BSS and Emergency Exits

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have recently bought a boat and have a question regarding the requirements for exits in the Boat Safety Scheme: are the BSS requirements for emergency exits fulfilled by having an exit at stern and bow, or should there be another?

I would like to remove some steps under a side hatch, but the previous owner thinks they may be needed as an exit.

Thanks.

Edited by 170968

20 minutes ago, 170968 said:

Hello,

I have recently bought a boat and have a question regarding the requirements for exits in the Boat Safety Scheme: are the BSS requirements for emergency exits fulfilled by having an exit at stern and bow, or should there be another?

I would like to remove some steps under a side hatch, but the previous owner thinks they may be needed as an exit.

Thanks.

A great example of a BSS rule which is a matter of opinion. 

My opinion is even without steps, in an emergency you'd easily clamber out of a side hatch than die.

Take the steps out! 

Edited by MtB
Remove the tautology

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

A great example of a BSS rule which is a matter of opinion. 

My opinion is even without steps, in an emergency you'd easily clamber out of a side hatch than die.

Take the steps out! 

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't think that the exits have to be easy as long as you can get out.  Canaltime boats have no front exit but the front side windows open fully and serve as exits, must be right as they are hire boats and the regs for those are higher.

Thanks MtB and Tracy.

I just looked up the guidance and it looks quite straightforward. The idea is that you should always be able to "turn your back to the problem" and have an exit available. I'll remove the steps.

1 minute ago, AndrewIC said:

The “two means of escape” BSS check (6.3.1) is an advisory on privately owned and managed boats, it’s only a mandatory requirement on hire boats.

You beat me to it

image.png.98e47afae356235950445a4b5ea9867d.png

• Greenie 1

At least as important as the exits is signs indicating where they are.  They should be about 2ft high and flashing fluorescent.  Ideally they should be redesigned and replaced every couple of years (as with all signs).   The only exception to this is the toilet.  It is a quirk of British regulation that is almost a requirement that the direction of exit from a toilet shall be unobvious.

In about 1942 (?)  green illuminated arrows on the floor of passageways were introduced after a sunk boat was found to have everybody drowned in the wrong part of the boat.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

The “two means of escape” BSS check (6.3.1) is an advisory on privately owned and managed boats, it’s only a mandatory requirement on hire boats.

Ah, I hadn't noticed this when I looked it up. Thanks Andrew and everyone else who commented. You've all been very helpful.

Now I just need to work out how to remove the steps without creating an eyesore.

1 hour ago, 170968 said:

Now I just need to work out how to remove the steps without creating an eyesore.

What is the reason for removing the steps? Getting more space when walking past the hatch? No idea what the steps look like on your boat, but there may be possibilities if left in place, or replaced with a steeper set of steps. Add doors to them and turn them in to cupboards, or replace with a cupboard with convenient step like features. Lots of possibilities.

The second egress point on a lot of boats relies on adrenaline getting you up and out of an opening many people wouldn't normally attempt. It is amazing what fear and adrenaline will get some one to do, if the boat is sinking, or on fire, but at some point it won't get you up and through something. Worth thinking who is going to be using the boat, both now and in a few years as strength and agility change.

Jen

The main thing to make sure of is that none of the exits can be locked from the outside while there are people inside. I know it sounds obvious and I'm not sure if it's covered by the BSS, but you'd be surprised at the number of boats you pass with smoke coming out of the chimney and external padlocks on one set of doors or the side hatches.

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What is the reason for removing the steps? Getting more space when walking past the hatch? No idea what the steps look like on your boat, but there may be possibilities if left in place, or replaced with a steeper set of steps. Add doors to them and turn them in to cupboards, or replace with a cupboard with convenient step like features. Lots of possibilities.

The second egress point on a lot of boats relies on adrenaline getting you up and out of an opening many people wouldn't normally attempt. It is amazing what fear and adrenaline will get some one to do, if the boat is sinking, or on fire, but at some point it won't get you up and through something. Worth thinking who is going to be using the boat, both now and in a few years as strength and agility change.

Jen

The reason is that I need to put one end of a futon where the steps currently are. Otherwise the futon will be sticking out ~10" at one end. The futon will also provide a step to clamber out of the hatch, if it is ever necessary.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

The main thing to make sure of is that none of the exits can be locked from the outside while there are people inside. I know it sounds obvious and I'm not sure if it's covered by the BSS, but you'd be surprised at the number of boats you pass with smoke coming out of the chimney and external padlocks on one set of doors or the side hatches.

Yes I've noticed that myself. It is concerning.

The doors do have the ability to be locked from outside, but I won't be using this on the front doors as they lock well enough from within. I've always thought it's a bit of a giveaway that no one is inside.

Thanks for the reply.

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

Or a pile of crap in the well deck against the door including in some cases a gas cylinder