HELP!!!

Bbirdman22

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Bbirdman22 said:

Hi guys, just an updated. Been towed by a lovely gentleman who also gave me a care package as I’ve been away from shops for so long. Engineer comes Friday. Thanks all, hopefully the issue will be addressed and not too expensive 

Excellent. I've hitched tows from a fair few boats in my time  as well as repaying the compliment once or twice. People on boats are generally very nice. Very glad you're sorted.

Glad it's sorted out. Only time I have been towed was when we ran a Middlewich hire boat out of diesel and were bowhauling it from Chester down to Chas Harden's. A friendly passing hire boat asked if we would like a tow which we gratefully accepted! However we have towed and would happily do so again if the need arose.

Bowhauling is worth being aware of, although rather difficult single-handed, however you can make a few miles of progress per day so it does eventually get you out of a hole, assuming you are physically able.

Alec

Towing is good fun.  Challenges your steering a bit, adds variety to cruising and gives the engine a bit of an extra workout.  Slow going in narrow lock flights though.  Towing a boat backwards is even more fun.

I would always offer a tow to someone bow hauling, unless they were festooned with charity adverts or the like making it clear they were not in the market for a snatch.  

N

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

On the Thunderboat forum (link below), is a very knowledgeable chap, named Tony Dunkley. It may be worth asking over there. I suspect he is not offering you a tow, but may be able to help with advice.

Good luck

https://thunderboat.boards.net/

Tony Dunkley is a first class engineer, semi-retired now, but a lifetime of experience, and Works trained at Listers. You could not do better.

5 hours ago, GHL said:

Tony Dunkley is a first class engineer, semi-retired now, but a lifetime of experience, and Works trained at Listers. You could not do better.

I have heard he is very knowledgable especially regarding navigating the Trent.

Wasn't he sacked from this forum for being rather outspoken?

8 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have heard he is very knowledgable especially regarding navigating the Trent.

Wasn't he sacked from this forum for being rather outspoken?

Can you get sacked from a chat Forum?

maybe he just argued his opinions too much, for some not to like it, that’s what discussion forums are for. Nothing wrong with arguing your point. 

Edited by PD1964

35 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

maybe he just argued his opinions too much, for some not to like it, that’s what discussion forums are for. Nothing wrong with arguing your point. 

Of course you can. Well, your account can be suspended anyway. If you don't abide by the forum rules, or the moderators are unable to interpret the rules.

There was a large cull a few years back. Hence the formation of the Thunderboat forum, which Tony is a member of.

I think the site owner did say that any members could contact him  and have the reason for the ban reviewed, and options considered. However, I doubt any banned members have actually done so in practice.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I think he went beyond acceptable discussion and he may have got personal so the mods acted. There was a lot of dissent at the time about excessive a far from impartial modding, so he may have made his feelings about certain mods a bit too plain for them. I don't think the problem was caused by any of the present mods. He can get very forceful at times and sometimes his language slips.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think he went beyond acceptable discussion and he may have got personal so the mods acted. There was a lot of dissent at the time about excessive a far from impartial modding, so he may have made his feelings about certain mods a bit too plain for them. I don't think the problem was caused by any of the present mods. He can get very forceful at times and sometimes his language slips.

Yes, shame really. Although his manner can be abrupt at times, his wealth of knowledge of the waterways and boats is, in my opinion, vast.

It is a shame one of the biggest inland waterways boating forums on the internet wants to deprive others of his input, but then, I don't know what was said at the time.

20 hours ago, Athy said:

We have been members of RCR for some fifteen years. Their policy has always been, if you break down, we'll get you moving again. So that's what they should do. Did they give you a reason why they wouldn't?

We'd had great service from RCR for many years, until a couple of years ago our tiller snapped on the Avon. RCR's response was basically "good luck, you're on your own". We were a little surprised.

Fortunately an octogenarian campervan owner in the next field managed to liberate a couple of clips from some nearby Heras fencing, which just about got the tiller clamped back on for the trip downstream to Bidford Boats - who welded it back together quickly, efficiently and cheaply!

RCR have otherwise always been very good so I'm inclined to put it down to too much work mid-pandemic.

17 hours ago, agg221 said:

Glad it's sorted out. Only time I have been towed was when we ran a Middlewich hire boat out of diesel and were bowhauling it from Chester down to Chas Harden's. A friendly passing hire boat asked if we would like a tow which we gratefully accepted! However we have towed and would happily do so again if the need arose.

Bowhauling is worth being aware of, although rather difficult single-handed, however you can make a few miles of progress per day so it does eventually get you out of a hole, assuming you are physically able.

Ha, I remember that! Phoning up Chris Cliff at Middlewich to ask what the policy was about refuelling. "You can't have run out of diesel." "I promise you we have." "No, it must be something else. How far have you gone?" "Stourport." "Oh, ok, maybe you have run out of diesel then."

