Minimum stability level needed for a houseboat

riverfan12345

Featured Posts

I've met a few guys who were CCing full time on craft of about 20ft, in fact one of them had been doing it for more than 7 years. 

It would be way too hard core a life for me, or indeed for most people, but there are a few hardy souls who are prepared to suffer the major discomforts and inconveniences, just to live afloat. 

I'm sure most of them would really like something bigger and more comfortable, but I guess for some people that's not an option, and if your budget will only stretch to a few thousand or less, you can exist on one of these small boats, at least on the canals anyway.

You could install a small stove, a basic water supply/sink etc, and even a solar panel or two, but it would be wrong to sugar coat it.

I would never want to tread upon someone's dream of life afloat, but the truth is that It's got to be a pretty tough existence, especially in the winter, and especially for someone elderly. 

If there was some way the OP's buyer could try out a few days on board something this size, it might really help to clarify his thoughts about whether its really worth all the major sacrifices he'd have to make to live this way. 

Perhaps he could ask the current owner if he could spend a couple of night aboard, to get a feel for living in such a tiny space. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's a very good point

It's bad enough getting help from social services  for people who leave near county boundaries so living a mobile life must be worse.

In the UK social care needs  a big shake up and funding as it is the lack of such care that is keeping people in hospital awaiting help and causing the issues with urgent and new patients spending hours or days in corridors on trolleys . And its going to get much worse if no action is taken.

It's a sad state of affairs, and not something any government wants to tackle, it's a no win situation.

For some reason they seem to think tweaking the standard rate of taxation, presumably PAYE is gripping the nation, it may be of interest to those in work, but  for the rest of us, it's yet another example of playing the violin while Rome burns.

Anyway that's political!

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, IanD said:

If you don't like being told that you're acting like a bullying tw*t, don't make repeated sniping posts at somebody who may not be entirely robust against them.

I don't agree with this characterisation. The idea that criticising or correcting other people's posts amounts to bullying is ridiculous. Where would that lead us? Are you bullying Alan now for example, or am I bullying you?

I also reject the idea that some people are vulnerable and need protection from others. If someone is capable of frequently posting on a public forum (much of it misinformation), then they are also capable of informing the moderators if they feel they have been bullied or unfairly targeted. You don't need to do it on others' behalf. 

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I don't agree with this characterisation. The idea that criticising or correcting other people's posts amounts to bullying is ridiculous. Where would that lead us? Are you bullying Alan now for example, or am I bullying you?

I also reject the idea that some people are vulnerable and need protection from others. If someone is capable of frequently posting on a public forum (much of it misinformation), then they are also capable of informing the moderators if they feel they have been bullied or unfairly targeted. You don't need to do it on others' behalf. 

We're having a discussion where we're both capable of giving as good as we get 🙂

Your view that Alan's posts to LadyG are not bullying is one which you're entitled to, just the same as people who would ignore (for example) a small woman being shouted at and threatened in the street by a big man on the basis that "it's none of my business" or "it's the police's job not mine".

Other people have different views which they're equally entitled to -- including saying that they think somebody's posts are inappropriate, which is what I did, admittedly in robust language... 🙂

Look back over Alan's many posts as a "forum expert" in reply to posts from LadyG, they are without exception belittling and insulting, as the post from LadyG above says -- it's perfectly possible to correct factual errors without namecalling and suggesting that maybe somebody isn't fit to be on the canals and should perhaps go and live ashore. Repeated use of language like this is bullying or gaslighting, regardless of whether you choose to ignore it or not.

Maybe I can remind you of the forum rules for posts other than in the political area?

"To ensure we provide an enjoyable and safe platform for everyone, it is expected that members be respectful and civil in all communications on the site."

"Members are required to conduct themselves in a civil manner including the use of language when engaging with other members"

If you think Alan's replies to many of LadyG's posts follow these rules, you're being as blind as a Brexiteer... 😉

[and I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is moved to the Politics section soon, like others which have provoked similar heated arguments]

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Tony1 said:

I've met a few guys who were CCing full time on craft of about 20ft, in fact one of them had been doing it for more than 7 years. 

It would be way too hard core a life for me, or indeed for most people, but there are a few hardy souls who are prepared to suffer the major discomforts and inconveniences, just to live afloat. 

I'm sure most of them would really like something bigger and more comfortable, but I guess for some people that's not an option, and if your budget will only stretch to a few thousand or less, you can exist on one of these small boats, at least on the canals anyway.

You could install a small stove, a basic water supply/sink etc, and even a solar panel or two, but it would be wrong to sugar coat it.

I would never want to tread upon someone's dream of life afloat, but the truth is that It's got to be a pretty tough existence, especially in the winter, and especially for someone elderly. 

If there was some way the OP's buyer could try out a few days on board something this size, it might really help to clarify his thoughts about whether its really worth all the major sacrifices he'd have to make to live this way. 

Perhaps he could ask the current owner if he could spend a couple of night aboard, to get a feel for living in such a tiny space. 

He could try living in a garden shed, the boat is very similar but much less stable. Not an experience I would tolerate.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

He could try living in a garden shed, the boat is very similar but much less stable. Not an experience I would tolerate.

I think it would definitely be worth some sort of trial run before committing the money, and a shed sounds as good as anything else, if only to get an idea of the space. 

The very long-term liveaboard I met had one of these shorter boats, but as in this example he had built up a rear cabin, and I think he could almost stand up in it, although there wasnt room to take more than one pace in any direction.

I think he had the basics- a coal stove made from an empty gas bottle, a basic two burner hob, a bowl to act as a sink, and a 20 litre water container with a tap on it. 

It sounds unlikely, but it must all have gone through at least one BSS exam. 

Nevertheless, it struck me as being a pretty brutal experience, and not one I would willingly endure myself, but I guess sometimes a super-tight budget and a very thick skin will steer people towards making some hard core lifestyle choices. 

Edited by Tony1

14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Then have his grandchildren in there with him - that would be fun. At least they could stumble and graze their knees though, rather than slipping and falling into a river.

Tam

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Or lift the boat out and set it up on the bank.

Then he could live on the boat with definitely no 'stability issues', at all.

• Happy 1

The OP's not been back since his first day so perhaps his 'older relative' has been put off the idea. From the OP's description of the concept I think that would be very wise. There's obviously nothing wrong with the basic idea of living on a boat, but not that boat in that manner - based in a marina with services would be a different matter. Other than stability there was nothing said about the relative, and some people are old at 60 while others are young at 80.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di