Aggressive and possibly violent boaters heading towards Foxton

Proper Charlie

Featured Posts

Reading back I note that stroudwater1 made the same point as me about using a PM.

I'll dip out now as on the  OP's substantive issue I no knowledge and don't want clutter his post with this side issue.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Your point is well made.

That would have been an alternative course of action - though of course we don't know if he did that too - and, private messages being private, it's not our business.

Can I suggest that you delete this post. I don’t think members want to be vigilantes and hate to think how the people who own that boat feel if it is implied that they are responsible and someone has got it wrong

The whole post is in my opinion a dreadful mistake and should be erased from memory.

Where is it going to lead if we all start accusing each other because we had a few bad words on the cut.

CRT or Police are there if necessary. We should not be encouraging Canal World Vigilantes. We are not the school playground

Athy no more jokes please just take the whole post down and we can return to acting like responsible adults.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

4 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Can I suggest that you delete this post. I don’t think members want to be vigilantes and hate to think how the people who own that boat feel if it is implied that they are responsible and someone has got it wrong

The whole post is in my opinion a dreadful mistake and should be erased from memory.

Where is it going to lead if we all start accusing each other because we had a few bad words on the cut.

CRT or Police are there if necessary. We should not be encouraging Canal World Vigilantes. We are not the school playground

Athy no more jokes please just take the whole post down and we can return to acting like responsible adults.

Given I’m fairly sure it’s the same boat I had an encounter with I see no issue in giving others warning. The same sort of thing has happened a few times over the years….we aren’t talking flaming torches…just a heads up. 

• Greenie 2

59 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

that's pretty scary, stay safe OP.

Yes, agreed. I think OP has sufficient evidence (excl anything on this thread) for a police report of threatening behaviour. Maybe no direct police action on this occasion: will contribute to a profile if there are other incidents.

7 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I agree with Alan, if I was the owner of that boat and it wasn’t anything to do with this topic it could be potentially upsetting and mess up enjoyable boating  for years. 

This should have been a PM from Chris to Propercharlie saying is this the boat, here’s the number if you want to report it. 

A bit like the posting about a stolen boat where a chap got challenged and it was nothing to do with him or I seam to remember a posting similar about a camouflage boat . I think it should be removed.

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A bit like the posting about a stolen boat where a chap got challenged and it was nothing to do with him

that's not the one where the "challenge" was done by a new member who coincidentally spotted the completely innocent and definitely-not-to-be-disturbed boat owner and checked all his paperwork for him on the same day he joined the forum was it :D 

57 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Yes, agreed. I think OP has sufficient evidence (excl anything on this thread) for a police report of threatening behaviour. Maybe no direct police action on this occasion: will contribute to a profile if there are other incidents.

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news (again) but that unfortunately wont be what happens. Any report to the Police will almost certainly be immediately filed NFA (No Further Action) and since no Police Officer is going to visit the boat in question, they wont know who the person on board is so will have no 'identification profile' to work with. It might well not be what people want to hear, but that will be the reality. Had a disturbance taken place with independent witnesses and some corroborating evidence there would be a possibility of further action, without that all we have in reality is one person's word against another, which isn't going to cross any thresholds.

Whilst I have every sympathy with the OP and how he has been affected by the incident, the practical advice is to forget about it, the idiot on the boat concerned almost certainly has done. People such as that make threats that they rarely have the gumption to carry out, those who are going to do something, aren't going to warn you beforehand. I think the OP's comment about the boater being 'all mouth and trousers' probably sums it up.

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A bit like the posting about a stolen boat where a chap got challenged and it was nothing to do with him or I seam to remember a posting similar about a camouflage boat . I think it should be removed.

I think where this differs is that no one is suggesting challenging anyone on the boat concerned. If the boater concerned isn't on this forum they will be none the wiser of the discussion here, and if they are they can come on and say "It wasn't me".

On 26/08/2022 at 18:15, Proper Charlie said:

My wife heard the bloke holding the rope tell his mate that we were dickheads and were going way too fast. My wife doesn’t take being insulted well and gave him a piece of her mind, perhaps foolishly but there you go. 

The thing is your wife wasn't being directly insulted. She overheard the bloke say something to his mate. It wasn't intended for her. She could have let it go but instead she made a decision to escalate the situation. So I disagree with the another poster who that said this was somehow justifiable [because she's a woman?]

Yes your wife was foolish and she put you both in danger. I was put in a similar situation once by a woman and when it came to things getting violent it wasn't her who had to deal with it. Perhaps if was she wouldn't have reacted so recklessly and kept calm. 

Edited by blackrose

51 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The thing is your wife wasn't being directly insulted. She overheard the bloke say something to his mate. It wasn't intended for her. She could have let it go but instead she made a decision to escalate the situation. So I disagree with the another poster who that said this was somehow justifiable [because she's a woman?]

