Castle Gardens, Leicester

MrsM

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, alias said:

Unless the waste removal there is managed by others, perhaps the city council, and they can be persuaded to raise their game, I suspect that the rodent problem will be resolved by removing the bins. 

Replacing the bin with a hole in the bottom would be a start. 

31 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Replacing the bin with a hole in the bottom would be a start. 

And the open bin with the missing lid which I was moored right next to (pretty much opposite my sidehatch).

Currently moored at Castle Gardens, surprised to have found a mooring quite so easily, perhaps people have been put off by the rats:huh:.

Looking at the bin with the hole in it, was this exclusively the work of a rat? Whilst I kind of get the bottom half of the hole (even though it looks as though he had his own little chain saw), but the top half of the hole has been melted. Do I need to look out for a rat with a blow-lamp?

IMG_1722.JPG.76782a1ece3cb8a2e3c8887bff94abd5.JPG

38 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Currently moored at Castle Gardens, surprised to have found a mooring quite so easily, perhaps people have been put off by the rats:huh:.

Looking at the bin with the hole in it, was this exclusively the work of a rat? Whilst I kind of get the bottom half of the hole (even though it looks as though he had his own little chain saw), but the top half of the hole has been melted. Do I need to look out for a rat with a blow-lamp?

I wasn't very clear, apologies - I don't think the hole was started by a rat, but it does provide a convenient entry/exit point. Is the lidless bin still there to the right of it?

39 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Ratachewy. They  love to gnaw.

I have had experience with poor rubbish removal inside accommodations in Leicester, resolved by involving the Public Health Dept.

Perhaps Richard III was dumped there after all.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ratachewy. They  love to gnaw.

They have to gnaw to stay alive, their teeth continually grow and they need to wear them down, otherwise the teeth  grow round back into their mouth and eventually through the roof of their mouth and into their brain.  

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They have to gnaw to stay alive, their teeth continually grow and they need to wear them down, otherwise the teeth  grow round back into their mouth and eventually through the roof of their mouth and into their brain.  

Poor things - they really don't have much going for them. 

1 hour ago, MrsM said:

I wasn't very clear, apologies - I don't think the hole was started by a rat, but it does provide a convenient entry/exit point. Is the lidless bin still there to the right of it?

The bin I photographed is on it's own, there are other bins further along the pontoon but I haven't looked to see if they are lidless. The more I look at this hole (it is right outside of my bedroom porthole) the less I think a rat actually made it. They are creative little critters and if someone has made a hole in a wheelie bin I'm sure they'd then check out the contents (who could blame them). They also tend to be quite efficient little b*ggers and I don't see a rat gnawing a hole that shape, he/she'd just gnaw a hole big enough to get out of which would probably be round(ish). A long narrow hole such as this isn't very rat efficient. I can't give any explanation for the hole as I can't think why any person would cut such a hole, but the top of it was definitely melted. If I find the rat with the blowlamp I'll let you know;)

23 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

They also tend to be quite efficient little b*ggers and I don't see a rat gnawing a hole that shape, he/she'd just gnaw a hole big enough to get out of which would probably be round(ish). A long narrow hole such as this isn't very rat efficient. I can't give any explanation for the hole as I can't think why any person would cut such a hole, but the top of it was definitely melted. If I find the rat with the blowlamp I'll let you know;)

Are there any squirrels nearby by any chance?

Destructive little beasts that love to chew plastic. My recent new bin lid lasted for less than 24hrs.

Best of all though was years ago when one chewed through my mates gas hose-caused a bit of panic as it was an old wooden cruiser that met no sort of regulations and the gas bottle was just sat in the cockpit.

9 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Destructive little beasts that love to chew plastic. My recent new bin lid lasted for less than 24hrs.

Best of all though was years ago when one chewed through my mates gas hose-caused a bit of panic as it was an old wooden cruiser that met no sort of regulations and the gas bottle was just sat in the cockpit.

OK, if I find the rat or squirrel the blowtorch I'll let you know:).

In fairness, the OP posted photos of rats in the bin so they do have some element of guilt, but I think they've been 'fitted up' over the hole in the bin. I don't know why but I think someone has cut that hole. It might be to ensure that the wheelie bin sinks if it's thrown in the river, but that is just a wild guess.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

The rats have frightened off all the squirrels! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

OK, if I find the rat or squirrel the blowtorch I'll let you know:).

In fairness, the OP posted photos of rats in the bin so they do have some element of guilt, but I think they've been 'fitted up' over the hole in the bin. I don't know why but I think someone has cut that hole. It might be to ensure that the wheelie bin sinks if it's thrown in the river, but that is just a wild guess.

