Damage to Chesterfield Canal, Worksop

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Last week we passed a winding point that was only marked in metres! I think it was on the GU Leicester section. I didn't know off the top of my head how long my 58' boat is in metres and so wouldn't have known if I could use it. Thought it was v odd to have the sign in metres only.

A lot of the new signs CRT have put up to local landmarks are in metric. Being an ancient, I just treat them as yards and add a few. Maybe we should recarve all the mileposts.

ETA my local woodward still sells plywood in 8x4 sheets, though the thickness is in mm.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A lot of people under 60 can use both Metric & Imperial

As when buying an 8ft by 4ft sheet of 9mm plywood.

[Should have read to the end of the thread before replying!]

2 hours ago, DShK said:

Britain's metric muddle not changing any time soon | YouGov

I'm currently in the US where most folk would have little more idea about cooking in pounds and ounces, since all their recipes are measured in cups!

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, frangar said:

There used to be speed limit signs on the leics section in the late 90’s that said 6.43 kph limit….I think an area manager for BW at the time was French…

The Trent has kilometre marks starting at Nottingham  and as far as Gainsborough

image.png.2cccb59aeb4eec78d7f3960a8504757b.png

I am fairly sure  there are some kph speed limit signs remaining on a lock somewhere .

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Didn’t something like this happen a few years ago, when the Council, Cart and maybe the EA argued about who was responsible for switching on a pumping station and who had the keys for it, so it wasn’t switched on to help take water away?

I seam to remember something like that around this area????

There was a sluice in the Canch that wasn't opened last time Worksop flooded a couple of years ago.

I believe looking at how low levels in the Canch now get that it is left permanently open. 

The flooding yesterday was surface water run off rather than flooding from the river. 4 inches of rain in a short time period hitting rock hard dry ground just had nowhere to go.

Sadly the areas hit were the same areas as last time.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Didn’t something like this happen a few years ago, when the Council, Cart and maybe the EA argued about who was responsible for switching on a pumping station and who had the keys for it, so it wasn’t switched on to help take water away?

I seam to remember something like that around this area????

There was a sluice in the Canch that wasn't opened last time Worksop flooded a couple of years ago.

I believe looking at how low levels in the Canch now get that it is left permanently open. 

The flooding yesterday was surface water run off rather than flooding from the river. 4 inches of rain in a short time period hitting rock hard dry ground just had nowhere to go.

Sadly the areas hit were the same areas as last time.

7 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Keep a weather eye open around there.

The Calder is a rather volatile river and can rise up very quickly!

Yes, I noticed scary sandbags about ten feet above normal level where I moored short term last week,  I'm in Elland now, looks ok, I assume the river will take the rain away, it looks OK.

It's  a quaint custom that length of boats are usually referenced in feet  although French boats are in metres .

And the UK mix of road signs in miles with fuel sold in litres yet beer sold in pints is also quaintly British.

There is nothing wrong with this mix and I see no need to change it.

I have spent my whole secondary education and working life in the  UK and used the metric system throughout.  I am 63.

My wife is the same age as me but she uses imperial measure for cooking (for example) .

So I think the acceptance or otherwise of metric measurements is a matter of  personal experience.

Britain started to change to metric /decimal systems in 1965 so its not as if the idea hasn't been around for well over half a century.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I noticed scary sandbags about ten feet above normal level where I moored short term last week,  I'm in Elland now, looks ok, I assume the river will take the rain away, it looks OK.

That isn't a safe assumption to make. Elland has flooded very badly, including the canal on Boxing Day 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35217446

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Sad 1

There is some  mixed up thinking at CRT sign making department (no surprises there!), some lock locations are what,three,words, and some are grid.reference.

Personally I just describe my location eg "Specific Top Lock", if that's not enough. I write the postcode in my log book, plus description, just in case I have to ask emergency services, to come to my aid. 

I did some work assembling modules for the oil and gas industry (less than 5 years ago) and all the structural steelwork had metric dimensions and metric bolting, all of the pipework and stud bolts for joining it were specified in inches, however the stud bolt lengths were metric so I used hundreds of 5/8" UNC x 90mm long stud bolts for connecting 2"  pipe flanges ! 

springy

5 hours ago, DShK said:

RIght, it was a bit of a hyperbole but the facts are there. Metric has been taught in the UK since, what - the mid 70s? The majority of younger people prefer to use metric. Why would we want to use a standard that is dead in pretty much all but the US? Metric is the SI unit, used internationally in ALL of engineering, physics, chemistry, software development.

My point was that you come across as a boomer for pointlessly correcting someone's use of a unit that the majority of people understand or prefer.

Britain's metric muddle not changing any time soon | YouGov

🤣🤣🤣🤣

This gets funnier by the minute.

Edited by Athy

4 hours ago, springy said:

I did some work assembling modules for the oil and gas industry (less than 5 years ago) and all the structural steelwork had metric dimensions and metric bolting, all of the pipework and stud bolts for joining it were specified in inches, however the stud bolt lengths were metric so I used hundreds of 5/8" UNC x 90mm long stud bolts for connecting 2"  pipe flanges ! 

springy

I remember some years ago reading a paper describing the design and construction of an office block in London for an American client. The client had appointed an American architect who had designed an ornamented stone cladding for the building facades. But they had appointed a British structural engineer to design the building frame, as they would be familiar with UK design standards, building regulations etc. The author commented that checking the compatibility between the structural drawings (in metric units) and the facade drawings (imperial) and ensuring that the individual pieces of stone were cut to fit the frame took up much more time than anyone had assumed.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

…I'm in Elland now, looks ok, I assume the river will take the rain away, it looks OK.

Give my regards to the basin, i did my canoeing badge with Scouts there, you couldn’t pay me enough to roll one over and get a gobfull of water there nowadays :D 

• Haha 1

The earliest mixture which I remember, long before the blight of metrication descended upon our fair and unsuspecting land, was in the world of model railways. Even in the early 1960s, the scale of my Trix trains and of my friend's Hornby-Dublo ones was expressed as 4mm to the foot. As far as I'm aware, it still is.

4 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Another example of mixed units is vehicle tyre sizing.  My car uses 205 (mm) x 16 (inches) tyres.

That's a good example. Then there are our boats and their engines. My 45 foot boat has a 2,800 c.c. engine.

It all adds to life's rich tapestry.

18 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A lot of the new signs CRT have put up to local landmarks are in metric. Being an ancient, I just treat them as yards and add a few. Maybe we should recarve all the mileposts.

ETA my local woodward still sells plywood in 8x4 sheets, though the thickness is in mm.

When metrication first came it it was explicitly stated that dimensions could/should be given in imperial units if that is what they were in whole numbers. Hence the mixed practice with sheet materials was encouraged as you indicate. This was to avoid making unnecessary/costly changes to production practices. Surprisingly, the equipment still seems to be going strong after over 40 years!

• Greenie 1

I spent my life working in power stations. The Central Electricity Generating Board were keen on metrication so pushed ahead in the 70s. The station I was mainly associated was nearly all designed in imperial units as the suppliers were in the UK (though some imported  Swiss equipment was all metric), However the control and indication systems  were specified in an odd mix of Centrigrade for temperature but the rest in imperial, so feet, inches, pounds per square inch etc.. Feed and steam flow rates were in in kilo-pounds per hour which always struck me as a quaint anachronism.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I was going to suggest that speeds on inland waterways might be best expressed in metres per second (mostly to wind up Athy a little) 

Ooh, you subversive fellow.

Why hasn't time gone metric yet?  These sixties and twenty-fours are so difficult to comprehend. I think we should be told.