Gold licence on the cart website doesn't seem to have to start in January?

jupiter1124

Featured Posts

Just took a look at my boat licensing and saw there was an option to upgrade to Gold that I don't remember seeing before.

I then did a quotation and it seemed like I can start my gold licence in any month now. Used to be that it had to be January to December, and the Anglian Pass from April to March, which is a bit annoying given that the cart licence can be any time.

My licence expires end of September and I was thinking of going gold next year to do the Nene, MLN and Anglian Ouse & tributaries. But to do that AFAIK I have to buy a normal licence from Oct 2022 to Sept 2023, then in January, upgrading to a Gold, whereupon my licence would run for the calendar year, and I would be refunded the 9 unused months from my cart licence (75% of the price I paid). That was how I understood it anyway.

I wanted to wait for the new year so I can benefit from the full 12 months of EA licensing, in the hopes i'll get to the Thames as well next year. But if I can buy a gold licence for 12 months starting in April, I'd rather do that so that I can time it with the Anglian Pass and start my adventure east in Spring rather than the dead of winter.

Has something changed with the timing of gold licences??

This is only available for your first gold licence.after that it's jan-dec as before.  I had enormous problems with the online system and phone assistance as i was trying to upgrade from a standard licence to gold (backdated to jan as i've had one before) and the online system was ignoring my online/full payment discounts.  Took intervention from licensing support people to convince the issuing people that they'd got yet another example of their 'special and unique' software in public service.

Edited by DaveP
Spooling

16 minutes ago, DaveP said:

This is only available for your first gold licence.after that it's jan-dec as before.

Interesting, is this new?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I am not sure that makes sense.

So I could buy a September-August gold licence this year, but next September I would not be able to renew it, instead having to wait for January?

Just now, jupiter1124 said:

Interesting, is this new?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I am not sure that makes sense.

So I could buy a September-August gold licence this year, but next September I would not be able to renew it, instead having to wait for January?

No, you'd be buying a sep-dec gold licence this year, then be on a january renewal in following years.  If you switched back to a standard licence in a subsequent years, then if you wanted a gold licence again, you'd have it backdated (if necessary) to january.

13 minutes ago, DaveP said:

No, you'd be buying a sep-dec gold licence this year, then be on a january renewal in following years.  If you switched back to a standard licence in a subsequent years, then if you wanted a gold licence again, you'd have it backdated (if necessary) to january.

I don't think that's right? Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

My understanding was that in any given year that you want a gold licence, you are still buying a jan-dec licence (the previous jan), meaning that you still pay full price for the year.

If e.g. you just wanted a gold licence for the month of December, you would still be paying for 12 months of gold licence, but only getting 1 month of benefit.

Is this wrong?

That's great to know, thanks! And is it a monthly pro-rata - in other words, is it the same price per month as if I bought a full year?

It seems a bit of a loophole, because if you only want a 3 month excursion onto EA waters, go in September and you get a massive discount.

'fraid I don't know about the details of the part-year costs as I'm not eligible.  I suggest you log into te crt licensing site and have a play around.

Edited by DaveP

DSCN9107s.jpg.2121fd46662662b871539ccf47206953.jpgUp to and including 2020, everyone who had ever had a Gold licence renewed in January (until boat sold, or taken out of the water for months, or moored on the Middle Level for a while or ...). Anyway that's lots of boaters.

The AccursedVirus extended all licences by a month, so these all renewed in Feb2021 - maybe not too much of a problem for 2021 as AV was still limiting boating aspirations for 2021 (?) This year many more boats would need one-month refunds for their 2022 licences, which is an admin hassle for everybody. So there is a special arrangement ...

If that's what has actually happened, then my lucky guesswork has been right for once ... 🙂

I don't believe that Gold licence holders received the extra month.  This because the EA did not give an extra month, only CRT, so it was 'too difficult'. 

Also, I am inclined to think that the changeover process has not been amended.  So, for example, if you apply for a Thames Gold licence during the year, you buy a new Gold licence for the full calendar year but can claim a refund of full unused months on your CRT licence. 

21 hours ago, jupiter1124 said:

My licence expires end of September and I was thinking of going gold next year to do the Nene, MLN and Anglian Ouse & tributaries. But to do that AFAIK I have to buy a normal licence from Oct 2022 to Sept 2023, then in January, upgrading to a Gold, whereupon my licence would run for the calendar year, and I would be refunded the 9 unused months from my cart licence (75% of the price I paid). That was how I understood it anyway.

Not answering the question, but you may find this helpful for other aspects of planning your trip!

https://goba.org.uk/a-guide-for-visitors-to-the-east/

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, PeterScott said:

DSCN9107s.jpg.2121fd46662662b871539ccf47206953.jpgUp to and including 2020, everyone who had ever had a Gold licence renewed in January (until boat sold, or taken out of the water for months, or moored on the Middle Level for a while or ...). Anyway that's lots of boaters.

The AccursedVirus extended all licences by a month, so these all renewed in Feb2021 - maybe not too much of a problem for 2021 as AV was still limiting boating aspirations for 2021 (?) This year many more boats would need one-month refunds for their 2022 licences, which is an admin hassle for everybody. So there is a special arrangement ...

If that's what has actually happened, then my lucky guesswork has been right for once ... 🙂

If you had a Gold licence you did not get a free month for COVID, so ours still renews in Jan.

On 10/08/2022 at 07:01, jupiter1124 said:

I did a bit, but I don't actually want to take the step to buy it and I'm worried I might click too far / click the wrong thing. Read through their gold licence terms but it didn't really explain the part year situation.

You're probably safe up until the point where you enter your card details...

On 10/08/2022 at 19:49, john6767 said:

If you had a Gold licence you did not get a free month for COVID, so ours still renews in Jan.

Yes, that's interesting. Our Gold licence was a few years ago, and we decide each year whether we need another. Next time we will need the faff of moving the renewal date to January again ...

11 hours ago, Lady C said:

The Gold Licence information on the first page of the gold boat licence fee document clearly states, under 'When is it available?', all Gold Licences run from 1st January to 31st December. 

Also, if you read the licence fee document in full, it does explain how to claim a refund of an unused months of your CRT licence.