Possible decent boat on eBay?

MrsM

Featured Posts

I could be wrong but this might be a reasonable punt for someone. Long overdue blacking but depending on where it's been/how much use it has had it might be ok. London white and no loo but both easily remedied.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334524945321?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=O07TaBhgS9q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_pUp27oIR9u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

On the whole I agree.

Though the Kingfisher engine would not be the choice of many.

Also gas fired central heating only suitable for the very rich, given current pricing of a gas refill.

I have to say eBay is not somewhere I would instinctively look if I wanted to buy a narrow boat.

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have to say eBay is not somewhere I would instinctively look if I wanted to buy a narrow boat.

I'd have to agree, and have never worked out how anyone would get it surveyed.

Apparently once you have won the auction you are the owner and legally required to pay the price you bid / agreed.

I have never seen the option of 'pay a deposit', take a few weeks organising a survey and they pay-up or back out.

I agree that the boat Naughty Cal found looks better. Regarding large purchases through eBay - you are not automatically committed to pay once goods are priced above a certain level. I forget what this amount is. The Duck is a great place to look for boats but that doesn't mean I would rule out any in eBay if I was looking. Over the years we have bought and sold several caravans, a VW Camper and a large 6 berth motorhome all through eBay and all extremely easy and straightforward transactions. 

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Often wondered about the instant gas water heaters - assume they dont heat up at all via the engine, so not so good for frequent/CC'ers?

No reason not to have both (unless it's an air-cooled engine or outboard motor ). We fitted a calorifier at a later stage. Now have both paloma and calorifier and switch between the two when required with a three port L valve. 

Eta. Of course, it helps if you have the space to fit one. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Often wondered about the instant gas water heaters - assume they dont heat up at all via the engine, so not so good for frequent/CC'ers?

Instant gas water heaters are brilliant. You don't have to run the engine and piss off all the boats moored nearby to get hot water.

And despite what people imagine, they only sip the gas. Probably way cheaper on fuel than heating water by running the diesel engine.

• Greenie 4

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

Instant gas water heaters are brilliant. You don't have to run the engine and piss off all the boats moored nearby to get hot water.

And despite what people imagine, they only sip the gas. Probably way cheaper on fuel than heating water by running the diesel engine.

Agreed they are very convenient and 'silent' but there is a downside.

They only heat the water by a certain amount above ambient - the Morco D61 we had only heated to 25 degrees C above ambient so, if the water in your tank is at 5 degrees C your hot water is only 30 degree C, if your cold water is at 10 degrees C your hot water is 35 degrees C if you cold water is at 15 degrees then you hot water will be 40 degrees C

Our Immersion heater (in the calorifier) is set to 80 degrees C (and obviously the engine heats the Calorifier the about the same 80 degrees C.

With a calorifier you have a lot of HOT water that you can 'cool down' by adding cold in the shower, or sink etc. making the 'hot water' go further.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed they are very convenient and 'silent' but there is a downside.

They only heat the water by a certain amount above ambient - the Morco D61 we had only heated to 25 degrees C above ambient so, if the water in your tank is at 5 degrees C your hot water is only 30 degree C, if your cold water is at 10 degrees C your hot water is 35 degrees C if you cold water is at 15 degrees then you hot water will be 40 degrees C

Yes, but the amount above ambient that can be achieved is dependent upon the flow rate.  The numbers you quote are probably those where flow rate is as fast as possible, and the valve that can restrict flow is set to maximum.

If you start to wind it down, the amount that the water is heated above ambient will increase.  Simplistically if you are getting a 25 degree increase at full flow, then restricting the flow to half will double that to 50 degrees above ambient - too much for most purposes.

Generally you can achieve a flow that still gives an adequate shower, but at a decent temperature.

• Greenie 1