Sausages & bacon

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

I tried part boiling fat sausages before frying instead of splitting them. Splitting them gets nice caramelized taste 

They were not as good when hot but really nice cold with dijon mustard. 

re Tod, was hoping to cruise in company to get through locks, but not seen another boat for a week! Will set off as soon as it's not raining

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I tried part boiling fat sausages before frying instead of splitting them. Splitting them gets nice caramelized taste 

re Tod, was hoping to cruise in company to get through locks, but not seen another boat for a week! Will set off as soon as it's not raining

By the way things are going weather wise that will probably be sometime late spring.  Well if the weather up here is anything to go by it will be.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

My dad used to like black pudding rings, boiled not fried, with tomatoes, mustard and a barm cake. Not the Bury black puddings, the ones from Thornleys Bolton with proper chunks of fat in them. Not sure if they are still going. 

17 minutes ago, Ianws said:

My dad used to like black pudding rings, boiled not fried, with tomatoes, mustard and a barm cake. Not the Bury black puddings, the ones from Thornleys Bolton with proper chunks of fat in them. Not sure if they are still going. 

I'm not sure what barm cake is, there is something call plum loaf here.

Ive not seen black pudding like that for years, I usually get Howie's which is Scottish and does taste good if hard fried with black pepper.. 

It's one of those local terms for a bread roll/bap whatever you call them. In the North West it's common for chippys to offer a chip barm, chips on a  bread roll  

Not sure exactly where you are or are  heading @LadyG but around Blackburn they get a bit weird with bread rolls and  what they describe as teacakes. 

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

Black pudding is best served cold without further cooking, its yummy, just remove the plastic lol. 

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure what barm cake is, there is something call plum loaf here.

Ive not seen black pudding like that for years, I usually get Howie's which is Scottish and does taste good if hard fried with black pepper.. 

Stopped in Ferrybridge once and went to the local bakers, my then partner pointed at what she wanted. The lady behind the counter pronounced 'you want some scufflers?'  A word I had never heard before or since!

22 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Stopped in Ferrybridge once and went to the local bakers, my then partner pointed at what she wanted. The lady behind the counter pronounced 'you want some scufflers?'  A word I had never heard before or since!

Scufflers are lovely. Baked in one but scored then cut into triangles, so look like a pizza section bread cake. Smashin stuff and very popular round Cas vegas, Ponte carlo, feverly Hills and Vietnorm area.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

My dad was a master baker at Johnson's Bakery in Pontefract (Tanshelf, to be more precise...), he made scufflers both there and at home...

Imagine a circular bread cake about 10" in diameter, scored in a cross so after baking it can be broken into 4 quadrants. That's a scuffler... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

, its yummy, just remove the plastic lol. 

There is no plastic on a proper black pudding.  They are (should be) made by filling a section of well scrubbed pig intestine.  Remember that only the oink gets wasted.

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

There is no plastic on a proper black pudding.  They are (should be) made by filling a section of well scrubbed pig intestine.  Remember that only the oink gets wasted.

N

Agreed. Problem is we cannot buy the proper stuff other than Lancashire and Yorkshire :( As soon as you hit the south of England ( Sheffield ) it all goes tits up ;)

• Haha 1

Gonna throw an opinion here: give Richmond's vegan sausages a go! As someone that recently turned vegan, I've been massively disappointed with the vegan sausages on offer. But the Richmond ones (can come in a bag frozen or sometimes in the fresh section) are simply incredible. Couple that with some mashed potato, peas and a gravy made from a knorr stockpot and a simple roux and you've got yourself a meal!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sigsegv said:

Gonna throw an opinion here: give Richmond's vegan sausages a go! As someone that recently turned vegan, I've been massively disappointed with the vegan sausages on offer. But the Richmond ones (can come in a bag frozen or sometimes in the fresh section) are simply incredible. Couple that with some mashed potato, peas and a gravy made from a knorr stockpot and a simple roux and you've got yourself a meal!

Gravy does not sound very vegan. .

I eat plenty of veggies, but fish and chips can't be beaten. Except for a bacon sandwich when really hungry. Yummmmm

5 hours ago, sigsegv said:

Why not just eat proper vegan food? wilted leaf of lettuce, bowl of hot water, etc etc? why oh why do you have to eat pretend food? sausages have been a meat based product for centuries. Like facon bacon, whats the bloody point, just eat vegan stuff, no need to pretend.

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Gravy does not sound very vegan. .

I eat plenty of veggies, but fish and chips can't be beaten. Except for a bacon sandwich when really hungry. Yummmmm

Nowt wrong with vegetarianism, we have a sprog that has been veggie since she was five years old, she is now 48. However, she never touches gimmick food, if there is nowt on a restauran,t or pub menu that is veggie specific, zero fuss, she just asks for a bowl of veg/rice/pasta etc etc.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

sausages have been a meat based product for centuries. Like facon bacon, whats the bloody point

It's nice that you seem so concerned with what other people are eating 🙂 the point would be giving people not wanting to eat meat more options. If you're happy eating meat then that's fine, it doesn't affect you. But for those that don't want to, having more options and lowering the bar can, in my mind, only be seen as a good thing. I'm not too concerned with whether something has been done for hundreds of years as a justification for anything to be honest - it's just nice to be able to have a decent sausage.

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Gravy does not sound very vegan.

Well, a base vegetable stock (I cheat and use Knorr stock pots or the veggie Oxo cubes), with some reduced mushrooms etc, thickened with a basic roux gets you pretty far! Maybe a bit of red wine in there too and you're left with a pretty delicious sauce

The best "gravy" I've ever had is a recipe from a vegetarian restaurant called food for friends. Slowly cooked, worked through a sieve, wine or port involved. Probably more of a sauce than a traditional gravy but bloody good and works with meat or vegetarian dishes. 

Also lots of gravy granules are vegan, if that's what you need for a quick meal. 

8 hours ago, sigsegv said:

I've bought them several times and yes they taste great, but I find an hour later they repeat on you horribly. Burps that taste of nothing but chemicals. Horrid and so disappointing.

Was that too much information?