New write up.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

I've a few new pages coming soon........not before time I hear a lot of you cry.

I've done most of the writeup........just got to make/put it on the web pages.

Meanwhile I've added the latest photos to the Kyme album, if you'd like to take a look.

Must say it's brilliant having your own 'private' waterway, even if it is accessable for only a few short weeks of the year.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/561122761aFtpgL

Edited out due to the stupid quirk of taking all paragraph breaks, sentence breaks out when 2 posts are added together.

I'll ad the next bit below if/after someone else has posted, so breaking the two up.

Edited by Supermalc

As I'm sure you know, if you post 2 items they join up as one. Sadly, all paragraph breaks, sentences are lost. This is down to Mr Bill Gates making us use his system to use the internet.

As I'm sure you are aware he is he richest man in the world, so it CANNOT be wrong, therefore :wub::):wub::)

I'll post the first part again........I did say it was a ROUGH draft didn't I......still requires much work, and is unfinished. Although I have said I had a poor education, I did in fact go to skewl, and in fact got a GCE english pass.

Anyway, you've had a good few minutes worth of entertainment just looking at the photos I'm sure.

Any questions regarding the trips can be answered by reading my boating pages already on my website.

The next noteworthy event was the Dawncraft BBQ. I travelled by car this time, 50 miles in 50 minutes, without breaking the speed limit. Bit of a change from 3 long days on the boat.

We all had a good time, met some new friends, and I had taken the guitar, along with a CD to sing along to and the words. Well other than a quick session with Roger at the car, it was the worst sing song I’ve ever known. Roger had to leave, as he’d ridden almost 100 miles on his Norton Chop he built in the 70s. So no one sang, and to make matters worse, a video was made and put on the net. Now I don’t mind, but would like it if my ‘claim to fame’ was not to have the worst music video on the internet. I have made ammends to some extent, even going to the trouble of buying a webcam, but couldn’t get it to work.

And then it rained, the worst in living memory for June and July. So the river was in flood for over 2 weeks.

Make sure you check out the photos I took

This put paid to my boating for several weeks, however it did have one advantage in that it washed the weed away, which was as bad as I’ve seen it, and could have seriously hindered boating if it has been allowed to grow unchecked.

My boat was safely moored on the visitors floating pontoon at Bardney, but the boats on the fixed finger moorings were not. One sank when the legs were caught under the rail by the bank, however my friend Roy has been after this boat for years, and it is now cheap enough. He finally bought it last week, at the end of October.

When I saw all the water flowing through Lincoln, I phoned a friend with a boat moored at Bardney. He said he had just come back from wading almost up to his waist to visit his boat. The water was above the finger moorings, and he had tied a few together to stop them sustaining damage, or even sinking when the water receded, but the cold had beaten him. I said I would join him and help with the rest the next day, so went down early, as he had to get back to work. I arrived around 7.15am and leaving my car on the high ground at the bridge, waded through the water in jeans and trainers. I had brought some dry clothes, and my new waders and wellies were on my boat.

I helped Martin to tie all the boats together that were over the fingers, about 10 in all I think, then waded down to Wud, where I collected my wellies and waders. Making my way very carefully back along the moorings, I got back to the car and got dried and changed. Donned in wellies and waders I thought I would go back and take some pictures, but when I got near to the lock, the water had started to flow. There was a real danger of my being swept off my feet, so I returned on the footpath, the highest part to walk back. Others had arrived, and I asked someone to take a photo, then went to the car and drove to Bardney Road Bridge, where I walked back along the cycle track to take the pictures.

Little did I realise, but the safest you can be wading through water is shorts and sandels, or trainers. There was a tragedy over this period when an elderly man went to check his boat at Torksey. He had been told it was all right, and there was no need, but he insisted. Somehow he somehow fell out of the dingy, and was wearing chest waders. These either filled with water and dragged him down, or filled with air, keeping his head underwater. There was no way the bystanders could save him, and had to watch as he was swept away. Sadly they found his body after a search much later. So unless you have a proper dry, or wet suit, swimming trunks are the safest

Right second part.

Well the floods subsided, and people could start boating again. I had a Boston trip with Roy, and one or two to Lincoln. The Landlord at the pub at Southrey had bought a boat, and asked Roy to help him bring it back. Roy in turn asked me if I could go to Stamp End in mine, as this boat had not been used for a couple of years.

