CaRT Gateway Meter Macs Electricity Meters

PD1964

Featured Posts

My understanding is that the Meter Macs at the London visitor moorings are independant from the Meter Macs in the rest of the country. You can only get a nationwide works anywhere MeterMacs account if you have a home mooring that has Meter Mac posts. If you do have this you can use your pin number anywhere else. If you CC they won't give you a Meter Macs account no matter how much you try and reason with them that it would be a good and useful thing.

Anyone can get an account for the London VMs but it only works at the London VMs.

The upshot of this is that if you are moored on visitor moorings by a Meter Macs post at for instance West Stockwith, Doncaster, Boston and others I can't think of right now you have to upset the locals (particularly at Boston) by running your engine to charge batteries instead of plugging in.

• Unimpressed 1

Yes that’s why I’m asking, as had to set up as a Visitor, as would not let me set up with “CaRT” even though have a home mooring but not on their list Marina List. Once paid the minimum £10 all I get is London moorings, even though I’m next to the one in Doncaster which is empty and I’ve never seen being used.

Makes no sense, why license payers with a home mooring can’t join the Meter Macs system. 

Because Waterways Moorings is an arm's length company from CRT and is separately managed. At least that was the reason I was given.

But it doesn't cost Waterside Moorings anything to allow other boaters to use the unused mooring bollards at those  sites with Visitor Moorings mixed in. Besides the ones mentioned you have Ocker Hill, Cuckoo Wharf, Engine Arm all in Birmingham. From a maintenance and customer convenience point of view it would make sense to change those electricity bollards that are currently card readers to MeterMacs and give all boaters that wished a MeterMacs account even if they charged an administration fee.

However, if you had a Waterside Mooring and subsequently give it up you retain the MeterMacs account until such time as you decide to close it.

21 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes that’s why I’m asking, as had to set up as a Visitor, as would not let me set up with “CaRT” even though have a home mooring but not on their list Marina List. Once paid the minimum £10 all I get is London moorings, even though I’m next to the one in Doncaster which is empty and I’ve never seen being used.

Makes no sense, why license payers with a home mooring can’t join the Meter Macs system. 

The home mooring has to be a CRT Waterside mooring that also has the MeterMacs installation.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Because Waterways Moorings is an arm's length company from CRT and is separately managed. At least that was the reason I was given.

It's not - see https://www.watersidemooring.com/Home/FAQ - 

Q. Are you still part of the Canal & River Trust?

Yes.  Waterside Mooring is a new name for long term moorings managed directly by the Canal & River Trust.

It's just a facade - helps in deflecting FOI requests; they'll claim that everything is commercially confidential and not part of the statutory business.  This is why they don't publish winning bids or price lists any more....

12 hours ago, DaveP said:

It's not - see https://www.watersidemooring.com/Home/FAQ - 

Q. Are you still part of the Canal & River Trust?

Yes.  Waterside Mooring is a new name for long term moorings managed directly by the Canal & River Trust.

It's just a facade - helps in deflecting FOI requests; they'll claim that everything is commercially confidential and not part of the statutory business.  This is why they don't publish winning bids or price lists any more....

They are part of CRT but are not part of it's statutory functions. Like lots of other activities. Nothing sinister just a fact.