Brightening Up Interiors

Laura Bett

Featured Posts

Water based has some advantages (faster drying and easier clean up mainly). The only system I've found that works well is Tikkurila Everal, but they are getting better in general.  Much better than 5 years ago... 

(I do vaguely paint related things for a living and have painted my boat in it) 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Remember its best to paint it white, you may want to sell it later to someone in London.

Or anywhere blurry-well-else, as far as I can see...

My boat is tastefully finished in real  solid oak, best  quality upholstery  for bouncing on, impeccable machanics (but who understands that) middling price - but nobody looks at it 'cos its not WHITE

My Liverpool boat has dark stained tongue and groove on the roof and cabin sides - stripping back and refinishing part of it didn’t get it light enough for my liking, I kept wood on the sides though. Used 2 coats of Zinsser BIN to seal it, followed by 3 coats of Dulux kitchen and bathroom paint. 

Zinsser is solvent based and will destroy foam rollers designed for water based paints, make sure you get the correct ones or you’ll end up with bits of foam stuck to the finish. It also dries very fast as the solvent evaporates, add a bit of meths if you’re doing it in a hot boat. 

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Or anywhere blurry-well-else, as far as I can see...

My boat is tastefully finished in real  solid oak, best  quality upholstery  for bouncing on, impeccable machanics (but who understands that) middling price - but nobody looks at it 'cos its not WHITE

Get in there with your paintbrush😱

I will hit the same problem in a couple of years, might Photoshop the pictures just to get people interested🤔

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Get in there with your paintbrush😱

I will hit the same problem in a couple of years, might Photoshop the pictures just to get people interested🤔

AH, but, yes, but - having spent hours carefully selecting the best planks from a pile,

machining said planks to get the finest possible finish,

Carefully machining the tougue and grooves,

Varnishing the planks with the best quality varnish to seal all surfaces,

I'm not in the best state of mind to cover all that hard work to cover all that with a coat of worst trade white paint...

A chap has his stabdards doncha know........

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

AH, but, yes, but - having spent hours carefully selecting the best planks from a pile,

machining said planks to get the finest possible finish,

Carefully machining the tougue and grooves,

Varnishing the planks with the best quality varnish to seal all surfaces,

I'm not in the best state of mind to cover all that hard work to cover all that with a coat of worst trade white paint...

A chap has his stabdards doncha know........

I totally agree hence Photoshop is your friend

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

I totally agree hence Photoshop is your friend

Don’t forget to add the cloudy not-enough-coats finish and remove paint from the grooves, corners and crevices. And randomly blob some extra on fixtures and fittings you couldn’t be bothered to unscrew to give it that authentic bodged DIY look that makes you want to have a wash just from looking at it ;) 

• Haha 1