Engine oil sump pump for BMC

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Any one know of a supplier for a sump oil drain pump for a 1500 BMC? Not a Pela type but a proper bolt on the engine jobbie.

Am I correct in that the sump plug thread is 1/2" BSP? Or smaller?  Its been a while since I could crawl under one.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Any one know of a supplier for a sump oil drain pump for a 1500 BMC? Not a Pela type but a proper bolt on the engine jobbie.

Am I correct in the the sump plug thread is 1/2" BSP?

Cannot help with the thread form as the old BL manual I have for the 1500 Diesel engine simply says "Item 84 = Drain Plug For Sump" with no further details.

Screenshot (1517).png

Patay is one brand several others..  Brass tube plastic handle and outlet.  Sold by force4 Chandler and many others. About 20 squid.

Also on e-bay a solid brass one. But that is over £50.

I googled 'brass oil sump pump"

None of then seem to come with any brackets, so you will have to make those.

Can't  help much with the sump thread, but my ancient memory says the one on my petrol B series was not BSP.  Bet Calcutt will know.  Probably even sell you a spare you can braze a piece of pipe into as the suction inlet.

N

4 hours ago, Ken X said:

In case it is of any use, our 1962 Morris Minor 1098 sump plug thread is recorded as 1/2" 20 TPI UNF.

Thanks, will check.

Would prefer the type with threaded inlet, then A ball shut off could be fitted.

Then I will need the armoured hose to the sump.

10 hours ago, Ken X said:

Engines plus do one with a threaded end and a separate compatible shut off valve.

https://www.enginesplus.co.uk/product/sump-pump/

You could then have a flexible hydraulic hose made up with suitable end fittings. Custom mount would be needed for the pump. May be an option?

However that is almost £67 by the time VAT is added.

It looks remarkably like the offering I posted from Calcutt, except that it is over 50% more expensive.

• 1 year later...