Aggressive and possibly violent boaters heading towards Foxton

Proper Charlie

Featured Posts

We returned home after a fantastic six week cruise early afternoon today. A couple of hundred yards short of our home marina at North Kilworth we experienced the most aggressive behaviour we’ve encountered in 30 years of boating, the last 12 as owners who are regularly on the cut.

Heading north, just past the Welford turn, we passed a small 35 ft ish grey narrowboat which was being held on a centre rope. We weren’t quite on tickover (our boat barely moves on tickover) but were making absolutely zero wash. My wife heard the bloke holding the rope tell his mate that we were dickheads and were going way too fast. My wife doesn’t take being insulted well and gave him a piece of her mind, perhaps foolishly but there you go. 

Anyway, he picked up his pole and came marching down the towpath saying he wanted a word with us (not sure if he meant me or my wife). I accelerated and managed to get through the bridge hole just before he got there. He stopped and shouted that they’d be following us and would see us later. We continued at pace the last hundred yards to our marina, thankfully they didn’t appear and either didn’t bother chasing because they’re all mouth and trousers, or maybe we got home just in time and they’re currently approaching Foxton looking for us. They may also have been about to tie up, not set off, so may still be there.

It was a very frightening experience, so if you see them please be careful. We didn’t catch the boat’s name so can’t notify the police but it was short and grey. Both men in their 40s (we’re in our 60s). The one who chased us was about 5’ 6”, dark hair and either unshaven or with a moustache.

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Is frangar out on his annual cruise?

Im back from that.....and only yelled at a few people.....thanks for your concern though.....Funnily enough one of them was a chap on the leics summit that was clutching a blue tin at an early hour also with a grey boat who objected to me passing close to his boat...In fact I'd met a boat coming the other way level with his poorly moored boat....as he could hardly stand up let alone chase me I figured I was fairly safe....That was back in July at Crick....

45 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

We returned home after a fantastic six week cruise early afternoon today. A couple of hundred yards short of our home marina at North Kilworth we experienced the most aggressive behaviour we’ve encountered in 30 years of boating, the last 12 as owners who are regularly on the cut.

Heading north, just past the Welford turn, we passed a small 35 ft ish grey narrowboat which was being held on a centre rope. We weren’t quite on tickover (our boat barely moves on tickover) but were making absolutely zero wash. My wife heard the bloke holding the rope tell his mate that we were dickheads and were going way too fast. My wife doesn’t take being insulted well and gave him a piece of her mind, perhaps foolishly but there you go. 

Anyway, he picked up his pole and came marching down the towpath saying he wanted a word with us (not sure if he meant me or my wife). I accelerated and managed to get through the bridge hole just before he got there. He stopped and shouted that they’d be following us and would see us later. We continued at pace the last hundred yards to our marina, thankfully they didn’t appear and either didn’t bother chasing because they’re all mouth and trousers, or maybe we got home just in time and they’re currently approaching Foxton looking for us. They may also have been about to tie up, not set off, so may still be there.

It was a very frightening experience, so if you see them please be careful. We didn’t catch the boat’s name so can’t notify the police but it was short and grey. Both men in their 40s (we’re in our 60s). The one who chased us was about 5’ 6”, dark hair and either unshaven or with a moustache.

We are currently at Kilby Bridge so will be heading that way over the next few days so will look out for your obnoxious individual. I have tended to find in life that there are the 'talkers' and the 'doers' the talkers all tend to be, as you say, all mouth and trousers. They like to think a threat will intimidate someone and the sad little individual you have met obviously didn't like a mere woman (justifiably) giving him a piece of her mind so has threatened in response. I'd forget all about it if I were you, he probably has, don't let someone like this spoil a good cruise. On the other hand if I come across them I may well have a problem with my throttle preventing me from slowing down (sadly) since such people need 'poking'.

As regards the 'doers' they don't threaten at all, if they are going to do anything they will attack unexpectedly, far more dangerous that the 'all mouth and trousers' brigade.;)

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Is this the boat?.

Hardly the done think old chap, if you don't even know if this is the boat that has Agressive and violent crew on board

It does look to have a lot of windows for its length (quoted by the OP as ~35 feet)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hardly the done think old chap, if you don't even know if this is the boat that has Agressive and violent crew on board

It does look to have a lot of windows for its length (quoted by the OP as ~35 feet)

Saw the boat yesterday and they met the description and the boat is about 35ft 
I’m sure the brilliant mods will be along if they think it’s out of order. 

