Anode in water tank !!!

Featured Posts

Unbelievable, or is it me, have I missed some new brainwave idea with anodes.

Having recently taken on a new to me, (older boat). When i ran the taps in the galley or bathroom, i got a whiff of pongy eggs coming out of the taps/ sink.

I put it down to water that has sat unused in the cold water holding tank, going stale/contaminated etc.

I added a small amount of milton and flushed it through the system.

Only then did i realise ' what's this bl****y anode doing in the cold water tank ?

It's obviously been there a long time as its virtually wasted away and used up,

I've  never come across this practice before, have i missed something?

Obviously this hasn't been used for drinking water or even cooking etc,

Personally I wouldn't want to wash in it either and smell of bad eggs all day.

Can anyone give me a good reason to put a new anode back in its place.

IMG_20220823_172558.jpg

IMG_20220823_171728.jpg

Magnesium Hydroxide is Milk of Magnesia so your indigestion should be reduced and hydrogen gas could power your boat if you had a fuel cell. Visionary 🙂

Probably better out than in though.  It should not be in there and is potentially hazardous to your health.

Edited by GRLMK38

Thank you both for your responses, reading the document above, magnesium is an important part of the human nutritional  diet.

Sadly the potency of the water with this amount of magnesium in it, is almost certainly bad for your health.

Tomorrow, empty the water tank, allow to dry, repaint, flush through again and refill  with fresh unadulterated  tap water.

Thanks again.

I may have misunderstood, but unless the anode was electrically bonded (welded or bolted) to the steel of the water tank it wouldn't have been doing anything in terms of providing sacrificial protection to the steel anyway. You can't just chuck an anode in and hope it works. Or was it bolted on? I can't really tell from the pictures. 

Edited by blackrose

Looking at the witness mark at the top of the first picture, I wonder if it was attached at some time In  the past, and the fastening has just rusted through.

Either that, or someone lobed it in there for a joke.  They probably knew the buyer was a member of this forum, so stuck it in there to see what comment they would make about it.