I never claimed the rats created the hole, merely that it was 'rat-sized' and therefore encouraged them to visit for a rat picnic. We are not going to eradicate them from public parks but we can discourage them from feasting right next to boats by maintaining bins adequately. Last week there were 3 bins on the pontoon - 1 complete bin on the left (as you look at the park), 1 in the middle with the rat-sized hole and the 3rd on the right with no lid (as shown in the photo). Would you be able to confirm if this 3rd bin has been replaced? Many thanks 

11 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I never claimed the rats created the hole, merely that it was 'rat-sized' and therefore encouraged them to visit for a rat picnic. We are not going to eradicate them from public parks but we can discourage them from feasting right next to boats by maintaining bins adequately. Last week there were 3 bins on the pontoon - 1 complete bin on the left (as you look at the park), 1 in the middle with the rat-sized hole and the 3rd on the right with no lid (as shown in the photo). Would you be able to confirm if this 3rd bin has been replaced? Many thanks 

I'm not going out there, it's dark and there's rats😱.

On a more serious note, I'll have a look tomorrow and see what the bins are like and how many. The bin with the hole in had no waste food in it when I checked earlier.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Same animal - one just has a less furry tail. 

Yup, I've always thought there were three types of rat. Tree rat = squirrel, sky rat = seagull and of course bog standard rat, who actually gets a pretty duff deal. Everyone looks at a squirrel and says how 'cute' they are, but get one in your house however and find out just how 'cute' they really are. They, like rats, have a fine set of claws and teeth to deal with life's little problems. One could say that rats clear up the mess that we leave (bit like Wombles really;)).

Looking at it, anthropomorphically, from a rat's perspective they could reasonably say,"We do all this work for them clearing up, and just because of one plague centuries ago we are eternally condemned (and it wasn't even us, it was the d*mn fleas)" :unsure:

Last time I visited Center Parcs in Sherwood Forest I saw the big plastic Biffa bins had lots of holes in them, wondered about a rat problem but it was the squirrels. Not a problem with metal bins, ........... the blowtorch isn't hot enough.

10 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

@MrsM

Apologies because its nothing to do with your post really but we do get a better class of Rodent in Bedford ...😀

20220822_224050.jpg

What a handsome creature! Started married life in Bedford and have fond memories of our time there.

• Love 1

My understanding is that an unrepealed law means that, if you catch a grey squirrel, you are obliged to kill it (humanely) because, legally, they are classed as vermin. It was reported a year or so ago that someone had to get a special licence to open a hospital for injured  grey squirrels. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

12 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Everyone looks at a squirrel and says how 'cute' they are, but get one in your house however and find out just how 'cute' they really are. They, like rats, have a fine set of claws and teeth to deal with life's little problems.

One of those problems appears to be an abundance of electrical cables in the loft that needs the insulation chewing off... :o

14 hours ago, MrsM said:

Having checked the bins, the one on the end still has no lid, but looking more closely the bins are owned by Leicester City Council and talking to a CRT litterpicker who has just come past, it is Leicester City Council's responsibility as it is regarded as part of Castle Gardens, CRT have no emptying contract for them. The Council apparently empty them, manually. The bins are permanently chained to the stanchions (presumably to stop them being thrown in the river) and the litterpicker stated that when the Council come to empty them, they bring another bin and pick all of the rubbish out of them, which must be 'exciting' if there are rats in the bin at the time.

Interestingly the conversation with the litter-picker suggests that the reputation of Leicester for problems between here and Kilby Bridge are somewhat undeserved (as is the case in a few other locations throughout the country these days where people are told not to stop in certain areas). He said it can be a bit noisy during term time at the University, but what city isn't?

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MrsM said:

Could the melt hole be as a result of hot Ashes from a boaters fire

Edited by tree monkey

TL;DR

Give me a rat over a mouse, at least I keep my house

Give me a rat,  a badger or a squirrel any day over a pesky mouse. 

We had a mouse wreak havoc for a week (or it may have week'd havoc for a wreak) in our boat a few years back, and it didn't even have a blow torch or an angle grinder, let alone a portable gas soldering iron. 

The little sod got in through a very small hole somewhere and commenced eating his way through the entire boat and our belongings. He got behind the plywood lining  by chewing his way through, and nesting in the rock wool. He chewed through the washing machine hose,causing a leak, the oven insulation and the contents of my pant drawer (brave little fella).

It would have been a bit easier to accept, had we not had two bloomin cats onboard at the time,who were both outsmarted by the thing at every turn. 

I got many traps and poison, which I'm pretty sure he never touched.

It just disappeared one night, after a very frustrating week (as we could hear it in the night). 

I fear if we had a wooden boat, he wood have eaten the whole damn thing and made us homeless from the inside out. 

So, give me a badger, a squirrel or a rat any day. They are too big to get inside, and cute enough to write a 'wind in the willows'  squeekel about.  

What good is a damn mouse unless you like beer tricks Potter.