Water Level Information required for GU between Nene and Whilton Marina

Featured Posts

I cruised that way in May when I dropped down onto the Nene. I struggled with the depth in the wooded cutting south of Weedon and on the Northampton flight. Given that there has been little rain since I passed through at the beginning of May, I'm a little nervous about the return leg at the end of this month. My boat draught is 36". I'm looking for information from boaters with similar draughts who have negotiated this route recently. Thanks in advance.

Both our boats, with a similar static draught to yours, have a home mooring in the pound from Stoke Bruerne to Whilton.

Although maybe not quite on weir, it has been at worse 2" to 3" down on our recent visits to the boats.

It was similar when we took both boats to the Braunston gathering at the end of June - no real problems encountered, (other than getting off our home mooring, which has become very silted).

Edited by alan_fincher

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Both our boats, with a similar static draught to yours, have a home mooring in the pound from Stoke Bruerne to Whilton.

Although maybe not quite on weir, it has been at worse 2" to 3" down on our recent visits to the boats.

It was similar when we took both boats to the Braunston gathering at the end of June - no real problems encountered, (other than getting off our home mooring, which has become very silted).

Thanks for that, Alan. I think I remember seeing your boats and wondering how on Earth you managed to get off your mooring. 

6 minutes ago, originalsmoothie said:

Thanks for that, Alan. I think I remember seeing your boats and wondering how on Earth you managed to get off your mooring. 

Funnily enough, although both boats are pretty similar on static draught, it is the short one we have had severe difficulties getting off the mooring. We have had to acquire a Tirfor winch for when things get really difficult!

I suppose any amount of silt can be deposited in front of a short boat, but for a long boat the amount that can get deposited is limited to the difference between boat draught at that point, and the actual canal depth.