Another from the mid 70’s

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

I remember seeing that several years ago. Hugh's table cupboard is remarkably tidy - and actually using a Measham teapot to make tea  😁

Cael Lane's face is a treat as he watches them.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

So what became of Parry II?

The Waterways Trust nominated it for disposal in 2009, along with any other boats.

I'm guessing it was probably in poor condition, and quite likely did nor survive.  Anybody know?

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So what became of Parry II?

The Waterways Trust nominated it for disposal in 2009, along with any other boats.

I'm guessing it was probably in poor condition, and quite likely did nor survive.  Anybody know?

More to the point, what happened to that wonderful Bolinder in there?!

And I notice the old chap at the end refers to his windlass as a "lock handle". 

Also winding the hydraulic paddle gear still makes a clicking noise in the film.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

This popped up on my YouTube, thought i’d share

Lovely 🙂

Quite a brave jump onto the boat at 5:30 for a TV presenter -- but I suppose those were the days when John Noakes got up to lots of far riskier antics... 😉

I remember a younger Hugh McKnight when he used to sit on the bank below Uxbridge Lock bridge, opposite our mooring , photographing boats. I remember him taking this iconic photo or Roger and Raymond being steered by Rose Bray and Ernie Kendall. They always turned obligingly towards the photographer.

image.png.a43bf119577bd787d308af5989164696.png

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, MtB said:

More to the point, what happened to that wonderful Bolinder in there?!

And I notice the old chap at the end refers to his windlass as a "lock handle". 

Also winding the hydraulic paddle gear still makes a clicking noise in the film.

I believe PARRY II deteriorated quite badly, in fact, it was described as "dilapidated" At Ellesmere Port in 2014.

The engine I believe was a Seffle. Same performance starting as a Bolinder. A lovely little boat at one time.

Edited by Derek R.

15 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I believe PARRY II deteriorated quite badly, in fact, it was described as "dilapidated" At Ellesmere Port in 2014.

The engine I believe was a Seffle. Same performance starting as a Bolinder. A lovely little boat at one time.

I couldn't decide, then watching the video I heard it miss a beat so thought perhaps a Bolly. 

Parry 2 had already deteriorated considerably before Hugh “gifted” it to the Boat Museum and it looks like the engine had already been removed.  Although the Boat Museum is deservedly criticised, several wooden boats ended up there because their owners could no longer cope with them and there was no magic money pot to rescue them.

Picture taken at the stink’ole at Harefield late  ‘70s.

Paul

26-B3-CF20-98-E9-449-D-AB42-C5-E3-E78418

31 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Is this Poacher?

Yes they were off to Dayton Manor theme park where  they went every year when Ernie’s son was young. Not sure what Arthur made of it but they boated as before and had fixed stopping places.

11 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Can you confirm it is a Seffle and what condition it is in?

Also - any knowledge of the boat itself?

Yes the engine is a Seffle 8hp. Yes it is in good condition.

When it came out of Parry II it went in to the Cowburn and Cowpar motor Starling when it was shortened and later removed when the boat was restored

Glad something was saved. Hugh's level of maintenance had something to be desired.

7 hours ago, Paul H said:

Parry 2 had already deteriorated considerably before Hugh “gifted” it to the Boat Museum and it looks like the engine had already been removed.  Although the Boat Museum is deservedly criticised, several wooden boats ended up there because their owners could no longer cope with them and there was no magic money pot to rescue them.

Picture taken at the stink’ole at Harefield late  ‘70s.

Paul

26-B3-CF20-98-E9-449-D-AB42-C5-E3-E78418

If that's how it was in the '70's, I can't imagine what Ellesmere Ports description as at 2014 of "dilapidated" might be.