Well I had a pleasant trip up, and the boat he had just bought ran well. In fact it was a bit of a bargain, as a woman had bought it two years previously, used it a couple of times, then abandoned it. Although the Harbourmasters office is now shut in the Brayford Pool, the trust is still in existence, and the boat had been sold by the Trust to pay for the outstanding moorings. So we returned without incident. I left Wud moored on the visitor mooring again at Bardney, going back to Southrey in the car.

I had a trip to Lincoln on my own, mooring the boat on the BW visitor moorings just under the Road Bridge exiting the Brayford. I had intended taking it back the next day, but in the end left it a couple of days. Made for a nice little trip anyway, even if I did have to do it on my own again.

At Christmas, I was encouraged to play a few chords on the guitar again. I said I would relearn them to show Roy. I have been given a few acoustic guitars, and have repaired one, which plays and sounds well. I had been looking forward to a music session at Southrey; similar to the one we had last year, and finally got the chance on the night the landlord was leaving. I took Wud to Southrey, so I had somewhere to sleep; alcohol is also part of these sessions, and I seem to be having my share this year. No doubt Sonia is to blame, but I don’t think it’ll do me any long-term damage to let my hair down for a while (grin). Jill and Keith had sent a text message to say they were on the river, so I phoned Jill, who said they would come to Southrey. Roy was there in the afternoon, but left, however later in the evening, he returned with his friends, on the request of a phone call from Jill. As it was the last night, and we were alone in the Lounge, the landlord let us play in the pub. Not the best session ever, but very enjoyable all the same. I didn’t even have a hangover the next day; in fact I seem to have grown out of them at last.

I then had an excursion onto the canals on a small narrowboat. Someone who had never been boating had asked for help on a forum on the Internet, to move a boat he had bought. This was earlier in the year and he said he had never steered the boat, or worked a lock. Well I offered, as I thought this might be a way to see more of the canals. I had heard nothing for months, and even forgotten about it, when I got the email saying he was now ready. I asked him to phone, but ended up phoning myself. Almost wish I hadn’t to be honest, however it did me no harm and did get Barney and myself out for a couple of days.

The owner was an artist, and a bit of a dreamer. He had bought this old boat in April, and was trying to move it over one hundred miles. Come the end of July and he had only seen it the once, when he bought it, didn’t even know if it was still there. It was moored at a small residential basin at Burton on Trent, and I had arranged to meet him mid morning. After I arrived I discovered the boat was still there. He had not renewed the moorings, and it had been moved to the other side of the canal, and there it sat, looking a bit derelict. I waited for a while, chatting to some of the people who lived on their boats, and discovered a bit about the one he had bought. After a while I walked round to do a brief inspection. Lifting the covers on the large cruiser stern, the engine did in fact appear as if it might work. Under a rough looking seat was an impressive battery bank, and flashing a jump lead I found on the top across a couple of them, there appeared to be life left. I walked back, had a sit in the car, then went for a short walk into the town, getting a bag of chips and can of drink for lunch. I had yet another walk round to the boat, and then coming back sat in the car. I was on the point of coming home, and giving it up as a bad job when they arrived. He had my mobile number, but didn’t think to phone and let me know they had been delayed. His wife, a pleasant Australian drove, as he couldn’t drive; hence wanting someone to show him how to steer a boat, and start it etc.

We walked back over the canal to his boat, where he produced a set of keys, and opened the cabin door with a struggle. Inside it was not as bad as I had imagined. He had said it would be a camping trip, and I had come prepared with sleeping back and inflatable bed, but I’ve seen much worse insides on old, neglected boats.

I took his keys, and found the ignition key, which fitted and turned the switch after a bit of effort. I had already found the battery isolator switch under the engine covers, so turned it on and tried the engine. To my amazement, it actually started. I had dipped the diesel tank and found a couple of inches in the bottom, so knew it had a little fuel, but was surprised the heater plugs all seemed to be working. Maybe the old boat would manage a few miles after all. I stopped the engine, then at my suggestion; we pulled the boat back with ropes and pushed it to the other side where the cars were.

Helped by his wife, we loaded our not insignificant provision onto the boat. The first lock was only a short walk away, so his wife and daughter came with us. Just a pity I had not checked the toilet. A portapotty resided in this small compartment, the rest of the cabin being one open space. We were moored next to a BW waste disposal and the toilet was full to the brim, something I discovered the next morning. After we had finished, and were all on the boat, I started the engine and very gingerly put it in gear. Managing to make the right turn onto the Trent and Mersey Canal, we headed off, quickly arriving at the first lock. Now I’ve not had a lot of experience of handling narrowboats, but like all boats it is not difficult. However this one turned out to be the worst vehicle of any type I have ever driven. The engine, an elderly 2.2 BMC diesel was in fact quite powerful for this relatively small narrowboat. Plus the cabin was wood, with a fibreglass skin. It had only recently been renewed, and there were no windows as yet, the inside lit by the glass doors at the front of the boat.

