Blisworth tunnel path over the top.

RichLech

Featured Posts

Yes to both.  I have not been over for a while, but the route was quite clear and it runs along the line of the tunnel, near enough, so you can see the air shafts and  spoilheaps as you go. 

N

Probably worth noting that the lion's share of the route over Blisworth tunnel is not on a footpath, but instead on a road that almost follows the line of the tunnel.  \whilst not a particularly busy road, there is still enough traffic to make walking it not overly pleasant, particularly with children or dogs.

A far nicer walk (in my opinion) is over the top of Braunston tunnel, which, other than crossing one road, is nearly all footpath, (or at one part, shared with a farm track).  Whist you pass close to the three active tunnel ventilation shafts, only two of these sit above the tunnel bore. The middle (and deepest) one is actually connected to a side shaft from the tunnel, and it is easy to miss this when boating through the tunnel, leading many, I suspect, to think there are only two ventilation shafts

17 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Probably worth noting that the lion's share of the route over Blisworth tunnel is not on a footpath, but instead on a road that almost follows the line of the tunnel.  \whilst not a particularly busy road, there is still enough traffic to make walking it not overly pleasant, particularly with children or dogs.

A far nicer walk (in my opinion) is over the top of Braunston tunnel, which, other than crossing one road, is nearly all footpath, (or at one part, shared with a farm track).  Whist you pass close to the three active tunnel ventilation shafts, only two of these sit above the tunnel bore. The middle (and deepest) one is actually connected to a side shaft from the tunnel, and it is easy to miss this when boating through the tunnel, leading many, I suspect, to think there are only two ventilation shafts

think you will find it is not like that any more. Housing estate being built on top of the tunnel. Think Catherine Doddington put a post about it on here sometime ago

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Alan, is the offset ventilation shaft a result of the Braunston tunnel having been built with the kink in it?

34 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Alan, is the offset ventilation shaft a result of the Braunston tunnel having been built with the kink in it?

I'm no expert, but I don't think so.

My theory, (not backed by any expert knowledge), is that  it is where the tunnel is further underground than for the others, and hence would have the greatest weight of masonry pressing down on the tunnel arch. maybe to the point it could be hazardous.

There is a similar, (and rather more obvious), shaft built to the side of the (straight) Blisworth tunnel, and my assumption (again nothing more) is that it could be that way for similar reasons.

Can anybody either confirm, or instead offer a different reason.

• Greenie 1