Hose Pipe Ban

Tonka

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Are you a member of Thunderboat. If not, I expect you would fit right in. 

Sorry I only go as far as Tosh, not yet mastered complete B#%llks.

Nice to see the old sibling rivalry smoulders on, almost nostalgic

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Why would you use a hose pipe connected to drinking water supply to wash a boat which is afloat? 

Because the water in which the boat floats may be dirty or salty .

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Loads of numpties do it. It used to pee me off, stood on the roof of said, shiney boat washing the damn thing whilst hogging a water point. It rains oft enough in the UK even in hot weather to wash the dust off.

Sadly rain does not wash off dust etc from a boat any better than a car ie not at all.

8 hours ago, Tonka said:

If you are a leisure boater and you fill your water pipe using a hose pipe, then that is considered as leisure use so that is not allowed in areas where there is a hosepipe ban in force

Quite clear to me that filling your domestic water tank on your boat to be  used for domestic use is 100% acceptable and it makes no difference whether you are live aboard , hobby boater , hire boater or whatever other sort of boater you happen to be.

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Quite clear to me that filling your domestic water tank on your boat to be  used for domestic use is 100% acceptable and it makes no difference whether you are live aboard , hobby boater , hire boater or whatever other sort of boater you happen to be.

I have seen quite a bit about this topic on Facebook, and I read it as people just making mischief.  The reason for saying that leisure boaters can not use a hose to fill the tank, is based on the headline restriction of use for “domestic recreational” purposes.

What is clear and without doubt though is that using a hose to wash a private boat in not permissible, and that would apply to all, liveaboards as well as leasure boaters, but not to hire boats or trip boats.

That is my reading it it all, we shall see soon as we are in the Thames water area (actually on the Thames), so will the EA be posting notices on all the water points, to say cans only no hoses for none residential boats.

23 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Try washing your boat or car with canal water and let us know how that works for you....

Had boats for over 50 years and never used drinking water to wash down and people who know me will tell you we kept our boats in good clean order. My last barge had a deck wash pump which drew water through the mud box.

Surely filling the water tank is covered by this:

What are the exemptions?

There are some exemptions for certain people with "specific circumstances".

A hosepipe can be used when it is needed for "unavoidable" health and safety reasons.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, john6767 said:

......... so will the EA be posting notices on all the water points, to say cans only no hoses for none residential boats.

It's not  the EA's responsibility to enforce the water companies restriction.

In any case there is nothing at all to worry about .

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

My son lives in the Thames Water area and has a pond stocked with fish 

He asked Thames Water about this and they said yes it is permissible to maintain the pond at normal levels using a hose in order to prevent the fish from suffering.

this is in the Thames Water rules. 

A57C95B1-3F87-416A-80D5-79E109463E76.jpeg

605AA030-1414-4C7B-B9AF-42690BCE367F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Sadly rain does not wash off dust etc from a boat any better than a car ie not at all.

Lol, I dont waste any of my one life ever washing my cars either. Just the glass when needed and lights.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Had boats for over 50 years and never used drinking water to wash down and people who know me will tell you we kept our boats in good clean order. My last barge had a deck wash pump which drew water through the mud box.

Good for you. I find it leaves muddy streaks and things a bit scummy . Its OK for a quick wash down to get the thick off, but not for a proper clean in my opinion

And before some one says I'm not one of the shiny boat  brigade I whatever they are. 

Guess it may depend on the quality or otherwise of the canal water I'm just speaking from my experience and if your happy with water possibly infected with weils disease, other people's grey water or worse that's fine.  I'm not, but fully respect your choice. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, sueb said:

We never used tap water for boat cleaning. Canal water is fine try it.

I have and do occasionally but the results are not acceptable to me or more importantly to SWMBO 😄.

I don't see what the issue is using tap water frankly, although would never hog a water point and mainly wash my boat when returning from a trip at my mooring. I do like to use a good Shampoo when cleaning the boat and think a small investment  of time and materials is worthwhile, in the hope it helps preserve the paint job...

• Greenie 3

I was asked by a passer by if I had been told not to move the boat , not sure if that was following the hosepipe ban or the publicity following closures of the L&L

I assume the CRT buy drinking water from the local Water Company, but in general use their own reservoirs to supply the canals,

I'm not sure the little blue signs have raised awareness among the general public if they confuse CRT water with Yorkshire Water

Edited by LadyG

Lack of hygiene and  a grubby boat  with faded paintwork seems,  favoured by some people .

There is a fresh water supply tap  within a few feet  (or is it a metre) of my  home mooring so I tend to use it . I rarely use the hosepipe to wash the boat - instead prefer to use a bucket.

As far as the hosepipe ban is concerned it will be  distant memory in another couple of months 

River level is on the rise here , up 4 inches in 24 hrs (imperial units for the Xenophobes/Nationalists  ) . Looks like the EA are opening the sluices at Colwick to control the level upstream so more water is expected to be working its way down.

image.png.e6492643f7f0e7807d3230c236d98862.png

• Happy 1