DIY Porthole surrounds and linings

Featured Posts

Having recently replaced my porthole windows I was in the market for some internal surrounds. I found it difficult to find any manufactured ones that were suitable. Few if any ‘how to’ articles from fellow boaters, one of which even suggested buying a large chrome dog bowl and cutting the bottom out. Imagine going into Pet's at Home, excuse me mate, can I have 9 chrome dog bowls please. Really!

SWMBO did not want metal of any sort so considered having wooden ones bespoke made but soon disregarded this because of a) expense, b) visits to boat to measure and fit etc. So being basically to mean to pay anyone to do something I can do reasonably well myself, I decided to make my own. In these times of rising costs, any savings to be made to our increasingly expensive past time is a blessing and if I can help someone else save a few bob, all the better.

I have documented the process to help show how relatively easy it is to do with not a lot of equipment. I Copy the link below into your browser if you want to know how I went about it.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiGuvvKKbdhqiF7H43CKTOUGM3Pg?e=V12Upn

Sounds interesting but I don't blindly follow obscure links would it be possible to provide a more transparent link and a description of what I will be taken to?

Ma n y thanks

!!!! BEWARE !!!!

In response to a Google question

what is 1drv.mvs?

"The URL is used for sharing links as part of Microsoft One Drive. As a result of this the URL is often associated with malicious files and other"

Edited by reg

2 hours ago, Dave Martin said:

Copy the link below into your browser if you want to know how I went about it.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiGuvvKKbdhqiF7H43CKTOUGM3Pg?e=V12Upn

The link takes you to a One Drive file. The text is too small to read on my phone screen, and there is no facility to zoom in. I have downloaded the file, but the version of Word on my phone can't open it as the file size is too big.

Better to save it as a pdf which folks can download and read, or a simple html file on a Web page. You could even copy and paste the content directly into a post on here.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

O.K

I have been informed that file is safe to view

Personally I will always be wary of public links to Microsoft one drive files and will treat them with caution.

It appears that this is Microsoft word document which is another favoured way of transmitting virus using Word macros.I

Now that the file has been verified I'm happy to welcome Dave Martin aboard.

I do think that David Macks suggestions of a PDF, HTML or long forum post are better options for the op to consider.

Edited by reg