Yes your wife was foolish and she put you both in danger. I was put in a similar situation once by a woman and when it came to things getting violent it wasn't her who had to deal with it. Perhaps if was she wouldn't have reacted so recklessly and kept calm. 

That might be a common sense approach but it's also intimating that the "little" woman should just put up with what she heard. Would the same,  let it go, message apply to males? Probably sensible whatever the gender, but men are less likely to get pulled up for reacting to it. 

I gave a couple of scrotes an earfull for being near my boat,and the woman from another boat a couple down says "I called the police,Ive never heard such foul language as those teens were using..........didnt tell her it was me.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ianws said:

That might be a common sense approach but it's also intimating that the "little" woman should just put up with what she heard. Would the same,  let it go, message apply to males? Probably sensible whatever the gender, but men are less likely to get pulled up for reacting to it. 

My female OH once had a earnest discussion with the owner of a Glasgow theatre we were working in…he allegedly had some “form”…anyhow he said he’d never been spoken to like that before and did she want to “take it outside” she said “fine by me”….he scuttled off and we didn’t see him again for the rest of the gig…as it was in front of his “staff” I think he lost face being called out by a mere woman…especially a 5ft 3 slightly built one….they however couldn’t do enough for her for the rest of the show! 

Edited by frangar

12 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Can I suggest that you delete this post.

No more jokes please.

Of course you may, but there is no reason to do so, as I explained earlier.

Which part of this post was a joke? I was quite serious. We treat p.m.s as private, and they bare not monitored, but will take action (and have done so in the past) if an unacceptable p.m. is reported to us by a member.

Edited by Athy

I for one would be happy to see this deleted. I only have five of those digits in the registration number of my 30ish foot boat. Even I did a double take when I saw it.

Now where do I direct this baying mob armed with torches and pitch forks.

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

please remove this now that the OP has seen and responded. 

This has already been discussed. Perhaps you have not read through the topic.

If you haven't, then it would be useful for you to do so. If you have, which part of "no" do you not understand?

33 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

I for one would be happy to see this deleted. I only have five of those digits in the registration number of my 30ish foot boat. Even I did a double take when I saw it.

To the door marked "Moderators", while you go and buy a lottery ticket. If you can get five numbers again, you could be quids in.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

This has already been discussed. Perhaps you have not read through the topic.

If you haven't, then it would be useful for you to do so. If you have, which part of "no" do you not understand?

To the door marked "Moderators", while you go and buy a lottery ticket. If you can get five numbers again, you could be quids in.

I have gone through posts, have not seen anywhere @Chris John saying 'no'. Happy to be proven wrong though?

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

I have gone through posts, have not seen anywhere @Chris John saying 'no'. Happy to be proven wrong though?

No

Makes me chuckle a bit this. Forum members seem happy for others to be called a tosser (yes I did report it) but when someone posts something asking a question to someone that had a aggressive confrontation and that may help someone else avoid such a confrontation members are up in arms. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Chris John said:

No

Makes me chuckle a bit this. Forum members seem happy for others to be called a tosser (yes I did report it) but when someone posts something asking a question to someone that had a aggressive confrontation and that may help someone else avoid such a confrontation members are up in arms. 

Nah, not really, it's just no-one's started a thread about toilets or bow thrusters for a bit and we're bored with threads on real boaty stuff. More fun having an argument, and we don't have to go the political ghetto for it. Plus we can have a go at the mods, which is always fun.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chris John said:

No

:)

I can tell my reasoning... the issue is that the boat owner is quite possibly is not a member and has no way of telling his/her side of story. You have no idea in which forum what they are talking about you or your boat by taking picture(and everybody believing them). 

I am in no way saying OP is lying, in fact I am pretty convinced that they are shaken from this encounter and may be should file a police report. 

There is this thing called doxxing in which people post offline pictures of houses/addresses (against whom they have some missgivings), most of the time nothing happens but sometimes it does lead to vigilantism. The word is more appropriate in anonymous forums, against members.

Now its upto you whether you are convinced by my reason or not.

8 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

There is this thing called doxxing

I  hadn't heard of it, so I looked it up. It is apparently a corruption of "docs", an abbreviation of documents.

But, as the verb is "dox", why should its noun have two xxs? After all, from fox we get foxing, and from box we get boxing - not foxxing or boxxing.

The internet, that ever-reliable source of information, offers both "doxing" and "doxxing". But I cannot think of any established word in English which sports a double x.

There was a very good soul singer called Inez Foxx, but as that's a) a proper noun ad b) American, we may disregard itt.

1 hour ago, Eeyore said:

I for one don't care if it's deleted or not.

Unusual to see a Springer on a plate that is obviously fairly modern at a guess about 2000, when did Springers cease to be?