Boat Destroyed By Fire At Leighton Buzzard

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Very odd to give the location as Heath and Reach.  The canal surely doesn't go within 2 miles of either.

When the canal is at it's closest to Heath and Reach, it is actually closer to Leighton Buzzard / Linslade, so why not give that as the nearest place?

There’s nothing to say that the owner wasn’t aboard, or that they weren’t the person to raise the alarm. That would be the most likely situation I would think.

However it’s not particularly relevant. Unnecessary comments above in the circumstances.

• Greenie 3

On 13/08/2022 at 12:01, alan_fincher said:

Very odd to give the location as Heath and Reach.  The canal surely doesn't go within 2 miles of either.

When the canal is at it's closest to Heath and Reach, it is actually closer to Leighton Buzzard / Linslade, so why not give that as the nearest place?

Possibly the parish boundaries stray over that way. Boundaries can be quirky...Flintshire (detached) for eg

If the one picture is genuinely of this fire, (it wouldn't b the first time a local paper has simply used a stock image!), then it looks to have been very severe.

I'm genuinely surprised that I can't easily turn up any other article that gives more detail, such as whether it was occupied when the fire started.

Perhaps I'm just not using the best search terms?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

If the one picture is genuinely of this fire, (it wouldn't b the first time a local paper has simply used a stock image!), then it looks to have been very severe.

I'm genuinely surprised that I can't easily turn up any other article that gives more detail, such as whether it was occupied when the fire started.

Usually when a  boat is occupied, the news story mentions the tear-stained owner bemoaning his loss and the fact that they got off safely. Which is why I assumed that the owner was not aboard, or anywhere to be found. And if, of course, the boat wasn't licenced or insured, may not want to be.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The article states that the photo was provided by the fire brigade

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

The article states that the photo was provided by the fire brigade

Quite correct - I missed that.

I still can't find any additional information, though, (other than there have been apparently three boat fires in Leighton Buzzard in as many years).

On 13/08/2022 at 12:01, alan_fincher said:

Yes, that confused me too so I Google Mapped Heath and Reach to look for the nearest bit of canal. I'm guessing it's halfway between The Globe and the three locks? I also think of it as Linslade.  I always think of Heath and Reach as up the hill, out the back of town, (where allotment gardeners congregate to gripe about the wind turbine, and the local woods are weirdly sandy) - and nowhere near the canal. 😃

Edited by BlueStringPudding

2 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

It's one of my favourite. Especially out in the sticks, (where this fire took place). 

Can accept that, maybe at a different time with different experiences I might of held a different view. I've had the opposite on returning to locations I've previously enjoyed only to be a bit disappointed.

• Greenie 1