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yes, shame really. Although his manner can be abrupt at times, his wealth of knowledge of the waterways and boats is, in my opinion, vast.

It is a shame one of the biggest inland waterways boating forums on the internet wants to deprive others of his input, but then, I don't know what was said at the time.

Abrupt is a fairly mild description of his approach online, sadly. Enough was said, and often enough, at that time, for most us to be grateful for the deliverance from a barrage of abuse, which now seems to be a general opinion on Thunderboat, too. It's fine not suffering fools gladly, but you do have to be able to discriminate between the genuine idiots and those who just disagree with you.

It's a shame, because his knowledge is vast and his helpfulness in person is great. I think he, and most of the dear departed, wander back over here every now and then under a variety of pseudonyms and really, to use a relevant metaphor, it was long ago and water under the bridge.

16 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Of course you can. Well, your account can be suspended anyway. If you don't abide by the forum rules, or the moderators are unable to interpret the rules.

There was a large cull a few years back. Hence the formation of the Thunderboat forum, which Tony is a member of.

I think the site owner did say that any members could contact him  and have the reason for the ban reviewed, and options considered. However, I doubt any banned members have actually done so in practice.

If we are going to discuss Tony Dunkley, I can confirm his knowledge of the Trent is excellent, but he has an attitude problem and considers his solution to be the only solution, having told me what I should do, he went in to tirade mode, aggressive and nasty, I complained to forum providers and to the police. I closed my TB account He was also wrong in his prognosis, though not having seen my boat he decided the professional advice was incorrect 

On 31/08/2022 at 16:19, Bbirdman22 said:

Hi, could anyone give me a tow from Colehurst Farm, 2DU, Coventry to Brinklow Marina. Approximately 1hr of cursing? My head gasket has gone, I’ve only just bought the boat from the Ashby Canal Centre. Absolutely gutted and in need of some advice/assistance. Thanks guys

I think you should contact trading standards, and get a report from engineer about the engine, sounds suspicious having a massive failure after one hour . Boat not fit for purpose. Who owned the boat, this might be important 

Edited by LadyG

When I was stuck on a canal with no passing boats , I had to get a tow by a narrowboat the RCR don't have narrow boats here, they have an inflatable, no use. I would get full RCR cover if ever buying a heap, but best to buy something better 

Just now, LadyG said:

When I was stuck on a canal with no passing boats , I had to get a tow by a narrowboat the RCR don't have narrow boats here, they have an inflatable, no use. I would get full RCR cover if ever buying a heap, but best to buy something better 

A heap is a bit savage on the poor boat. I paid for a full survey and took every correct step. Just obvious the owner knew it was the head gasket and didn’t think to be honest at all or get it repaired which is sad. I have got in touch and I will be sending them an invoice for the bill, however I can’t wait around here forever. I am miles from home and need to get my house back! 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

If we are going to discuss Tony Dunkley, I can confirm his knowledge of the Trent is excellent, but he has an attitude problem and considers his solution to be the only solution, having told me what I should do, he went in to tirade mode, aggressive and nasty, I complained to forum providers and to the police. I closed my TB account He was also wrong in his prognosis, though not having seen my boat he decided the professional advice was incorrect 

Yes,I recall the thread. As far as I can remember you got excellent advice in the initial stages. One person advised you to remove the boat from the lock, and not spend the night in it. Tony Dunkley, then offered to talk you through the procedure on the phone.

Lots of speculation and solutions then commenced to try and help you. To be fair, I think you were only after a suggestion of a yard that could help or a tow. 

It is the nature of Internet forums that discussion will occur. And I think it was discussion, and physical help, from members of this forum that got you a tow to a yard. 

I think it was, however, a member of the other forum that suggested where the fault may have occurred, and indeed confirmed by someone else who had been in contact with the previous owner of your boat.

After you received Tony's advice, as I recall, you ungraciously decided instead of merely thanking him, and moving on, put him on 'block', and later deleted your account. 

Obviously if some other things beyond the forum, or in private messages, occurred that made you feel police involvement was required, I can't comment. 

The discussion continued (as they tend to on discussion forums) long after you left. 

Information is offered freely on these forums. It is of course down to the recipient to determine what to do with it.

The initial piece of advice you received, may well have saved your life.

https://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/8013/barrowford-lock-bit-sos

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Bbirdman22 said:

A heap is a bit savage on the poor boat. I paid for a full survey and took every correct step. Just obvious the owner knew it was the head gasket and didn’t think to be honest at all or get it repaired which is sad. I have got in touch and I will be sending them an invoice for the bill, however I can’t wait around here forever. I am miles from home and need to get my house back! 

