday and navigation is unrestricted. 

Lock gate is fully repaired.

However for Monday on the river and canal CRT have asked boaters to avoid passage through bridges and locks that require CRT operations.  If you do intend to travel advance booking is required.

Added - by end of work this Friday

Edited by Chewbacka