NB Bingley

Tacet

Featured Posts

I picked up this photograph some time back - and can no longer recall where!

It has been hand tinted - so presumably the boat was in British Waterways colours and not as shown.  Is it likely to be from the 1950s?  Looks to be on the southern GU to me - but I have not considered exactly where; it is good to see both top gates open and the paddles drawn as the boats leave the lock.

220808 Bingley.jpg

Yes, Dudswell Bottom Lock.

The tinting is pretty appalling - bits of boat that should be blue are instead green.

It looks like the final version of the BWB carrying boat livery - all blue, no yellow banding - only the lettering - hence probably late 1950s, or any date thereafter up to 1963.

Edited by alan_fincher

This popped up on the forum in 2011. Can't find the video clip just now.

The house to the right of the lock was used by Midland Counties Ice Cream in a shot involving a family outing in a Morris Minor, where 'Father' gets out and makes ice cream purchases. No boats were seen then (perish the thought!).

Was the shed like structure used by a blacksmith at one time? Certainly the old stable block beyond housed horses (animals) in previous generations. It was being demolished at one point, but I believe stopped part way through, then got rebuilt as living accommodation, which it probably still is. Water deep enough outside to get right into the bank (well, it was in the eighties.)

Edited to add link:

https://tinyurl.com/55p2ftk9

(Oct 2008)

Edited by Derek R.

In about 1972 as I recall, with a slightly extended cabin and paired with Towcester. The bottom was rather shot, and we sold her when we bought Stamford and Bude from BWB in 1974. I changed our colours to red and blue with off-white lining in Jubilee year 1977.

Tam

1120204285_02314copy.jpg.1a3a5d2af4ba40650b14925de1a0b687.jpg

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

In about 1972 as I recall, with a slightly extended cabin and paired with Towcester. The bottom was rather shot, and we sold her when we bought Stamford and Bude from BWB in 1974. I changed our colours to red and blue with off-white lining in Jubilee year 1977.

Tam

1120204285_02314copy.jpg.1a3a5d2af4ba40650b14925de1a0b687.jpg

Always smart - a credit to you, Tam.

I can't be 100% certain, but I don't think we used Bingley for that. (I've not got any notes here in France to refresh my ailing memory)

When we first started, working directly for BW, we had motor Towcester but hired butty Hyades from Martin Toms. BW were retiring their craft as they needed a lot of maintenance. Ashby Canal Transport took on the limejuice contract from BW and they were going to use Threefellows for the job. Threefellows couldn't get down in time and we continued for the next year, but we'd already got Stamford and Bude by that time and this photo at Lock 80 by Dougie Jones is from that time. Threefellows then got a gravel job and we came back for the Rose's work until the end in 1981 when the Roses factory at Hemel closed.

Thank you Alan for you kind comment about the state of our boats - you'll just have to ignore the unpolished brass on Towcester and dirty ropework on Bude here  😃

Tam

1435895593_01dcopy.jpg.dc99c6355a1de143f1f5f2d265fd57db.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

46 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

................but we'd already got Stamford and Bude by that time and this photo at Lock 80 by Dougie Jones is from that time.......

Was this the owner of Mimas & Rae?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Current HNBC link for Bingley, though I don,'t know how up to date it is.

There certainly is a very similar butty with no name still moored there.  Always wondered which one it was when we've passed it over the last few years.

Edited to add the image below, taken July 2021.

image.jpeg.a798c45a1d194bf36ffcb994ee6cd193.jpeg

Edited by IanM

14 minutes ago, IanM said:

There certainly is a very similar butty with no name still moored there.  Always wondered which one it was when we've passed it over the last few years.

Edited to add the image below, taken July 2021.

image.jpeg.a798c45a1d194bf36ffcb994ee6cd193.jpeg

Looks fairly convincing to me.....

....but now awaits an expert to tell me that isn't Bingley

(Should have been paired  with a motor called Bradford).

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Looks fairly convincing to me.....

....but now awaits an expert to tell me that isn't Bingley

(Should have been paired  with a motor called Bradford).

Well, as the true expert (the owner) is on holiday, I'll tell you it is indeed Bingley.

• Greenie 1

Having just written a memorial piece about Sam Yates, who did a very similar job at Hodson's boatyard at Whitebirk, I would suggest that most craftsmen were usually satisfied with the work they, as they would recognise the restrictions they were working under. Doing your best was always an important part of the job. At the same time, Sam was a very personal person, and always surprised when anyone took an interest in the skills he had learnt over the years, and that reticence could be interpreted by some as being unsatisfied.