In a private sale (even buying thru' a broker is a private sale) the seller is not required to divulge anything about the boat and has absolutely no legal responsibility for it after purchase.

You have no hope of recovering any money from the seller post purchase.

Caveat Emptor reigns supreme in the boating world.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Bbirdman22 said:

Sorry, I was not suggesting your boat is a heap, just a generalisation, apologies. But anyway, hope it all works out. As you say, you did all the right things and quite possibly the owner knew the problem. 

If you bought from a private individual rather than a boat business, your legal position is less positive, even if you suspect fraud.

My understanding, (limited knowledge), is that if a gasket is faulty, there may be symptoms, ie emulsion of oil and water in the engine. This can be hidden by removing the discoloured oil and replacing with pure green oil. DAMHIK.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Yes,I recall the thread. As far as I can remember you got excellent advice in the initial stages. One person advised you to remove the boat from the lock, and not spend the night in it. Tony Dunkley, then offered to talk you through the procedure on the phone.

Lots of speculation and solutions then commenced to try and help you. To be fair, I think you were only after a suggestion of a yard that could help or a tow. 

It is the nature of Internet forums that discussion will occur. And I think it was discussion, and physical help, from members of this forum that got you a tow to a yard. 

I think it was, however, a member of the other forum that suggested where the fault may have occurred, and indeed confirmed by someone else who had been in contact with the previous owner of your boat.

After you received Tony's advice, as I recall, you ungraciously decided instead of merely thanking him, and moving on, put him on 'block', and later deleted your account. 

Obviously if some other things beyond the forum, or in private messages, occurred that made you feel police involvement was required, I can't comment. 

The discussion continued (as they tend to on discussion forums) long after you left. 

Information is offered freely on these forums. It is of course down to the recipient to determine what to do with it.

The initial piece of advice you received, may well have saved your life.

https://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/8013/barrowford-lock-bit-sos

I had an incident in a lock, but my first action was to remove the boat, I then then got someone out to advise.

I think I then posted about it, for sure I took the boat out the lock immediately..

There was no possibility of fixing it in the canal, as it turned out.

I rejected TDs advice as I was never going to start draining locks. Even with a team of navvies and a welder on hand, t!hat was never going to work, he then got very nasty. I'm sorry but there is no excuse for that.

I had to block him after pm failed to stop him ranting on, but in the end I left the forum because it's not worth having to deal with someone like that, I'm asking for help not a hatchet in the head.

The forum gave me lots of info about these matters, the only thing I would do differently is that once  having the boat out, I would take the opportunity to black the ellum tube, and maybe have a re inforced 'collar'at the base. I am very pleased with the rudder and tiller re-design.

Obviously never got an apology from the vendor,  no cash refund. I think it cost about £1000.

Edited by LadyG

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I had an incident in a lock, but my first action was to remove the boat, I then then got someone out to advise.

I think I then posted about it, for sure I took the boat out the lock immediately..

There was no possibility of fixing it in the canal, as it turned out.

I rejected TDs advice as I was never going to start draining locks. Even with a team of navvies and a welder on hand, t!hat was never going to work, he then got very nasty. I'm sorry but there is no excuse for that.

I had to block him after pm failed to stop him ranting on, but in the end I left the forum because it's not worth having to deal with someone like that, I'm asking for help not a hatchet in the head.

The forum gave me lots of info about these matters, the only thing I would do differently is that once  having the boat out, I would take the opportunity to black the ellum tube, and maybe have a re inforced 'collar'at the base. I am very pleased with the rudder and tiller re-design.

Obviously never got an apology from the vendor,  no cash refund. I think it cost about £1000.

Your first post on the thread I linked to indicates your boat was still in the lock at the time you posted on the forum, and you didn't know how to get it out, and that you required assistance from a passer by.

It was then that TD offered to talk you through making the boat safe over night.

I am not surprised you rejected his further advice. It was not something you personally were likely to achieve on your own, though I am not sure TD was suggesting you did undertake it on your own. Indeed, I have rejected his advice in the past myself. That is not to say the advice was bad or wrong. I, Like you, chose a different option. I was, however, pleased to receive all suggestions, and probably thanked him for his advice at the time, instead of blocking him.

I am still surprised you had to get the police involved though.

• Greenie 1

It happens in lots of forums, used to be involved in a hobby where there was a major and sad bust up. It was like war especially at live events where words said in the forum later removed were taken to heart and would never have been said face to face. 🤣☹️10 years on and no change in that situation, they don’t talk nor learn or benefit from each other’s knowledge they just scowl and bad mouth each other’s approach 🤣 ☹️  You often get out what you put in. 

Anyway poor OP let’s not get diverted from  the issue, the OP is having the engineer out today, sounds like they are expecting the worst. What a sad situation. Hope all can be sorted. If anything can be done to help let us know