Does anyone know where the plans for this this home built narrowboat came from?

Peanut

Featured Posts

The rear rails somewhat negate the effect of the cabinside  tumblehome.

Sorry op can't help with your enquiry.

Home built boats like this though are still an achievement I know if I had built it I would of had a smile on my face when I launched it.

• Greenie 1

Why do you think it is a home build? There have been many commercial outfits over the years who have built the odd narrowboat, often without any boatbuilding experience. And if it is home built, who says there were any plans it was built from? Anyone confident enough in their welding ability to have built this could have just started with a pile of steel, and made it up as they went along.

• Greenie 1

Reg, you are right, I admire anyone who completes a boat like that, they have done well to get there.  The welding is so rough, it just has to be an amateur construction, no one would have paid for it.  Skips are usually better finished, and yes, it could have been cobbled together.

I may get an answer through the marina, but they are very reluctant to provide contact information.  I will let you know if I do.

I doubt if there were plans. Somebody did have an idea though, 6` 6" on a short boat is better than a really out of proportion 7` (although that could well have been whatever size steel there was lying around.

It has no engine, nor any sign of a rudder.  Flaky rust around the water line.  One resident wanted it for an office during lockdown, and I believe was quoted £5,000.  I have considered it myself, but there is work to be done, inside and out, and mooring fees.  A lift here would be around £272 each way, including, wash off, blocking and VAT.

30 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

It has a face for radio

Well you’d look like that if you’d run into a wall. Maybe it’s the one that t boned a yoghurt pot in another thread. Question is  - before or after repair? Still wish I could weld like that and it floated 

4 hours ago, Bee said:

I doubt if there were plans. Somebody did have an idea though, 6` 6" on a short boat is better than a really out of proportion 7` (although that could well have been whatever size steel there was lying around.

6'6" wide narrowboats weren't uncommon in the 1980's -Coles Morton Marine for example built quite a few.

I was told at the time by them that it was much cheaper to do this than 6'10" as standard steel plates were 6'6" wide.

11 hours ago, John Brightley said:

6'6" wide narrowboats weren't uncommon in the 1980's -Coles Morton Marine for example built quite a few.

I was told at the time by them that it was much cheaper to do this than 6'10" as standard steel plates were 6'6" wide.

Not so odd, as 6' 6" is more or less 2m of course.

Tam

• Greenie 1