WD40 Problem

David Mack

Featured Posts

I have just found an old rusty can of WD40. From the weight and the feeling of the contents sloshing around, it is almost full. The button on the top pushes down smoothly, but nothing comes out, same when I take the button off and push down on the little plastic tube below. So it seems the actual valve in the top of the can is stuck.

What do I use to free off the valve in a can of WD40?

Just rip the top off and decant into a hand spray bottle - I never buy WD40 in a spray can, always (well twice, it lasts for ages) buy it in 4 litre plastic containers and put in a spray bottle. Works out much cheaper as well.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

I have just found an old rusty can of WD40. From the weight and the feeling of the contents sloshing around, it is almost full. The button on the top pushes down smoothly, but nothing comes out, same when I take the button off and push down on the little plastic tube below. So it seems the actual valve in the top of the can is stuck.

What do I use to free off the valve in a can of WD40?

Spray it with wd40

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jake_crew said:

The foaming of the liquid as it squirts under pressure is part of the penetrative effect.  But using the decanted liquid is less messy.

But its not a very good penetrant anyway. We used it for inhibiting gas turbine engines