Widebeam Cruising Ground: North or South?

gpspadi

Featured Posts

I run an online business which can be run from any location. I need a widebeam of any size between 10'X57'  and 60'x12' to accommodate my levels of sales stock. I cant leave stock in a van or use a central storage location. The stock has to travel with me.

I will be cruising rather than marina based, but would likely be in a marina for a couple of month's each year at most. Which ever area I decide to use, I will also hope to use the local river system.

As I can run my business from any location on the network, North or South I am interested in peoples opinions of which half of the North South divide is the best cruising ground for widebeams in terms of scenery, ease of use, overcrowding, amenities etc

I did use the search button, but most results are about moving between north and south, with no opinions of which is best, although I am aware the the north is slightly larger.

Thankyou in advance, this really is a gold mine of information and sometimes banter:)

North. Built from the start with wide beam craft in mind. Less crowded. Shorten your max length to 57' for maximum options. Moorings for the winter generally cheaper. Boat yards and blacking generally cheaper.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Will most of your sales be to "off-canal" customers?

If yes then the North is definitely your best bet, but if no there are a lot more potential "on-canal" customers in the South -- in other words, these canals are much more crowded...

I would deffo go north. Whilst the south, Thames etc is lovely it is busy and there isnt much else. The GU and K and A etc are realy only suitable for tiny craft such as narrowboats. The Trent from south of Nottingham right oop norff and such as the A and C and adjoining waterways are vastly superior regards depth, width and area for proper sized boats. As others have said there are plenty of moorings to be had when needed. 

1 hour ago, gpspadi said:

I run an online business which can be run from any location. I need a widebeam of any size between 10'X57'  and 60'x12' to accommodate my levels of sales stock. I cant leave stock in a van or use a central storage location. The stock has to travel with me.

I will be cruising rather than marina based, but would likely be in a marina for a couple of month's each year at most.

You will need to be careful about operating a business from a marina - Most marinas will not allow it, some business (such as say - web designers) are easy to 'hide' but others where you will have physical goods coming and going, and maybe couriers regularly coming to the marina office asking for "GP Spadi" will soon start questions being asked with the likelyhood of you being evicted.

Will you also have a vehicle to take / deliver your stock or will you be relying on couriers ?

As a marina mooring 'renter' you have absolutely no security of tenure and can be evicted at a moments notice and on a 'whim'. So always ensure you have a Plan-B which can be activated with a few minures notice.

Brilliant, thankyou for all your reply's. It looks like the North is winning so far.

As for staying in a marina, I can suspend trading as required. I would only be in a marina during times when I went off abroad or ill health type emergency's.

I am not GP Spadi, I am an old PADI instructor who used to get lost an awful lot of the time due to drugs and alcohol and ended up with the name GPS:)

Cheer's all:)

On 10/08/2022 at 19:57, Scholar Gypsy said:

Don't forget the Eastern waterways (though you can get to the North by crossing the Wash)

Anglian waterways are not ideal for CC especially in winter. Great place to visit🤔