Why?

Midnight

Featured Posts

Why do C&RT organise 'Let's fish' sessions on visitor moorings in places where moorings are scarce when there's miles of alternative bank to use? Is this just another example of boating not a priority. 

Edited by Midnight

6 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Why do C&RT organise 'Let's fish' sessions on visitor moorings when there's miles of alternative bank to use? Is this just another example of boating not a priority. 

Where you to?

I passed a “Let’s Fish” the other day but can’t remember where 🤷‍♀️
No one  had turned up.

Neither fishermen or boaters so no stand off. 😂

Not me this time I'm in Stratford. A fellow boater just sent pics of a session in Trevor basin where there's not a lot of choice. Last year they (C&RT) where on the only visitor mooring in Wellingborough (EA water) loads of bank okay for fishing but too shallow to moor. 

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Not me this time I'm in Stratford. A fellow boater just sent pics of a session in Trevor basin where there's not a lot of choice. Last year they (C&RT) where on the only visitor mooring in Wellingborough (EA water) loads of bank okay for fishing but too shallow to moor. 

Trevor Basin?
Ffs. 
That’s just daft. 

30 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Why do C&RT organise 'Let's fish' sessions on visitor moorings in places where moorings are scarce when there's miles of alternative bank to use? Is this just another example of boating not a priority. 

Boating is not CRTs priority.

• Greenie 3
  • Unimpressed 1

8 minutes ago, Midnight said:

They did the same last year at Stafford, right on the visitor moorings by bridge 98 where everyone stops for Aldi. 

The organiser had a right strop on because people kept picking up the moorings regardless of their fishing rods and he kept having to move along. I suggested he moved the other side of the bridge because the towpath there is concrete and you can't moor there but he refused and said nobody would be able to see them.

We came back to the boat an hour later and he literally had about 5 yards of towpath left to use right by the bridge hole.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gatekrash said:

They did the same last year at Stafford, right on the visitor moorings by bridge 98 where everyone stops for Aldi. 

The organiser had a right strop on because people kept picking up the moorings regardless of their fishing rods and he kept having to move along. I suggested he moved the other side of the bridge because the towpath there is concrete and you can't moor there but he refused and said nobody would be able to see them.

We came back to the boat an hour later and he literally had about 5 yards of towpath left to use right by the bridge hole.

Shouldn't fish next to a bridge hole.

1 minute ago, gatekrash said:

That's the way to do it!

Don't forget C&RTS written instructions to baoters "to leave 5 metres between moored boats so fishermen can slot inbetween the boats"

Winter moorings

The needs of angling customers are incorporated into the terms and conditions of the issue of these permits. A five-metre gap must be kept between one boat and the next for the purposes of permitting angling from the towpath. We are exploring whether this ought to apply more generally between moored boats. Do take special care when fishing within close proximity of boats. It would not be acceptable to lean your equipment up against the boat hull, for example.

Fishing where you find moorings rings

Unless so signed to the contrary, anglers are permitted to fish where there are towpath mooring rings present, in a similar way to boaters having the right to moor where there are angling club permanent peg numbers. Mooring rings might be present underneath powerlines or within 25 metres of a lock wall approach. Clearly, fishing would not be permitted in these locations.

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Only some dumb fxxkwit could come up with these dates. Only two people fishing at the time we arrived 1-45 and they where the people who were showing how to murder fish to any passer by. Told them I would have to moor up or keep passing them till 5 o’clock. They saw sense and let me moor up 🤣🤣

image.jpg

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Why do C&RT organise 'Let's fish' sessions on visitor moorings in places where moorings are scarce when there's miles of alternative bank to use?

Because they are making life better by water?

:unsure:

(and bu99er those who are on the water!)

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Boating is not CRTs priority.

But why do some people here seem to think it should be? Or is it just coincidence that people on a boat forum think boats should be CRT's priority?

We do pay more in licence fees, but I'm sure CRT argue that we also utilise more of their waterways resources. 

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

What more can CRT do to get through the thick skulls of boaters, to make it clear they are not welcome on the canals?

Lots of "No Fishing" painted in white on the concrete capping beams etc not the usual C&RT blue signs , have appeared at Hazelford Lock recently . Not sure why as the fishists are always on the opposite bank or on little  boats. To be honest they are no nuisance to boaters at that location.

I have had fewer rude remarks from fishists recently. Just the one who loudly complained that we were driving on the right and he wondered what we would do if in a car on the M1. Sheffield accent. Dont know why he doesnt go fishing in Gods own county. But is Sheffield really in Yoikshire or was the country boundary line  a draughtsmans error.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

It is not a case of why or the wherefore, it is through a total lack of understanding of those at the top 

I dont think so. Boating is not the main agenda of those at the top, its maximum visits to the bit of England they get paid to maintain. I think they fully understand

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think so. Boating is not the main agenda of those at the top, its maximum visits to the bit of England they get paid to maintain. I think they fully understand

I think Mr Crawler is right. CRT have the bigger picture in mind and it is arrogant of boaters to consider themselves as deserving priority over anglers. CRT's position is to maintain mild but steady pressure on boaters to just go away, hence the tardiness in fixing stuff that affects boaters only (e.g. broken paddles), and the consideration that tends to be given nowadays to anglers, pedestrians, cyclists etc over boaters in general. The evidence is there to be seen by everyone. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think Mr Crawler is right. CRT have the bigger picture in mind and it is arrogant of boaters to consider themselves as deserving priority over anglers. CRT's position is to maintain mild but steady pressure on boaters to just go away, hence the tardiness in fixing stuff that affects boaters only (e.g. broken paddles), and the consideration that tends to be given nowadays to anglers, pedestrians, cyclists etc over boaters in general. The evidence is there to be seen by everyone. 

Basically, CRT run a recreation facility. The navigation is a very small part of it.

• Greenie 2