Paint additive

Davids

Featured Posts

I usually give the boat a couple of coats of paint every 2 years. Due to circumstances I'm a bit late starting this year and the weather has started to change.

The paint I'm using is oil based, which takes up to 24 hours to cure. Not ideal, but is there an additive I can add to the paint to speed up the drying a bit?

Cheers

David

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/09/2022 at 20:04, Davids said:

I usually give the boat a couple of coats of paint every 2 years. Due to circumstances I'm a bit late starting this year and the weather has started to change.

The paint I'm using is oil based, which takes up to 24 hours to cure. Not ideal, but is there an additive I can add to the paint to speed up the drying a bit?

Cheers

David

I don't use additives, the manufacturer has made most retail type paints for a reasonably broad range of conditions. See the data sheet.

The paint does not so much dry as cure.

It's late in the year, it's likely you will not be able to start much before noon, and finish before five. Temperature (steel and air), humidity, dew point all need to be factored in, so I don't see how you can put two coats on in one day.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

it's likely you will not be able to start much before noon, and finish before five. Temperature (steel and air), humidity, dew point all need to be factored in, so I don't see how you can put two coats on in one day.

Your advice is getting worse, there is no way you should be putting paint on anywhere near 5 at this time of year.

If outside, the painting season has pretty much finished if you want anything other than a rubbish job that has to be corrected next year.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I think you will be having real problems with oil-based paints now. Your paint will be slow to go off and will stay soft much longer. I was a bit late doing my roof, which needed painting for the winter. The first four coats were done with not-very-easy to brush fast drying paint. But the first coat I did with 8 spray cans of galvanising paint to get it started, followed by two coats of Teamac rapid dry primer/undercoat to get the build of paint. 

So far, no flatting, it can be done next year for a better finish. Not quite done. It had two coats of a fast-drying floor paint, followed by a final, for this year, coat of oil-based floor paint. I did some light keying up with 240 for that. It has taken a week for it to reach any kind of hardening. The steel is protected for the winter, and cosmetics can wait till next year. 

I found the Teamac very useful, under the conditions, but there's hardly any such thing as a wet edge. The paint is really meant to be sprayed. 

Edited by Higgs

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Your advice is getting worse, there is no way you should be putting paint on anywhere near 5 at this time of year.

If outside, the painting season has pretty much finished if you want anything other than a rubbish job that has to be corrected next year.

I suggest you tell the OP why he should not paint , rather than criticising me all the time. 

Its not about the time of day it's about the dew point etc as I detailed . There maybe a few windows of opportunity, there may not. He wants to paint, I would wait till next year.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I respond to your post as you give out bad advice about painting, not for the first time either.

It's my opinion based on my painting experience. 

Anyone painting should buy suitable paints, take expert advice, and read the data sheet. If they use unsuitable paints, don't prep properly, ignore the technical requirements that's their choice.

Edited by LadyG

On 01/09/2022 at 20:04, Davids said:

Cheers

David

I'm not sure why you'd need to paint your boat every 2 years, unless you're not prepping or painting properly in the first place?

Anyway, why don't you just wait until next spring to paint it? If you're really doing it every couple of years then it must be well protected so leaving it over autumn & winter won't make much difference.

Edited by blackrose

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's my opinion based on my painting experience. 

Anyone painting should buy suitable paints, take expert advice, and read the data sheet. If they use unsuitable paints, don't prep properly, ignore the technical requirements that's their choice.

Only @matty40sis allowed an opinion and he’s always right 

25 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Am I supposed to be impressed?. My point was he thinks only his OPINION counts. 

Well he knows his onions regarding boat maintenance and painting, unlike many on here, so in that context I do value his opinion over some others.

43 minutes ago, Chris John said:

I don't think this is the first time you have taken a pop at contributors who really know their subject and try to ensure misleading information is countered. If you have yet to work out who knows what they are talking about and who may not perhaps it would be better to stay quiet.

FYI When I worked at a hire fleet the boats started to come out in October to be painted in the open air. The painters never pained after lunch or before they were sure all the dew had gone. Sometimes they messed up and the next morning fund that they had a matt finish. This tells me that Matty is correct.

It also seems clear to me that LadyG often posts very questionable advice on all sorts of topics so to prevent misleading others needs putting straight. I don't for a minute think she does it for anything other than the best of motives.

As far as I am concerned, yes his opinion does count, and counts far more than anything I have seen from you.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, Chris John said:

He doesnt, he enjoys debate and other opinions.

You make it your days enjoyment to attack the poster not the content yet again, as you do with anything CRT related.

Preparing the boat is the main thing, my ethos is to prep properly, use good paints, follow data sheet, etc etc. I reckon this should provide protection for three to five years, if rust comes through in year one or two it has not been prepped properly, coated properly, or something has has occurred.

I know some people paint every two years, but I doubt they are stripping back every two years.

My painting in a shed last year cost about £300 materials, £200 for overheads, shed and electric, my labour was two weeks.i don't intend to do that again, it could well last another five years with a few touch ups. As I said before, painting can cost anything from £4k to £14k, and in two years you can add another twenty percent. 

I am sure there are people who know more about boat painting than me, but there are more who know less.