Holiday boaters using poles

Leemc

Featured Posts

Think hire companies need to tell those using their boats about using poles. Seen 3 people this week trying to manoeuvre a moving boat with a pole, one lad had pole centred near his stomach. Only going to be one loser in this situation.

The practical skill and work ethic of East Europeans could indeed be useful to an inexperienced hire-boating crew.

But seriously, yes, they should be shown how to use a long shaft - and, for that matter, a centre rope, of whose use and very existence many appear unaware.

Last time on the Llangollen I followed a hireboat south through the aquaduct and at every bridge thereafter they stopped dead while the bloke on the front manoeuvred the bows into the bridge hole with the pole. Mind you, he also stopped every time a boat came towards him and hit several moored ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I've related elsewhere, the hire which grounded opposite our moorings recently. Wife advised using their gangplank to put someone ashore to push them off (using their pole).

"No gangplank" - "Yes you have, it's on the roof there". 

"Well, they didn't tell us we had a gangplank!" said with disgust.

• Haha 1

I've seen a lot of this too, and I think it is induced by certain companies who are (with good intentions) putting the fear of god into their customers in respect of not hitting things.

All ours are firmly instructed not to even get the pole off the cabin top unless the boat is stationary.

Mind you, they are also told never to moor the boat up with the centre line, but most seem to have acquired the habit by observing other people and assuming they must know what they are doing......

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

On 19/08/2022 at 10:23, Athy said:

The practical skill and work ethic of East Europeans could indeed be useful to an inexperienced hire-boating crew.

But seriously, yes, they should be shown how to use a long shaft - and, for that matter, a centre rope, of whose use and very existence many appear unaware.

Centre line, as you're being picky about terminology!