2LW injector pump spring

routerfixer

Featured Posts

Hi,

I just purchased a narrow boat with a 2LW and it has a niggle or 2. When cold the engine will stall if I dont keep the revs high, a friends 2LW does not have this issue and can idle straight after starting, neither or us are engine mechanics so unsure of the cause. What I did notice yesterday was the spring on the back of the injector pump is stretched, I have ordered a replacement but the manual I have does not have any details on how to change it.

I'm worried that if I do it wrong then bits will fly off.

My friends 2LW also has an oiler flap on the front of the injector pump, I dont have this and apparently I should remove a screw on the front of the pump to fill with oil, question is which one?.

I guess the other important thing is who should I use to do the servicing, I can handle oil changes and air filters but some of the other things in the manual are beyond my knowledge so looking for someone that covers Shropshire/Staffordshire.

Engine: no.123076.

Regards

Steve

IMG_0357.png

The spring should be simple to change, no risk of it flying anywhere as it is under little tension.

See pictures below. In the second picture remove the two small hex head bolts from the back of the pump and take the cover off. This will reveal the spring  with its end over the small rod. Lift off and replace with new spring.

You may find the spring has been stretched to allow operation at lower than normal tickover speed. After replacing it you may need to adjust the governor.

To oil the rack its the slotted head screw on the face of the injection pump (the side away from the engine). Take it out and squirt engine oil in. 

20220815_125613.jpg

20220815_125635.jpg

Gardner-LW-General-Directions rack lube.pdf

When setting the tickover follow the instructions in the manual very carefully. It is set by the flanged nut on the end of the governor housing, not the screws on the throttle lever. The rack buffer (the hex screw as seen in the pic above from Chris) needs to be carefully set as well particularly when the tickover is set to 320 rpm as per the manual..

The spring that is fitted looks like it was for a 6LW where it has to do much more work, I assume that you have ordered this one https://gardnerspares.com/product/spring-rack-bar-2-point/

Where is your boat moored? I may be able to help.

The pictures make it look much simpler than the exploded diagram suggests, should be easy enough to do when the spring gets here.

Yes that is the part I ordered, I grabbed a copy of the manual from there too as mine are all rough photocopies and the pictures are all just solid black blurs.

I'm at Norbury Junction on the Shropshire union.

The previous owner had diesel bug twice and fitted a fuel polisher system to prevent it happening again, he blamed this for the stalling when first started.

I also found a service invoice from 2015 with - Lube rack damper, fuel trigger, excess fuel plunger, element quadrants, etc.. as one of the items but nothing since.

8 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

For future reference, Charles Mills (ex Gardner) is located at Poynton 07712 052 635. Have been using hin for years, very meticulous. And of course Walshes in/near Manchester

Ah yes - this is a Braidbar boat and the engine has Charles number on it, It did not occur to me that he would still be reachable on that number. Time for a phone call.

IMG_0302.png

12 minutes ago, routerfixer said:

Ah yes - this is a Braidbar boat and the engine has Charles number on it, It did not occur to me that he would still be reachable on that number. Time for a phone call.

IMG_0302.png

He'll have loads of info on the engine for you as he rebuilt it 🙂

13 minutes ago, routerfixer said:

Just spoken to Charles, he knows the engine. 

He said the stretched spring is to get a lower tick over and is not the issue.

He is coming to service it next week.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Excellent! Enjoy NB Jack!