'Well being' is it worthwhile?

Midnight

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a rather unfair nickname, if a witty one: you don't get a degree from Oxford University by being thick.

It very much depends on one's definition of intelligence (academic, emotional, etc). Arguably there are lots of stupid people that come out of even the best universities. 

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The paddles on most of the canals I've been on are made of steel but there's loads not working.

I was talking about the lock gates rather than paddles specifically. 

You asked "How come the Avon Trust manage to keep all the locks in good condition" I was responding to that question. Steel paddles in wooden lock gates seem less robust more likely to break to me.

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

It very much depends on one's definition of intelligence (academic, emotional, etc). Arguably there are lots of stupid people that come out of even the best universities. 

I remember back in the early 70's  when I first started doing gigs in universities and having to deal with students, I was surprised how the so called creme de la creme of youth could be so terminally thick and lacking in any form of common sense. I guess not much has changed in 50 years.

On 31/08/2022 at 19:28, dmr said:

And saddest of all I have now spoken to so many towpath walkers who say the towpath is no longer a healthy relaxing place to be due to the speeding and aggressive cyclists, so much for wellbeing.

I fully understand that the "blue sign pandemic" is something CRT feel will help secure another government grant. I was never convinced by this, but with "Thick Lizzie" in charge and a plan for low tax and cuts cuts cuts I really think CRT have blown it.

We have just come up the GU from Brentford to Bulls Br.
I would like to encourage a film Co to put together a film of the Tow Path along this Water Gateway into Central London and the North.
It is anything but healthy or relaxing.
It is however just like a visit to a third world city riverside slum!
It made me 
embarrass to call myself a Londoner.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, oboat said:

We have just come up the GU from Brentford to Bulls Br.
I would like to encourage a film Co to put together a film of the Tow Path along this Water Gateway into Central London and the North.
It is anything but healthy or relaxing.
It is however just like a visit to a third world city riverside slum!
It made me 
embarrass to call myself a Londoner.

It is interesting that C&RTs "Visitors to the waterways satisfaction" survey shows an annual reduction in visitor satisfaction levels.

2018/19 = 92%

2019/20 = 87%

2020/21 = 84%

Source : C&RTs annual published accounts.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is interesting that C&RTs "Visitors to the waterways satisfaction" survey shows an annual reduction in visitor satisfaction levels.

2018/19 = 92%

2019/20 = 87%

2020/21 = 84%

How many hundreds of billions of unsatisfactory waterways visits does that reduction equal?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT announced that there were 743,000,000 visits to the canal in 2020/21

So 118,880,000 unsatisfactory visits, much of which time was during lock downs once a day exercise period, when people were so keen to get out of the house that they would be prepared to put up with a lot more dissatisfaction than usual.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2018/19 = 92%

2019/20 = 87%

2020/21 = 84%

Actually, the visitor satisfaction figure for 2019/20 was 81% in the annual report approved by the board. CRT subsequently falsified the report that was already displayed on its website and filed a falsified report with the Charity Commission. 

The trustees blamed the chair, deputy chair and chief executive claiming that they were acting in good faith trying to correct an error. 

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)
  • Horror 1

6 hours ago, Athy said:

It's a rather unfair nickname, if a witty one: you don't get a degree from Oxford University by being thick.

There are many kinds of intelligence. I worked as a research technician at a university with some very clever people. In some cases their cleverness was not limited to their subject, in others it most definitely was.

I believe it was Isaac Asimov who said words to the effect that car mechanics and scientists were both intelligent but in different ways.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Indeed

51 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I believe it was Isaac Asimov who said words to the effect that car mechanics and scientists were both intelligent but in different ways.

Indeed

I believe it was Isaac Newton who said "Bugger, I wish I hadn't sat beneath this damn apple tree"

• Haha 1

To those of an even marginally technical background I've had the same answer (from different candidates) to two very different questions:-

• How would you measure the impedance of a VHF aerial?
  • How would you measure the source impedance of the mains supply on this site?

In both cases the response was "with an Avo on the Ohms range" - I'll leave others to spot the flaw in both cases

Knowledge does not equal intelligence...

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So 118,880,000 unsatisfactory visits, much of which time was during lock downs once a day exercise period, when people were so keen to get out of the house that they would be prepared to put up with a lot more dissatisfaction than usual.

Which given the combined population of England and Wales, where CaRT operate, every person living there had on average two unsatisfactory visits to a CaRT canal or river in a twelve month period.

• Haha 1