Deliberate damage to infrastructure

Chris John

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, you've got to have your centre rope tied up,  haven't you?

I really don’t get this tying up with a centre line thing….nearest I’ve done to it is with a long chain & padlocks through a mooring ring at York when there was a spate of boats being untied…..

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

I really don’t get this tying up with a centre line thing…

Its really weird isn't it. Seems like a fashion thing. See the odd boat here and there doing it and have to copy. 

It's not s though there's a major problem with boats coming un-moored without the centre line tied to something is it?!

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Its really weird isn't it. Seems like a fashion thing. See the odd boat here and there doing it and have to copy. 

It's not s though there's a major problem with boats coming un-moored without the centre line tied to something is it?!

I think Robbie Wotsit did it on Canal Boat Diaries and that started a trend. I don't remember seeing anyone doing it until a few years ago.

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

I really don’t get this tying up with a centre line thing….nearest I’ve done to it is with a long chain & padlocks through a mooring ring at York when there was a spate of boats being untied…..

If I think there is a chance of being 'cast adrift' during the night, I just drop a 56lb weight from the offside tied to something suitable on the boat.  I've even used one fore and aft at a particularly difficult bank side rather than struggling to find somewhere suitable to bang a pin in. (There's a thought for Regents Canal next time!). 

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

If I think there is a chance of being 'cast adrift' during the night, I just drop a 56lb weight from the offside tied to something suitable on the boat.  I've even used one fore and aft at a particularly difficult bank side rather than struggling to find somewhere suitable to bang a pin in. (There's a thought for Regents Canal next time!). 

I prefer the visual deterrent of the chain….and there’s always risk of a weight or anchor dragging on a river. 

The centre rope  is slack so  isn't doing any work , at least not at the moment the picture was taken

I doubt installing the pin has done any damage but could be interesting to see how the pin is removed if it has just rained heavily at that location and the bags are dry mix concrete filled and recently placed. The process of removing the pin may well cause damage

Ugly concrete walls get grafitti and tagging, an ugly repair like this deserves much worse than a mooring pin.

Some banks are made of stone and unfortunately it is sometimes neccessary to find a gap to drive a pin in, so putting a pin through this horrid repair is no big deal.

As more towpath becomes "wall to bank" cycleway I fear driving pins through anything will become the norm. Maybe CRT should have fitted some rings to the sandbags ? 😀

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

As you'll know, a former moorings landlord of yours and mine insisted on it, and he's not a man that I'd describe as fashionable. I didn't understand his reason but it was politic just to do as he asked.

6 hours ago, dmr said:

Ugly concrete walls get grafitti and tagging, an ugly repair like this deserves much worse than a mooring pin.

Some banks are made of stone and unfortunately it is sometimes neccessary to find a gap to drive a pin in, so putting a pin through this horrid repair is no big deal.

As more towpath becomes "wall to bank" cycleway I fear driving pins through anything will become the norm. Maybe CRT should have fitted some rings to the sandbags ? 😀

I've often wondered about getting myself a hefty Hilti gun so I can fire in a couple of small but immensely strong fixings into concrete banks for mooring.

Also them horizontal railway lines bolted onto wartime vertical concrete piling (on the Oxford, GU etc) where there is no space to get a goat chain behind.  I often wonder about welding on my own mooring loops...

4 hours ago, MtB said:

I've often wondered about getting myself a hefty Hilti gun so I can fire in a couple of small but immensely strong fixings into concrete banks for mooring.

Also them horizontal railway lines bolted onto wartime vertical concrete piling (on the Oxford, GU etc) where there is no space to get a goat chain behind.  I often wonder about welding on my own mooring loops...

We did the BCN explorer cruise many years ago. There was one good paved mooring, and it appeared that its main intended function should have been a mooring, but it had no rings and no means of mooring a boat.  The BCN people had a collection of small metal plates that they slid into the gaps between the paving, and each had a hole in the top to take a rope.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

We did the BCN explorer cruise many years ago. There was one good paved mooring, and it appeared that its main intended function should have been a mooring, but it had no rings and no means of mooring a boat.  The BCN people had a collection of small metal plates that they slid into the gaps between the paving, and each had a hole in the top to take a rope.

ISTR it has been improved since, rings installed, at least on one side of the cut?

16 hours ago, frangar said:

I did it the first time I moored in Llangollen Basin, but only because the boat was about twice as long as the jetty and I couldn't get the front line to the jetty.

On subsequent visits the boats I have used had gunwale fender rings which I used instead.

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

That could be a shocking experience!

Not any more....

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/national-grid-cable-decommissioning-project

[Looking forward to the new stretch of mooring rings in Regent's Park once the work has been done]

43 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Not any more....

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/national-grid-cable-decommissioning-project

[Looking forward to the new stretch of mooring rings in Regent's Park once the work has been done]

That's going to annoy quite a few CCers/CMers along that stretch -- I wonder where they'll go instead?

We are in Skipton presently. Normally I use a spring. There’s local trip boats going past speed all day, day boats toing and froing.

Not an option to knock a pin in for the spring. Therefore there’s a slack(ish) centre line through a ring, to stop me heading off involuntarily.

Always been a follower of fashion.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We are in Skipton presently. Normally I use a spring. There’s local trip boats going past speed all day, day boats toing and froing.

Not an option to knock a pin in for the spring. Therefore there’s a slack(ish) centre line through a ring, to stop me heading off involuntarily.

I just try to moor opposite the Boathouse bar... 🍺😁

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Can’t you use the ring that your centre line is through for a spring line?

14 hours ago, dmr said:

Yes I remember and would love to get some. 
My other idea is to reclaim my battery SDS hammer drill and plant some mooring rings of my own.