Aggressive and possibly violent boaters heading towards Foxton

Proper Charlie

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I  hadn't heard of it, so I looked it up. It is apparently a corruption of "docs", an abbreviation of documents.

But, as the verb is "dox", why should its noun have two xxs? After all, from fox we get foxing, and from box we get boxing - not foxxing or boxxing.

The internet, that ever-reliable source of information, offers both "doxing" and "doxxing". But I cannot think of any established word in English which sports a double x.

There was a very good soul singer called Inez Foxx, but as that's a) a proper noun ad b) American, we may disregard itt.

You can't judge internet terms and slang from an English teacher's point of view, it doesn't follow the rules of etymology.

It's usually derived from chatrooms or forums where speed of getting the message across is more important than accuracy, hence why some terms are basically typing errors. No point worrying why a 13yr old kid on 4CHAN has used two X's and not one, English more than likely is not even their first language.

If only you were an 1337 H4X0R like the rest of us :D 

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I for one don't care if it's deleted or not.

Unusual to see a Springer on a plate that is obviously fairly modern at a guess about 2000, when did Springers cease to be?

The reg plate may represent a boat that spent a long time on the Thames or other EA waters that has recently come to CaRT.

If it is the boat that harangued the OPand it is as common an occurrence as others have implied, then he won't know which of his combatants the OP is.

If it is the boat that another poster 'passed too close to', then with outward opening windows I can understand his worries. such windows on a boat are stupid.

7 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

The reg plate may represent a boat that spent a long time on the Thames or other EA waters that has recently come to CaRT.

If it is the boat that harangued the OPand it is as common an occurrence as others have implied, then he won't know which of his combatants the OP is.

If it is the boat that another poster 'passed too close to', then with outward opening windows I can understand his worries. such windows on a boat are stupid.

“Too close” was about a foot and all the windows were closed. The chap is just a pissed up arsehole! 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

What is this?

Google is your friend (although for thosse of a pedantic nature, whilst I asked the question in Google the answer was provided by 'Bing' (as often happens)

h4x0r A person who has exceptional skill at any particular online multiplayer game, typically first-person shooters. Originates from the Half-life mod, Counter-Strike.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I can see hacker in there

but elite and 1337?

leetspeak, or elitespeak was an old 80’s thing, sub numbers for letters. So “leet” becomes “1337”, “hacker” becomes “h4x0r”, “docs” becomes “d0x”

for @Athy doxxing was dumping documents/info gleaned from hacking into servers onto somewhere accessible by other hackers such as a Usenet server or “pub” (a hidden FTP server on some unsuspecting company’s server with lax security), nowadays its more commonly used to mean dumping someones personal info into the public domain. As an example, i remember someone back in the early 90’s doxxing a prominent London-based talent agency’s client list, it held the phone numbers of lots of famous folk and their agents, very embarrassing for them.