We arrived at the lock, and I managed to get the boat alongside the bank to moor up. It only had two very poor ropes, which didn’t make the task any easier, however we managed without too much of a performance. I carefully talked everyone through the workings of the lock, which his wife quickly grasped; I could see he might struggle with this simple mechanical operation though, something that was to be proved a little later. Once through, we set off alone, saying goodbye to his wife and daughter.

Now on our own I experimented with the boat a little, trying to find better ways of steering, plus going faster, slower and reversing for stopping. One thing it did well was stop, being lighter than most narrowboats, and with a fairly large engine by modern day standards. Something I was to be very thankful for later.

We plodded on, and I showed him what to do at each lock, however by the fourth one my patience was wearing a little thin. He had managed to raise the paddle and open the gate, so I asked him to drop the paddle, as he had forgotten on the previous one. Now there is no shame in that, as many people, myself included do on occasion. But it was the fact he stood there in a trance like state, and I had to ask him three times, the third time talking to him in a slow loud voice, as if to a very young child.

We called for fuel when I saw a sign for some. This involved backing the boat through an archway the width of the boat, at ninety degrees to the canal. I knew this would challenge my handling skills, and the fact the wind was now blowing the boat sideways didn’t help. Of course with a bit of shoving from the bank this was soon accomplished, and he filled the tank with fuel, and I even persuaded him to buy a decent rope.

When we had set off again I let him have a go at steering when we were on part of the canal with no other boats around. He actually managed to steer the boat after a short while, so maybe it wasn’t an impossible task after all. He had finally got the hang of the locks, something I also enjoy doing. As long as I’m fit, I’m enthusiastic and rush up to help, sending any boat that may be in the lock on their way, and shutting the gate after them before emptying (or filling) the lock for our turn. This proved to be my undoing in a way, as after a couple of locks with a boat following us, the man from this boat came up and asked sarcastically if I ever shut gates. Well I explained how I did it, and why, said I was sorry etc. at which point we shook hands and became friends……well sociable anyway.

The owner had a long journey ahead of him, so I wanted to help him get as far as possible in the couple of days or so I was planning to be with him. It was just getting dusk when we approached Fradley Junction, which appeared a good place to moor for the night. Approaching the last lock the canal was lined with moored boats both sides. The engine, while still running aright, had developed a rough tickover, so a few revs were in order. For a narrowboat the boat travelled quite fast, although how anyone can describe 2mph as fast stretches my imagination a little. Modern boats creep along well below this, partly to try to avoid disturbing the shallow water of the canals, and so rocking the moored boats they pass. My newly acquired GPS was coming in handy, and said we were travelling at fractionally more than the 2mph. As I approached the long shiny narrowboat in this decrepit thing, I could tell I was to get a comment. The owner, an elderly gent with a permanent scowl etched on his face said ‘going a little fast aren’t we’ in a sarcastic voice. Smiling I said, not at all, it’s as slow as it goes. At which he disappeared inside the object of his desire.

I did however make the only real mistake of the day, when in the lock. He had at last got the hang of this simple task of working a lock, and quickly shut the gate, when I had entered on the boat. He confidently opened the paddles at the other end, which produced a swirl of water that sends the boat backwards, then forwards in the narrow space; just two inches to spare in fact I worked the gear lever as usual, which was horizontal. If the lever had been vertical, you would require to push it forwards to go backwards, so there was room for a little confusion. When the boat surged forwards, it was going a little faster than I’d experienced, so instead of opening the throttle, I mistakenly thought I had put the boat in forward, not reverse. So I put the gear level the other way. Luckily narrowboats are built to be tough, and boating is in fact a contact pastime. There is a large rope fender on the front, and we hit the gate quite hard with this, however there was no damage, only a spilt bottle of drinking water. It did however teach me to be a little more careful in narrow locks.

Fradley junction is just that, a junction between two canals, and so immediately though the lock we turned south onto the Coventry Canal. Lines of boats were moored here, and with the late hour, I craftily sneaked a mooring at the front. Technically you are not supposed to moor here, as this is the mooring space for boats waiting to use the lock, but as we would be away early this did not matter.

