Boaters and That £400

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Under the triple lock your state pension will increase by (at least) inflation, albeit that the increase lags behind the inflation rate. And if you are over 60 you should already be getting free prescriptions.

That was my expectation last year, but triple !ock was cancelled, presumably too expensive, so they docked my pension , effectively by  seven percent.

I paid for my pension over my working life, from age sixteen to  sixty six. 

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I wouldn't hold your breath.  We may get it retrospectively I guess + paperwork.  I'd rather they spent the money on sorting out our energy security in the first place, because it is only going to get worse.

Closing most or all of Britain's town gas works was, with the benefit of hindsight, just as short-sighted a move as closing many of our rural railways. 

Nonetheless, I can't share your pessimism; after all, oil prices have been going down for several weeks now, thereby counteracting any increaseoin electricity rates.

Edited by Athy

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Closing most or all of Britain's town gas works was, with the benefit of hindsight, just as short-sighted a move as closing many of our rural railways. 

Nonetheless, I can't share your pessimism; after all, oil prices have been going down for several weeks now, thereby counteracting any increaseoin electricity rates.

Good grief, that town gas was ghastly stuff, gong back to the slums in Glasgow, 1950, coal gas was an abomination. 

North Sea gas was originally a by product of North Sea oil. Often burnt off untill pipelines became economic.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Good grief, that town gas was ghastly stuff, gong back to the slums in Glasgow, 1950, coal gas was an abomination. 

North Sea gas was originally a by product of North Sea oil. Often burnt off untill pipelines became economic.

At least with coal gas you could kill yourself by putting your head in the oven and turning on the gas. With natural gas all you can do is blow yourself up once there is enough gad in the room to become explosive.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Athy said:

...and cheap, and reliably available.

Given that it was a coal product, at least in the short term, it would no longer be much of an option . . . unless you are happy with coal mines everywhere, esp in your back garden, old men with horrendous lungs and children orphaned early.

• Greenie 1

On 17/08/2022 at 15:56, Bod said:

If you are living "under the radar" don't expect to be found.

Bod

If one is above the radar, is that ok?

I’m above the radar.

My coal, diesel and gas has gone up. 
Can I have a hand out like what house holders get ?

Don’t need £400 but something/anything would help. 

Edited by Goliath

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I thought that had been stopped, not sure 

EDIT Removed incorrect info.

According to THE site it is still age 60.

No idea what happened to the proposal to align it with state pension age other than this was met with a lot of opposition. Seems to of gone quite since March 2022 but no definitive statement that it has been dropped.

Suspect it is being kept in the governments back pocket so that it can be used as a bargaining tool in the future.

Edited by reg
  • Happy 1