Damage to Chesterfield Canal, Worksop

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That looks terrible .

93mm of rain in three hours !

Okay where you live ?

Where we live was fine thanks. We had some standing water in the garden for a few hours but that was gone this morning.

For the people living close to the town centre and the shops in the town centre this is the second time in as many years they have flooded now. Some had not finished renovations from the first time round :(

Not sure what can possibly be done to protect property from that level of rainfall in such a short space of time after a lengthy dry spell. No drainage system would cope with that amount of water in such a short space of time.

I had dropped Liam and the dog off at home while I went to the shops at the start of the storm. It quickly became apparent that it would be a wasted and fraught journey. I have never seen water levels rise so quickly. From sitting in traffic with a stream of water running down the channel line to being surrounded by water with the footpaths covered in a matter of minutes was quite scary. It took an hour and a half to get back home, a journey which should usually take 10 minutes.

I took these pictures last night when it became apparent pretty quickly there was going to be a problem:

298936537_5605939066125355_481861057470276800_n.jpg.cd1ca1d85f2d1916ce933bd2962f8630.jpg

299512613_5605939596125302_8099668460605125412_n.jpg.bcb69bba00a29ee82b69b6c3788ab9aa.jpg

And these are a couple from a local Farcebook group:

299188706_5606181732767755_2464080005197081900_n.jpg.6c0b3d0f4cd6bd8cfb224a4e60c1d7fc.jpg

299815852_5607438795975382_4563990347555232911_n.jpg.4dca581b75d6ba1b39ade4a3d4eb61d5.jpg

• Horror 2

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm on the Calder and Hebble, by serendipity, nice gentle rain for a good sixteen hours.

Keep a weather eye open around there.

The Calder is a rather volatile river and can rise up very quickly!

They predicted flash flooding on Yorkshire News last night, saying the ground was too dry and hard to absorb the downpour and it would just run off. Interesting experiment to demonstrate. Just click on “Watch on YouTube” not a clickbait💧

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

So far over here in East Anglia..... virtually no rain yet..... bit of drizzle then it stopped!

Currently absolutely tipping it down between Ipswich and Colchester.

109842523_Screenshot2022-08-17144307.jpg.c77bcb2abf49d165f0306de861ac94df.jpg

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar is worth a look to see where the rain is.

Edited by IanM

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

That looks terrible .

93mm of rain in three hours !

Thank goodness it fell only in tiny foreign measures, otherwise it could have been really serious.

For British readers, that's just under four inches. 

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looks like the canal in Worksop has sustained some damage during last nights flooding:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62573082

Didn’t something like this happen a few years ago, when the Council, Cart and maybe the EA argued about who was responsible for switching on a pumping station and who had the keys for it, so it wasn’t switched on to help take water away?

I seam to remember something like that around this area????

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank goodness it fell only in tiny foreign measures, otherwise it could have been really serious.

For British readers, that's just under four inches. 

No one under 60 uses inches! Literally no one.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DShK said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks for giving us a good laugh.

I really do hope that you weren't being serious.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, DShK said:

I do, I take it your not that old?

A lot of people under 60 can use both Metric & Imperial, usually the ones that don’t can’t, as they don’t know how many Cm’s to Inches there are.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks for giving us a good laugh.

I really do hope that you weren't being serious.

RIght, it was a bit of a hyperbole but the facts are there. Metric has been taught in the UK since, what - the mid 70s? The majority of younger people prefer to use metric. Why would we want to use a standard that is dead in pretty much all but the US? Metric is the SI unit, used internationally in ALL of engineering, physics, chemistry, software development.

My point was that you come across as a boomer for pointlessly correcting someone's use of a unit that the majority of people understand or prefer.

Britain's metric muddle not changing any time soon | YouGov

• Horror 1

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I do, I take it your not that old?

A lot of people under 60 can use both Metric & Imperial, usually the ones that don’t can’t, as they don’t know how many Cm’s to Inches there are.

Yes, in my experience people perhaps 40+ use both, people below that prefer metric. Perhaps I am biased because of the fields I have worked/studied in, but I can't think of a single time anyone my age (30ish) said something like "1/16th of an inch" to describe something.

Of course, because of our half-hearted attempt to convert to metric, we all still use imperial on a day to day basis - MPH on roads etc. It's just entirely backwards.

Edited by DShK
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, DShK said:

Yes, in my experience people perhaps 40+ use both, people below that prefer metric. Perhaps I am biased because of the fields I have worked/studied in, but I can't think of a single time anyone my age (30ish) said something like "1/16th of an inch" to describe something.

Of course, because of our half-hearted attempt to convert to metric, we all still use imperial on a day to day basis - MPH on roads etc. It's just entirely backwards.

Of course now we are free of Europe we can get back to proper measures without inference!  I’m 51 btw…..

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Narrowboats are still sold by the foot though, even to the young generation😂

Last week we passed a winding point that was only marked in metres! I think it was on the GU Leicester section. I didn't know off the top of my head how long my 58' boat is in metres and so wouldn't have known if I could use it. Thought it was v odd to have the sign in metres only.

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

Last week we passed a winding point that was only marked in metres! I think it was on the GU Leicester section. I didn't know off the top of my head how long my 58' boat is in metres and so wouldn't have known if I could use it. Thought it was v odd to have the sign in metres only.

There used to be speed limit signs on the leics section in the late 90’s that said 6.43 kph limit….I think an area manager for BW at the time was French…

• Happy 1