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree. With no evidence picking random boats is totally out of order.

It does look right, but I’d be nervous of making an official complaint without knowing for certain. At the time, I was too concerned with accelerating away from them to get a clear look. Just make sure you don’t cross these guys. If they can threaten people like us with violence, they’re probably capable of other acts too.

4 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

It does look right, but I’d be nervous of making an official complaint without knowing for certain. At the time, I was too concerned with accelerating away from them to get a clear look. Just make sure you don’t cross these guys. If they can threaten people like us with violence, they’re probably capable of other acts too.

They went past me yesterday and I said hello. They scowled back! Oh well if it’s not the boat it’ll teach whoever’s boat it is to moor next to a no mooring sign 

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mr. John did not make a statement or an accusation - he simply asked a question.

(It looks longer than 35 feet to me too, although of course boats can look different in "real life").

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I disagree, but you are the only Mod we have.

If I posted your photo and asked a question "is this the guy you saw drowning a puppy" (or whatever crime you want) without any evidence that it was you, simply asking the question is a suggestion of guilt - it would be an invasion of your privacy.

Mr Athy is drowning puppies you say? I always thought he was so nice.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I posted your photo and asked a question "is this the guy you saw drowning a puppy" (or whatever crime you want) without any evidence that it was you, simply asking the question is a suggestion of guilt - it would be an invasion of your privacy.

I agree with Alan, if I was the owner of that boat and it wasn’t anything to do with this topic it could be potentially upsetting and mess up enjoyable boating  for years. 

This should have been a PM from Chris to Propercharlie saying is this the boat, here’s the number if you want to report it. 

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mr Athy is drowning puppies you say? I always thought he was so nice.

So did the puppies...

🤣

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Firstly, no I'm not, other active moddies are available.

Secondly, no, it's an open question which would allow the answer "No, it's not".

Storm, teacup.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

So did the puppies...

🤣

Firstly, no I'm not, other active moddies are available.

Secondly, no, it's an open question which would allow the answer "No, it's not".

Storm, teacup.

I do think that in this case you have uncharacteristically made a bad call.

Posting the photo publicly creates an association between the photographed boat and the declared act. 

There is no reason why the photograph could not of been sent privately to the OP. The OP is the only one who can answer the question not members of this forum. 

Edit to add

Before anyone asks, no i don't think i could do a better job

Edited by reg
Add further info

12 minutes ago, reg said:

I do think that in this case you have uncharacteristically made a bad call.

Edit to add

Before anyone asks, no i don't think i could do a better job

Thanks. 

I can't see any bad call here. If someone had said "That's the guilty boat" then you might have a case. But they didn't. They simply sought enlightenment, which is not a bad thing to do.

4 hours ago, Chris John said:

Is this the boat?. Moored opposite Debdale Wharf right next to a no mooring sign. I think I’d be inclined to fill out an incident report form with CRT. Reg No 504450 

BFEE9546-E757-4B69-8D7C-F2DF53835746.jpeg

378B402F-D894-4ABB-A5B9-8E368CF08BF2.jpeg

That looks very much like the same boat which I had a run in with a crick when apparently I went too close to them passing an oncoming boat….deffo one to keep a look out for in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks. 

I can't see any bad call here. If someone had said "That's the guilty boat" then you might have a case. But they didn't. They simply sought enlightenment, which is not a bad thing to do.

Sorry i was editing as you were replying.

My futher edit addresses this.

The only person who could  answer the question is the OP. There is zero reason why a potential  association should of been implied on an open forum when the answer could be resolved via a private exchange.

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

I’ve shown the pic to my wife. She thinks it’s the boat but can’t be 100% so we won’t report it. We would both recognise the bloke who threatened us though. The boat is certainly in the right location, having (allegedly) moved pretty slowly from Crick via North Kilworth to Debdale in the last few weeks. As Frangar says, be careful if you come across them.

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, reg said:

S

The only person who could  answer the question is the OP. There is zero reason why a potential  association should of been implied on an open forum when the answer could be resolved via a private exchange.

Your point is well made.

That would have been an alternative course of action - though of course we don't know if he did that too - and, private messages being private, it's not our business.