scumbling base coat ??

Featured Posts

im in the middle of repainting my boat and fancy scumbling a frame around the inset panel on the outside of the boat..  anyone know what paint to use as the base colour on steel?  also any tips would be great...  thanks

We have used Craftmaster cream high build undercoat. However it turned out a tiny bit lighter than hoped so we added a bit pigment to darken it just a little, could find details tomoro if required. We did recessed panel surrounds just like you.

Just a thought, too…..external scumble requires several coats of varnish once dry and it doesn’t hurt to add additional coats every 12 to 18 months or so. Also, touch in any scratches promptly, especially around the gunwale area where feet move. I’ve seen many cases of flaking and peeling varnish where this has been allowed to happen!

12 hours ago, crosser said:

im in the middle of repainting my boat and fancy scumbling a frame around the inset panel on the outside of the boat..  anyone know what paint to use as the base colour on steel?  also any tips would be great...  thanks

I'm no expert, but I have done some scumbling. You have to decide which way you plan to have the grain running. Your basecoat brushing must follow the line of that choice. If you scumble across brush strokes, you can end up with a bamboo effect - I've found. 

Edited by Higgs

2 hours ago, dave moore said:

Just a thought, too…..external scumble requires several coats of varnish once dry and it doesn’t hurt to add additional coats every 12 to 18 months or so. Also, touch in any scratches promptly, especially around the gunwale area where feet move. I’ve seen many cases of flaking and peeling varnish where this has been allowed to happen!

I once commented to Rocket Ron in Braunston about his scumbling and he said a coat of varnish every 6 months. his boat was always well turned out

Whilst the graining experts are here, we did ours with several coats of Craftmaster clear varnish and now, after two years, are getting what looks like a lot of fungal growth. I assume the slight texture from the graining makes good conditions for the fungus to grow but don'r really understand it. Has anybody else had this???

I saw this in the back cabin of an Allen boat a few weeks ago. In that case, flatting, re-undercoating and graining is the only solution. I suspect damp is responsible, I know that the boat was left for long periods closed up. I would have thought that good, oil based varnish would have kept moisture out, unless it was already present in the undercoat, somehow.

Sorry I can’t offer anything more helpful.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Whilst the graining experts are here, we did ours with several coats of Craftmaster clear varnish and now, after two years, are getting what looks like a lot of fungal growth. I assume the slight texture from the graining makes good conditions for the fungus to grow but don'r really understand it. Has anybody else had this???

It’s because you’ve been too long in the grim, damp Northern valleys where the sun don’t shine. 
Have you tried scrubbing with a bit of watered down bleach ?  

..and a trip to a drier climate? 😃

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I once commented to Rocket Ron in Braunston about his scumbling and he said a coat of varnish every 6 months. his boat was always well turned out

I suspect that’s good advice, even an annual coat makes a difference but too late I realise it’s too infrequent.
It’s very easy to do, too.☹️