Hose Pipe Ban

Tonka

Featured Posts

Just now, Tonka said:

If you are a leisure boater and you fill your water pipe using a hose pipe, then that is considered as leisure use so that is not allowed in areas where there is a hosepipe ban in force

I think not. It is essential use. The last time we had a hose pipe ban I asked Thames Water if it was OK to use a hose to fill a water but from which cans were drawn rater than fill the cans from the tap and I was told it was legal to do that, but not use the hose direct onto the garden.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If you are a leisure boater and you fill your water pipe using a hose pipe, then that is considered as leisure use so that is not allowed in areas where there is a hosepipe ban in force

Not sure tat is correct? in the past when we have had bans I think filling the boats tank was ok even for hobby boaters?

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Can you cite a source that supports this rather bizarre claim?

17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I don't think you are correct, you can use a hosepipe to fill your water tank but not to do things like wash your boat.

thats good, don't fancy using a watering can to fill the tank - people waiting would get upset!

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Occasionally on this forum I speak complete tosh, it's comforting to find that I'm not alone in this.

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to recall during the last hosepipe ban that affected me, boaters were excluded, including washing the boat as its considered a public health issue !! 

I don't recall any difference being made between residential and leisure. 

I would have been marina based and I'm sure that was the message passed on by the marina management from "the authorities"

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Apparently if you pay a boatyard to fill your water tank then that is allowed as it's business use.

I don't know where you are getting your information from but it is not very accurate 🙂 

21 minutes ago, haggis said:

I don't know where you are getting your information from but it is not very accurate 🙂 

Better to go to the official source material. For example, this from South West Water:Screenshot_20220817-100703_Word.jpg.e7884d263ba8209d3a482c8a4cd7d67a.jpg

So washing your boat with a hosepipe is out, but no restriction on filling the water tank.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Better to go to the official source material. For example, this from South West Water:Screenshot_20220817-100703_Word.jpg.e7884d263ba8209d3a482c8a4cd7d67a.jpg

So washing your boat with a hosepipe is out, but no restriction on filling the water tank.

But that list is wrong. The BBC news stated that you can still fill your fish pond with a hose

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Which  is I would contend the correct and more accurate interpretation than the original post.

13 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But that list is wrong. The BBC news stated that you can still fill your fish pond with a hose

That list is from South West Water and is based on their legal powers to restrict hosepipe use. So if the BBC is stating otherwise, then they are wrong, at least in the SWW area. Other water authorities may be imposing less onerous restrictions (although I doubt it).

We do not yet have a hosepipe ban, but on the definitions used by S W Water, I would have been ok yesterday when I used the garden hose to wash the paint off my wife's boots and trousers while she was still wearing them. She had  stepped on the lid of a nearly-full  10 litre plastic tub of water-based fence paint and the lid collapsed! .

Edited by Ronaldo47
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Why would you use a hose pipe connected to drinking water supply to wash a boat which is afloat? 

Loads of numpties do it. It used to pee me off, stood on the roof of said, shiney boat washing the damn thing whilst hogging a water point. It rains oft enough in the UK even in hot weather to wash the dust off.

Edited by mrsmelly

I'm sure, now that we have diverted to this side issue, that it would be more illegal to allow a stocked pond to dry out and thereby cause suffering to animals than it would be fill the pond. I don't know if this is true but I would suggest that the would be the legal interpretation. Fortunately I don't have a fish pond on my boat so it's academic to me.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, reg said:

I'm sure, now that we have diverted to this side issue, that it would be more illegal to allow a stocked pond to dry out and thereby cause suffering to animals than it would be fill the pond. I don't know if this is true but I would suggest that the would be the legal interpretation. Fortunately I don't have a fish pond on my boat so it's academic to me.

My son lives in the Thames Water area and has a pond stocked with fish 

He asked Thames Water about this and they said yes it is permissible to maintain the pond at normal levels using a hose in order to prevent the fish from suffering.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, reg said:

I think it would take a few more weeks of very hot weather to evaporate a decent sized fish pond. I topped mine up in late May (from the water butt) and it's not dropped more than a quarter inch since, with a circulating stream running. Mine's about 3m x 2m. Metres, not miles...

• Greenie 1