quick paint question !!

Featured Posts

im painting my roof at the moment and its getting hot quickly in the day ...  ive just prepped and painted the roof yesterday in red oxide and today want to get first coat of raddle red on asap...  can i just paint first coat straight on the red oxide or will i need to sand the roof first?  thanks again

I'm not sure, if a very light, fine sanding will work I suppose it would be better, but you need to remove dust with clean lint free cloth. Is there anything on the data sheets?

Personally I would get on and get one coat on before it's too hot, repeat the dose next day, but be sure the temperature is not too low early morning.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, crosser said:

im painting my roof at the moment and its getting hot quickly in the day ...  ive just prepped and painted the roof yesterday in red oxide and today want to get first coat of raddle red on asap...  can i just paint first coat straight on the red oxide or will i need to sand the roof first?  thanks again

I would err on the side of caution and give it a quick sanding. Only hand sanding to key up. It's been hot, the curing would be accelerated. If it hadn't been so hot, I would have painted straight on to the previous paint; it would have been possible for the new paint to bond, by softening the previous layer. As it is, I'd suggest a mechanical bonding would be worth it, by scratching (keying up) the previous layer. 

Edited by Higgs

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Move boat to light shade?

I'm searching for a spot to paint my roof, and it doesn't matter where I prep the roof, but in painting it, I'm looking for as little vegetation and overhanging stuff as possible. 

23 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I'm searching for a spot to paint my roof, and it doesn't matter where I prep the roof, but in painting it, I'm looking for as little vegetation and overhanging stuff as possible. 

I agree, and if possible not by a big gap in the hedge so the wind can blow stuff onto the roof.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree, and if possible not by a big gap in the hedge so the wind can blow stuff onto the roof.

I'm resigned to lowering my expectation of what is possible to achieve in the open. But it will preserve the metal and get rid of the rusty rashes. I'm pressed to get it done, in order to install the solar panels permanently. 

• Greenie 1

My experience is that at this time of year it is up soon after and a soon as the sun starts to come up leather off (dew) and lightly flat the surface, even wet flat the surface and wash & leather off. Once you are sure the dew has stopped forming and the roof/panel is dry apply one coat of paint, I found I would be starting to pant soon after 7am and completed one side by 8 to 9, depending on the amount of cutting in etc. That way I found the flies had not yet got warm enough to be a major problem and you often get a period with minimal wind early in the morning. The cooler temperatures will make it easier to lay off and keep a wet edge. All done by 9 so breakfast and out for the day to try to keep cool and let it dry.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

My experience is that at this time of year it is up soon after and a soon as the sun starts to come up leather off (dew) and lightly flat the surface, even wet flat the surface and wash & leather off. Once you are sure the dew has stopped forming and the roof/panel is dry apply one coat of paint, I found I would be starting to pant soon after 7am and completed one side by 8 to 9, depending on the amount of cutting in etc. That way I found the flies had not yet got warm enough to be a major problem and you often get a period with minimal wind early in the morning. The cooler temperatures will make it easier to lay off and keep a wet edge. All done by 9 so breakfast and out for the day to try to keep cool and let it dry.

I wouldn't start to worry about flies and things until the final coat. All can be flat back, before that last coat. It wouldn't go amiss, to at least try to avoid those unwanted wreckers of a paint job.

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Any motorway bridges nearby?

A bit dull and drafty, for my liking. But in an emergency, would think about taking cover. 

I have been fiberglassing the wheelhouse roof for the last week, I have been working early or late, at 10 it's to hot and before 7 at night it's still to hot.20 degrees is the ideal temperature with no direct sunlight. 

It makes the job longer than you want, but better that than waste or a possible fire!

What Tony says is exactly how I painted my narrowboat to a great result, Cris further down has done exactly the same 3 coats over 3 days and it's a glass like finish, patience is a virtue with jobs like these 

Edited by peterboat

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have been fiberglassing the wheelhouse roof for the last week, I have been working early or late, at 10 it's to hot and before 7 at night it's still to hot.20 degrees is the ideal temperature with no direct sunlight. 

It makes the job longer than you want, but better that than waste or a possible fire!

What Tony says is exactly how I painted my narrowboat to a great result, Cris further down has done exactly the same 3 coats over 3 days and it's a glass like finish, patience is a virtue with jobs like these 

Even when I had a polly-tunnel to work in, I must have been alone in wanting a cloudy day every day at work. 

1 hour ago, STIG said:

On this subject of paint : does anyone have a replacement idea for the black satin gunwhale paint that used to be Andy Russel or 3p

Dont know where you are in the country but Droitwich Spa Marina sells this as an "own brand" (they started getting it made after they could no longer buy it from their normal suppliers). Don't know who makes it for them, but I've used it over the last two years and am very happy with it.

On 09/08/2022 at 15:57, Awayonmyboat said:

Dont know where you are in the country but Droitwich Spa Marina sells this as an "own brand" (they started getting it made after they could no longer buy it from their normal suppliers). Don't know who makes it for them, but I've used it over the last two years and am very happy with it.

I believe bought their last ever tin of Andy Russell Gunwale Black at 50 quid a wee while back. No wonder Nick thought there might be an opening...!

On 09/08/2022 at 08:13, crosser said:

For most compatible single part paints the basic rule of thumb is if you can get the next coat of paint on within 3 days you don't need to key the paintwork you've already done. I'm just talking about keying for good adhesion of the next coat, not paint finish. 

Another paint mantra is primer/undercoat/topcoat. Red oxide is a primer so if you paint your topcoats directly onto your primer you may find it doesn't stick very well even if it's keyed. However, I don't know about red oxide and raddle red, they may work very well together, others can advise. 

On 09/08/2022 at 08:13, crosser said:

it’s been taking me the whole summer to paint my cabin top 😂

I do it in sections. 

Because I take so long, the paint has cured proper between coats so I always scratch back before painting a section to be sure before putting another coat on. 

When I get around to the final final coat it’ll be September and the weather may have cooled and I’ll do it in one hit. 
(I)Never use masking tape, just cut in everywhere with the brush, nice bead of paint around where the vents or whatever meet the top. 
I find the prep, cleaning, sanding and wire brushing by hand takes all the time and I get fed up. So I boat instead. 

This year I’m using Johnstone’s paint (love their paint) instead of floor paint. Going for a shiny look this season. 

Good luck with yours 👍

(I messed up this year, painted down one side and finished a pot of red off, went and bought another pot and got the wrong red 🙄 hey Ho. More layers the better (but always scratch between each layer))