ZINGA For water tank. Anyone used it?

reg

Featured Posts

I need to do my rusty water tank.

I have some Zinga left over from when I did my hull.

Zinga is certified as potable.

I have the correct Tercoo tool to prepare the surface.

So it would seem that I have everything I need to galvanize my water tank BUT I have failed, apart from a YBW 2008 short reference, to come up with anyone who has done this.

Basically am I missing something?

Has anyone done this on a narrow boat water tank?

I think I have identified the reason why.

Until it has cured it is hazardous  this is reasonably easily be handled in the open with protective clothing and good quality masks and goggles. But inside an enclosed area it's possible that you could be working in a toxic and potentially inflammable environment.

Not an attractive proposition so I think I will revert to plan B when I come up with plan B.

A couple of links you might find interesting-
https://www.zinga.ie/potable-water-tank-eps-sedajuliaca-peru/

https://www.zinga.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/BRAZIL-Sao-Paulo-Potable-Water-Tank.pdf

looks like one tank was ‘just’ zinga the other being epoxy over coated.

I might use zinga next time I do my tank - depends on how well the epoxy is doing which was applied 5 years ago.

and a marine water tank a bit bigger than yours

https://www.zinga.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/UK-Adela-Yacht-Water-Tanks.pdf

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

A couple of links you might find interesting-

So it appears that there is no problem with actual using Zinga from a potable perspective, in fact it looks like an ideal solution. The problem is down to one of health and safety within a very confined area. I think it would require as a minimum pressurised air masks and Google's and also quality all over clothing.

Personally I think I will skip it but I do think it could be a good proposition in general. Almost scope for a little cottage industry, but not for me.

When you say you failed, did you actually try using the Zinga? Have you prepped the tank with the Terccoo tool?

Sorry, I'm not sure if it's me, but I'm struggling to understand from your posts what you've actually done. 

I primed my tank with conventional solvent-based two pack epoxy before going over it with a couple of coats of solvent free water portable epoxy. Using the solvent based epoxy wasn't pleasant in the confined space and at one point I stuck my head up out of the hatch for some fresh air as I was feeling pretty high from the fumes, but it was do-able. Just wondering how bad the Zinga would be? 

Edited by blackrose

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

When you say you failed, did you actually try using the Zinga? Have you prepped the tank with the Terccoo tool?

I don't recall saying i have failed?. I have not started yet i was just pondering on why no one seems to of done their tank with Zinga.

I still think its a good idea but would require some caution as regards health and safety, probably more than for the expoxy option.

Edited by reg

7 hours ago, reg said:

I don't recall saying i have failed?. I have not started yet i was just pondering on why no one seems to of done their tank with Zinga.

I still think its a good idea but would require some caution as regards health and safety, probably more than for the expoxy option.

Middle of your 5th line in the OP.

On 21/08/2022 at 08:15, reg said:

So it appears that there is no problem with actual using Zinga from a potable perspective, in fact it looks like an ideal solution. The problem is down to one of health and safety within a very confined area. I think it would require as a minimum pressurised air masks and Google's and also quality all over clothing.

Personally I think I will skip it but I do think it could be a good proposition in general. Almost scope for a little cottage industry, but not for me.

If you are worried about the concentration of heavy solvent fumes in a confined space, I would be worried about a flash fire or even an explosion.  Better to have lots of fresh air blown into the tank to flush out the solvent fumes to keep it down to a safe level, and maybe a proper painters mask to protect yourself.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, frahkn said:

Middle of your 5th line in the OP.

I think you read the first comma as a full stop. Easily done. 

"BUT I have failed, apart from a YBW 2008 short reference, to come up with anyone who has done this."

Probably could of done with a full stop before the word  BUT

Edited by reg