Sausages & bacon

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

I love 'em and have tried what I think is pretty much ideal - Tesco Finest. 

Sausage casing nice and thin, not chewy, don't burst plenty of meat content. 

Bacon - dry cured thick sliced - no white gunge to scrape off in the frying pan and no spitting. 

Mmmm... 

Its harder and harder to find a decent banger from a supermarket these days, either processed to death containing who knows what or the so-called “premium” ones that seem to have as much breadcrumb as meat giving an odd lumpy texture :( 

Only ever get dry cured bacon, nobody wants a fry pan half full of the water they inject the meat with to bring up the weight 🤢

I have tried Finest soss,  and find them variable. They can be good, but sometimes are not

Cannot beat our local butchers: Stacey's of Somerton sausages.  Nice plump traditional pork bangers.  Well behaved under the grill, on the barbie and in the George Foreman thingy.  They fry well too, with no tendency to burst even if you are clumsy with the tongs and pierce the skin.

Other flavours are available, including Cumberland, Welsh Dragon, Tolouse and Pork and Sage.

N

We've had lots of Tesco finest, can't fault them. 

We have a good local butchers, sausages OK but texture not quite right and skins a bit chewy when eaten cold, their dry cured bacon is nice, but, it has that horrible white preservative when frying -. yuk! 

The best bacon I've ever tasted by far was oak smoked from the butchers at Kinver, pricey and looked unappetising in the shop but transformed in the pan, I still daydream about it, 10/10. 

ETA: I always cook my bangers in the oven. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

We've had lots of Tesco finest, can't fault them. 

We have a good local butchers, sausages OK but texture not quite right and skins a bit chewy when eaten cold, their dry cured bacon is nice, but, it has that horrible white preservative when frying -. yuk! 

The best bacon I've ever tasted by far was oak smoked from the butchers at Kinver, pricey and looked unappetising in the shop but transformed in the pan, I still daydream about it, 10/10. 

Yes, I’ve tried their smoked bacon. It’s good!

I always get smoked streaky from a butchers if I can. I don’t buy a lot of meat, so I can justify the extra pennies of getting quality when I can. 

Streaky because I like the fat more than the meat 🤤

Alvechurch have tomato and black pudding sausages! Big fat things. 
😋 

Our local butcher has an abbatoir and produces excellent meat. I like their smoked bacon. Ive never seen it elsewhere  its not cut through, but has similar or a bit more thickness-  so its well over twice as long as a normal rasher that fits in the plastic at supermarkets, great for putting over turkeys and tasty as a long piece from a grill or barbecue or you can just cut as normal. It also still has the rind on 

Another local butcher does great sausages but then his marriage went west, all publicly in womans own magazine, lots of stuff about stuffing, pork and things, sadly put me right off going. 

59 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Full English with Branston baked beans cooked cowboy style till they're 'claggy', luscious juices mopped up with a slice of white bread thickly buttered with Lurpak and washed down with a mug of tea. Yay! 😋👌👍🇬🇧

Don’t forget the tomatoes with an oxo cube mixed in . Heaven 🤩

When I first got to the good 'ole US of A, I was ordering breakfast, and included sausages - I was asked 'links or patties?' I ordered patties, and ever since (since 1971!) my breakfast sausage of choice is pure ground pork meat, about a golf ball size flattened to an inch, dusted with flour and cooked in the oven. About six of them. Absolutely delicious. With bacon, eggs, etc.

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

its not cut through, but has similar or a bit more thickness-  so its well over twice as long as a normal rasher

That is called middle cut  bacon.  The usual super market cut is back bacon (or streaky for the fattier bit from the belly.)  There is an excellent bacon sarnie in every rasher of middle cut.

N

• Greenie 2

I go for chipolatas as I seem to risk getting pink in the middle, or I sometimes cut a fattie in half and get a more caramelised meat. 

The percentage of meat is always on the package, but it is about texture and of course the casing must not be thick and almost indigestible.

I tried Heck one or twice, OK when on offer, but not at full price.

Lidl btw sell Scotch rolls from their own bakery. For some reason the local Lidl seemed to get it wrong, rather compact and dry. And why we can't get Bell's Scotch pies in Morrisons in England when they sell Howie's haggis (meat only ), and black pudding is a complete mystery. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Full English with Branston baked beans cooked cowboy style till they're 'claggy', luscious juices mopped up with a slice of white bread thickly buttered with Lurpak and washed down with a mug of tea. Yay! 😋👌👍🇬🇧

Don’t know why I gave you a greenie, should be reporting you for mental cruelty this time of night 🤪

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I go for chipolatas as I seem to risk getting pink in the middle, or I sometimes cut a fattie in half and get a more caramelised meat. 

The percentage of meat is always on the package, but it is about texture and of course the casing must not be thick and almost indigestible.

I tried Heck one or twice, OK when on offer, but not at full price.

I use a steak thermometer on all my meat, safer, takes out guesswork. 

I find Heck to have bits of gristle and skins a bit chewy when cold and go a bit bobbly when cooked. 

12 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Don’t know why I gave you a greenie, should be reporting you for mental cruelty this time of night 🤪

+ to finish a thick slice of wholegrain toast with more Lurpak and slathered on and our locally homemade Seville marmalade layered on, makes the hairs on the back of your neck prickle. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

Theeeeeeee most important meal of the day. Having left the Pig place and its superb bacon, sausages and pork of all types I now have to eat stuff turned out in the soopermarket or local butchers. However I am a member of the local Clwb Brecwast and we go out a couple of times a week to different venues over here to sample various breakfasts. Tis amazing how different they can be, some places even do a veggie option :o still, no washing up to do. I can supply a list of good breakfast spots over ere if required lol.

• Greenie 1

We get excellent smoked dry-cured middle bacon -- long thick middle-cut rashers -- by post from Slack's in Cumbria. It's better than pretty much any butcher's bacon we've ever found, even from recommended high-class butchers.

Buy several pounds at a time and freeze it (if you've got some space) and it's also reasonably priced -- about half what places like Harrods sell it for, IIRC...

(not that I've ever shopped there, obviously)

9 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

+ to finish a thick slice of wholegrain toast with more Lurpak and slathered on and our locally homemade Seville marmalade layered on, makes the hairs on the back of your neck prickle. 

Surprising how many people forget about the desert 🧈

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

baked beans cooked cowboy style till they're 'claggy',

I’m the only one in our house who likes them like that :( wife will happily just warm them over in a pan or microwave, and my daughter will no longer eat them or any other bean since she had her braces.