More paint questions

Featured Posts

How do you do them diamond patterns?

I’m not planning on doing any but it puzzles me how they are done. 
The patterns on mast heads and cratch boards. 

I did consider putting some diamonds back in around the bow but couldn’t work out the best way of doing it. 
I’m happy anyway with just a circle which I drew by going around a used cutting disk and then simply painted freehand. 

Let’s say there are four colours to do on a mast head. I can’t see how you do more than one colour at a time and then have to wait til next day before the next colour. 

I’m thinking you’d draw the lines, then tape off the sections you want to paint. 
But you’d be left with very little you could paint each time. 
Does that make sense?

Taking into account you can’t rush because each layer of paint has to dry enough to allow the next layer of tape over the top. So, to sum up, it sounds like a very long winded job. 

Or am I missing something?

Edited by Goliath
Tried to make sense of what I wrote

I used to paint diamonds freehand using the lightest colour, usually white or cream as the base all over colour then adding colours in descending depth. Yellow next, then red and finally blue or green. Any slight gaps are covered with a thin black line that picks them all out. These days I usually use low tack signwriting tape, one colour at a time, then adding a black outline if required. I try to proportion each diamond where the width is half of the length. That’s fine on cabin top diamonds, any part ones finishing by the slide where they won’t be noticed, on other areas such as bow flashes, that may require some adaptation. In the main…” If it looks right, it is right “

Right, I did think you’d start with the lightest colour. 

Simply put, the expert won’t need to tape off because with the skill they have they will make good when they paint through with a thin black line. 

But there are patterns where there is no black line, so this must be a real ball ache to do. 

Personally I like to see the evidence of a brush, or the hand. 

So, going back to traditional ways of working, when I guess jobs had to be done quick, how long would it take to paint a mast head?

And I guess you wouldn’t have been given one to do but would have a list of jobs to do

Edited by Goliath

23 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Do you mean the box mast found on working boats? I’m not sure what a mast head, on its own, is. And yes, I’m normally in a situation where I can do a bit somewhere then move on to something else. 

Yeah sorry, me terminology is a bit lacking. 
I think I mean where the towing line went from. 

and I wasn’t  necessarily talking about your situation now but a general idea of painters back when working  boats would come in for a blacking and a touch up. 
I guess it’d be done quick and get the boats back in the water as soon as to earn money.