Jump to content

Boat Mover Middlewich Wharf, CW10 9BD to Rotherham & Sheffield Canal Association, S60 1AB


richey b
 Share

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

 

I've recently bought a 59 foot narrowboat and I'm looking for a boat mover to move it from Middlewich Wharf, CW10 9BD to Rotherham & Sheffield Canal Association, S60 1AB. Can I ask if there are any that you guys would recommend for me that would do this trip please along with their prices or just their info and I would enquire. Or if there are any boat movers here could you either comment or DM me with a quote please ?

 

Thanks all for your help in advance. 

 

Richard 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the present drought situation you would be better to get it trucked. There are lots of ongoing restrictions at locks all the way.

You could get a lift out at Wincham Wharf on the T&M not far from Middlewich.  Don't know the Sheffield end well enough to advise.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would also likely be cheaper to get it moved by truck and craned in/out each end. Middlewich to Rotherham is many days by boat, even going at the dawn to dusk pace that professional boat movers do. That time costs money, 'cause boat movers like to eat food, sleep under a roof and be warm in winter (this winter pick your favourite two at most), so their pay soon adds up. Compare that with a days time for a lorry and driver, plus two sets of lifting. For longer trips, the sums only go one way. Canalplan.org.uk says 84 hours for this trip. Assuming no delays, stoppages, water shortages, Those 84 hours will be over 10 to 12 days, possibly more, as the tidal section of the river Trent will only be navigable on an ebb tide. Vazon Sliding Rail Bridge at Keadby has limited opening hours. You'll be paying a boat mover while they are twiddling their thumbs waiting.

Stanilands Marina in Thorne crane in regularly and are probably the closest to Rotherham that are likely to do it. About a days cruise from there.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you both for your 

36 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It would also likely be cheaper to get it moved by truck and craned in/out each end. Middlewich to Rotherham is many days by boat, even going at the dawn to dusk pace that professional boat movers do. That time costs money, 'cause boat movers like to eat food, sleep under a roof and be warm in winter (this winter pick your favourite two at most), so their pay soon adds up. Compare that with a days time for a lorry and driver, plus two sets of lifting. For longer trips, the sums only go one way. Canalplan.org.uk says 84 hours for this trip. Assuming no delays, stoppages, water shortages, Those 84 hours will be over 10 to 12 days, possibly more, as the tidal section of the river Trent will only be navigable on an ebb tide. Vazon Sliding Rail Bridge at Keadby has limited opening hours. You'll be paying a boat mover while they are twiddling their thumbs waiting.

Stanilands Marina in Thorne crane in regularly and are probably the closest to Rotherham that are likely to do it. About a days cruise from there.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

 

Thank you for the advice and the nice welcome it nice to be here. :D

 

54 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

In the present drought situation you would be better to get it trucked. There are lots of ongoing restrictions at locks all the way.

You could get a lift out at Wincham Wharf on the T&M not far from Middlewich.  Don't know the Sheffield end well enough to advise.

Thanks for the Advice i think ill look into it :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Richard,

As others have made the point , its not easy at the moment.  There is a route open * at the moment*- albeit a slightly longer one although it doesnt actually add too much as it actually reduces the number of locks travelled through.

Whether or not it would be cheaper to go by lorry I couldnt say but I would be suprised if it were on a trip this length- your main consideration would be its alot more guaranteed to arrive on schedule at the moment by lorry 😀

You need to make more posts in order to make PMs. 

If you would like more info feel free to contact me- contact info on http://narrowboatmover.co.uk/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take it your going to Ickles lock boat club, when do yo want it moved?  Soonest?

 As they say lots of delays along the T&M, a few places to crane in around Thorne, nothing from Ickles to Sheffield. Easy run from Thorne area to Ickles. 

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard

Just a quick query... I'm wanting to check you have the right place you are asking for the boat to be moved to as I'm the secretary of the Rotherham and Sheffield Canal Association that you are asking for the boat moving to, and we don't have any vacancies for boats at the moment. 

 

We also have a waiting list of people wanting to bring boats here as and when any vacancies should arise. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2022 at 16:20, richey b said:

I've recently bought a 59 foot narrowboat and I'm looking for a boat mover to move it from Middlewich Wharf, CW10 9BD to Rotherham & Sheffield Canal Association, S60 1AB.

 

 

35 minutes ago, Winging It said:

Just a quick query... I'm wanting to check you have the right place you are asking for the boat to be moved to as I'm the secretary of the Rotherham and Sheffield Canal Association that you are asking for the boat moving to, and we don't have any vacancies for boats at the moment. 

 

We also have a waiting list of people wanting to bring boats here as and when any vacancies should arise. 

 

 

Oooooooops !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Winging It said:

Hi Richard

Just a quick query... I'm wanting to check you have the right place you are asking for the boat to be moved to as I'm the secretary of the Rotherham and Sheffield Canal Association that you are asking for the boat moving to, and we don't have any vacancies for boats at the moment. 

 

We also have a waiting list of people wanting to bring boats here as and when any vacancies should arise. 

 

 

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

 

 

Oooooooops !

Yes I passed yesterday and it looked full, no room at the Inn so to speak 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

 

Yes I passed yesterday and it looked full, no room at the Inn so to speak 

Everywhere is full, maybe he can get on the visitor moorings at Eastwood 😂

 Have a good week in Sheffield👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Everywhere is full, maybe he can get on the visitor moorings at Eastwood 😂

 Have a good week in Sheffield👍

Will do, here until Tuesday then going to Don Valley moorings for a few days to treat the wheelhouse. Then back to Sheffield for next weekend, the daughter is back from New Orleans and is doing a burlesque show in the commercial 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.