HELP!!!

Bbirdman22

Featured Posts

Hi, could anyone give me a tow from Colehurst Farm, 2DU, Coventry to Brinklow Marina. Approximately 1hr of cursing? My head gasket has gone, I’ve only just bought the boat from the Ashby Canal Centre. Absolutely gutted and in need of some advice/assistance. Thanks guys

Just now, Athy said:

Welcome to he forum.

Have you contacted the Ashby Canal Centre to discuss what they may do about it? Did the boat not come with any form of guarantee?

I'm not sure what "2DU" means.

That’s a postcode and no the boat didn’t come with any guarantees. Fairly standard for the age of the vessel. They have not been helpful which has been very disappointing 

Hi, that’s where I’m trying to get a tow to. He is a great guy and has helped me out with an engineer. I need to get towed as I’m in the middle of nowhere and

1 minute ago, PaulJ said:

Worth giving Brinklow Marina a ring if you havent already. Mark there is a top chap and may know someone..

need electricity, water etc. thanks Anthony

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

If you stick "Colehurst Farm Coventry" in Google maps, it gives the address as "Unnamed Road, 2DU, Coventry" so it's postcode as stated above ;) 

Royal Mail postcode finder gives "CV23 0PT" for Colehurst Farm.

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

If you stick "Colehurst Farm Coventry" in Google maps, it gives the address as "Unnamed Road, 2DU, Coventry" so it's postcode as stated above ;) 

Er, no, post codes are longer than that.

But that's not important right now.

Bbird, I suggest joing RCR (River ^ Canal Rescue) without delay. I THINK you can join over the phone, if you have a mobile phone with you, and get immediate cover. Bear with me, I'll have a look for their telephone number.

EDIT: 01785 785780

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:
2 minutes ago, Bbirdman22 said:

Hi, I have cover. They weren’t much help and quoted me a ridiculous price for the work and my cover didn’t stretch far enough for a tow unfortunately. 

Thank you though, appreciate it 

We have been members of RCR for some fifteen years. Their policy has always been, if you break down, we'll get you moving again. So that's what they should do. Did they give you a reason why they wouldn't?

Hi, I got it through my insurance company and didn’t realise how pathetic the cover was. They charge a call out fee unfortunately on my level of membership, now it is too late to up the membership as they know about the breakdown. The bill is estimated to be 1k +. I would rather have this engineer do it. Thank you, Anthony 

9 minutes ago, alias said:

Royal Mail postcode finder gives "CV23 0PT" for Colehurst Farm.

Granted, but that's not where i'd look to see where i was for the purposes of being found, just saying what Google Maps lists.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Er, no, post codes are longer than that.

I know that, you know that, the Google listing it seems does not. I'll admit i did not look into the address further so made an ass out of u and me when stating it was postcode thinking it was a partial, i'll go stand in the corner now ;) 

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

We have been members of RCR for some fifteen years. Their policy has always been, if you break down, we'll get you moving again. So that's what they should do.

Yes if you are already a member, but not if you are not. Otherwise nobody would bother paying the subscription until they broke down.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bbirdman22 said:

Hi, could anyone give me a tow from Colehurst Farm, 2DU, Coventry to Brinklow Marina. Approximately 1hr of cursing? My head gasket has gone, I’ve only just bought the boat from the Ashby Canal Centre. Absolutely gutted and in need of some advice/assistance. Thanks guys

On the Thunderboat forum (link below), is a very knowledgeable chap, named Tony Dunkley. It may be worth asking over there. I suspect he is not offering you a tow, but may be able to help with advice.

Good luck

https://thunderboat.boards.net/

49 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Granted, but that's not where i'd look to see where i was for the purposes of being found, just saying what Google Maps lists.

No criticism intended, just thought an accurate postcode might mean the OP gets help faster.

Edited by alias
  • Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Bbirdman22 said:

Hi, I got it through my insurance company and didn’t realise how pathetic the cover was. They charge a call out fee unfortunately on my level of membership, now it is too late to up the membership as they know about the breakdown. The bill is estimated to be 1k +. I would rather have this engineer do it. Thank you, Anthony 

Retainer according to my book gives a callout fee of £40, and recovery charged hourly. If that includes getting a boat to you, at £40 an hour could be pricey, especially as that's an old book. The cover is often given free by insurers and is worthless, really. 

When my gearbox went, they advised me to get home by myself if I could as the extra charges would be deducted from the contribution they made to the repair. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Retainer according to my book gives a callout fee of £40, and recovery charged hourly.

Breakdown Service:- A suitably qualified mechanic will attend your Breakdown and rectify the problem where possible, so that you can continue your voyage.

Recovery Service:- If the Vessel cannot be repaired at the scene of the Breakdown, we will tow the Vessel safely to a  Marina or safe haven (within a maximum of 2 hours cruising). *excludes towing on tidal estuaries and rivers.

• Breakdown and assistance charged at a flat rate of £50 per callout.
  • Recovery is charged at £50 per hour.
  • No Replacement Parts Cover.(can be purchased as an option £60)

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Breakdown Service:- A suitably qualified mechanic will attend your Breakdown and rectify the problem where possible, so that you can continue your voyage.

Recovery Service:- If the Vessel cannot be repaired at the scene of the Breakdown, we will tow the Vessel safely to a  Marina or safe haven (within a maximum of 2 hours cruising). *excludes towing on tidal estuaries and rivers.

• Breakdown and assistance charged at a flat rate of £50 per callout.
  • Recovery is charged at £50 per hour.
  • No Replacement Parts Cover.(can be purchased as an option £60)

That 2 hour limit includes them getting the towing boat to you as I was told by an RCR engineer who I called out when I was still a member. Since you wont know where they are getting the towing boat from (it probably wont be from the marina the OP wants to go to) the 'cover' is essentially worthless, unless someone can anecdotally tell us of being towed in by RCR?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I only know of one person who asked RCR for a tow (he had a NB) and was told that they only had a small RIB and it wouldn't safely tow a NB

Yes, my conversation with the engineer was after my oil warning light had come on and I asked about the towing policy. Unofficially he told me it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Fortunately the oil problem was just a faulty sensor.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I only know of one person who asked RCR for a tow (he had a NB) and was told that they only had a small RIB and it wouldn't safely tow a NB

I wonder if they’ve considered horses? You could easily harness one and employ a long line to the boat and get it to walk along the convenient path at the side of the canal. Amazed no-one has thought of it before ;)