Boaters and That £400

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

Boat Dwellers - There may be some good news regarding receiving the government £400 towards helping with energy bills. Please see below...good news is that the consultation findings say that: 

Households without a domestic supply contract

Some households will not receive EBSS from a supplier if they do not have a domestic electricity contract with a licensed electricity supplier. Affected groups would include those who pay their electricity as part of an inclusive charge with supply through a non-domestic contract. For example, residents of park homes paying a site owner, properties on a private electricity network and those who are not connected to the electricity grid. Evidence suggests at up to 400,000 would not receive EBSS support due to these circumstances, compared with approximately 29 million that will.

For these affected households, funding will be made available as soon as possible. We are developing approaches that will ensure they receive £400 equivalent support for energy bills this winter, working with local authorities, the devolved administrations and commercial partners. An announcement with details on how and when these households across Great Britain can access this support will be made this autumn.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/technical-proposals-for-the-energy-bills-support-scheme

and

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1096205/energy-bills-support-scheme-government-response.pdf

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Bod said:

If you are living "under the radar" don't expect to be found.

Bod

Lol!l

I've been thinking something along these lines too, but you expressed it so much more articulately than I'd have!

Duly greenified.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I thought it was  £150.

That's inflation for you.

That was the initial response. A council tax rebate for bands A to D. 

It was then added to with a £200 repayable discount off energy bills which changed to a non repayable £400 discount, which will be applied by energy firms in installments over 6 months from October.

I m an OAP and I get a payment for heating mid winter, I think it's £200, but now I'm totally confused about these other payments, do I now get £400 instead of the £200, or in addition, or nothing extra?

I don't know for certain., but pretty sure that is an extra and will be nothing to do with the winter bonus. From what I read in the post, the £400 for people who aren't supplied directly by the energy companies isn't certain yet, just consultion findings around how to support people who can't access the discount directly off their energy bill.

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I m an OAP and I get a payment for heating mid winter, I think it's £200, but now I'm totally confused about these other payments, do I now get £400 instead of the £200, or in addition, or nothing extra?

For those eligible, they would get the £400 in addition to any OAP winter payment.

Sorry @LadyG. I'm not trying to confuse you, just help  

I've had a quick look. 

The £400 is completely separate to the Winter Fuel payment for OAPs.

The Winter fuel payment thus year should include a bonus for the current situation. https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get

Depending on  your financial circumstances, and on how things work out for helping people who aren't connected to the mains for gas and electric, you might be able to access additional financial support.

When the new government has settled in and decided exactly what they plan to do, it might be worth contacting citizens advice to check you are getting everything you are entitled to. For boaters, who Citizens Advice probably aren't aware of much, keep checking on here what other people are able to claim. 

4 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Sorry @LadyG. I'm not trying to confuse you, just help  

I've had a quick look. 

The £400 is completely separate to the Winter Fuel payment for OAPs.

The Winter fuel payment thus year should include a bonus for the current situation. https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get

Depending on  your financial circumstances, and on how things work out for helping people who aren't connected to the mains for gas and electric, you might be able to access additional financial support.

When the new government has settled in and decided exactly what they plan to do, it might be worth contacting citizens advice to check you are getting everything you are entitled to. For boaters, who Citizens Advice probably aren't aware of much, keep checking on here what other people are able to claim. 

Yes thanks, like everyone else, trying to budget is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

That was the initial response. A council tax rebate for bands A to D. 

It was then added to with a £200 repayable discount off energy bills which changed to a non repayable £400 discount, which will be applied by energy firms in installments over 6 months from October.

How splendid. I'll look forward to it. Our last quarterly electricity bill was £193, so if we're careful our account might even be in credit in a few months' time.

Just now, Athy said:

How splendid. I'll look forward to it. Our last quarterly electricity bill was £193, so if we're careful our account might even be in credit in a few months' time.

If you aren't on a previous lower fixed rate it won't be in credit for long once you start using your heating and the new rates kick in. But every little helps. 

I think boaters are probably conservative users of energy, I know I have become much more aware since moving on board, no longer paying by DD, but by the sackfull or by the tankfull, probably makes one more careful.

6 minutes ago, Ianws said:

If you aren't on a previous lower fixed rate it won't be in credit for long once you start using your heating and the new rates kick in. But every little helps. 

I was slightly joking but only slightly.

Heating chez Athy is by oil (paid for in advance, tank recently filled at a lower price than last time) and living fire (free wood, coal already in stock) so the only extra heating-related expense on our bill will the central heating pump, which is electric.

27 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I'm pretty sure this is the current support for everyone until any new govt changes

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022

That's great, I'm going to get £500 as my winter fuel payment, paid automatically in Nov/Dec, nice.

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

If you are on pension credit, no idea if you are (or expect you to say), you may be entitled to more. 

Oh yes , there are quite a few extras available to oldies, which is a good thing, but a pension increase in line with inflation and free prescriptions would be fairer, in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh yes , there are quite a few extras available to oldies, which is a good thing, but a pension increase in line with inflation and free prescriptions would be fairer, in my opinion.

Under the triple lock your state pension will increase by (at least) inflation, albeit that the increase lags behind the inflation rate. And if you are over 60 you should already be getting free prescriptions.

Edited by David Mack

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I was slightly joking but only slightly.

Heating chez Athy is by oil (paid for in advance, tank recently filled at a lower price than last time) and living fire (free wood, coal already in stock) so the only extra heating-related expense on our bill will the central heating pump, which is electric.

You cook by oil-fired Aga I suspect then. My own range in my hovel has electric ovens which gobble the power and are the main consumer of leccy here. 

I"ve just had a delivery of oil myself at 80.9p per litre, plus 5% VAT. A monstrous price. Looking back at my old orders the cheapest I ever paid for oil was 24.22p a litre, on 19/10/20. 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

You cook by oil-fired Aga I suspect then. My own range in my hovel has electric ovens which gobble the power and are the main consumer of leccy here. 

I"ve just had a delivery of oil myself at 80.9p per litre, plus 5% VAT. A monstrous price. Looking back at my old orders the cheapest I ever paid for oil was 24.22p a litre, on 19/10/20. 

You suspect almost correctly - it's a Rayburn. 

My oil-buying experience is similar to yours: it's much more expensive than it was a couple of years ago, but our recent delivery came at 10p per litre cheaper (or less expensive) than the one we had in the spring. I can't remember the figures. EDIT: 87p a litre plus V.A.T. We buy from a company called Boiler Juice.

Edited by Athy

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

My prescriptions were free from age 60.