I fed Barney and took him up the towpath for a short walk. Returning I made my bed up for the night and we went to the pub for a meal. I waited a while, but he didn’t seem in a hurry to get me a drink, so I ordered my own. Offering to buy him one, thinking it might prompt a little hospitality from him, he only said he was teetotaller so I bought him a coke. I also ordered and paid for my own meal. Now I didn’t expect vast payment for my offer, but don’t think a meal and pint was too much to expect. Tomorrow would have to be a good day, or I’d be jumping ship.

We had a nice meal, went back to the boat and after a bit of chatting, went to sleep. After the usual restless night I got up, walked Barney and then found the full toilet. There was a gas bottle, but no gas. I wasn’t too bothered, as this meant no danger from gas explosions, however it also meant I had to go without my morning cuppa as well.

We soon set off and I had let him steer, as I was thinking about later in the day, if I had to leave him alone. Well he had seemed to have steered alright for a bit the day before, but just as we got going he steered the wrong way, straight for the line of moored boats. I slammed the boat into reverse, and revved the engine, managing to avoid a collision by inches. Now as I’ve said, boating especially narrowboating is a contact pastime, however to be rammed amidships while having your breakfast is not to be advised. Serious injury could result if the person was just pouring boiling water, or cooking. The day did not start well, no toilet, no cup of tea, and now badly frayed nerves.

I took over and we set off, myself wishing I’d never bothered coming, however it was a nice day, and the canal wound it’s way pleasantly along the flat countryside, meaning the absence of locks, so progress could be made. I let him steer again on the deserted stretches. After a while he got a bit stressed, but later did get the hang of it enough, to avoid a boat we met on a bend. I also gave him a course of the engine controls, and saw him write them down, with direction arrows in a notebook. This book also had a diagram of steering, so maybe?

One boat we met had said a lock at Glascote was shut until evening. I discovered this was the way we were going, and after passing Fazely junction where we again followed the Coventy Canal, we soon came upon the lock. Workmen were in evidence so I walked up for a chat to find out what had happened etc. Apparently the cill had collapsed letting the lock leak so badly it was taking too long to fill. Temporary work was expected to take all afternoon. To pass the time we walked back to Fazely to try to find a shop that sold boating stuff. We didn’t but did get somewhere to buy a snack and a drink. I had to buy my own again of course.

We returned, stopping briefly at the river where a small viaduct takes the canal overhead. The first time I have taken a boat over one, so another new experience for me. Arriving back at the boat I chatted to others as I usually do. He had by now managed to get enough motivation to start clearing the back of the boat, filled with leaves, rubbish and debris that collects on unattended articles when left outside. I had tried to persuade him to make the boat look less derelict as we motored along. One chap with another small boat, also single-handed was someone I got on well with, and in fact followed into the locks, as both our boats would fit at a time.

The workmen did sterling work, and quickly had everyone up and running again. I walked up and after watching a few, took my turn in helping. Eventually our turn came and we put both boats in. By now everyone was locking through properly i.e. shoving the gates with the front of the boat to try to speed the job up. In the second lock I pushed his boat with ours and managed to save several minutes for the lock to fill the last few inches. After this we pushed on, making up for lost time. I had dropped back slightly, as there were the usual stop start of slowing passed moored boats etc. Still gagging for a cup of tea, I should have asked someone to put the kettle on while we were waiting, as I’m sure most would be only too happy to oblige. However I saw the other boat mooring up for the evening so took the opportunity to stop. We were nearly at Atherstone flight of locks, where I had planned our overnight moorings, having earlier enquired of a good place to stop. The other chap cheerfully obliged, chiding me I should have asked earlier. After a short stop, where the owner of our boat got more advice from a fellow boater, we went to set off. However on turning the key to start the engine, the starter just groaned, and there was a large cloud of smoke. Thinking it was a battery connection I investigated, however it turned out to be coming from the starter. Had be been more forthcoming, and a bit more generous I would have probably felt more like helping, however as it was I quickly too the opportunity to end out trip. A friend who lived not too far away had already said he would come and take me back to my car at Burton on Trent, and that is exactly what happened. The only thing is in the rush I left my good yachmaster wellies, ‘won’ in a deal with Roy in exchange for a pair of cheap waders……..Oh well, never mind.

As I'm sure you know, if you post 2 items they join up as one. Sadly, all paragraph breaks, sentences are lost. This is down to Mr Bill Gates making us use his system to use the internet.

As I'm sure you are aware he is he richest man in the world, so it CANNOT be wrong, therefore :wub::):wub::)

I'll post the first part again........I did say it was a ROUGH draft didn't I......still requires much work, and is unfinished. Although I have said I had a poor education, I did in fact go to skewl, and in fact got a GCE english pass.

Anyway, you've had a good few minutes worth of entertainment just looking at the photos I'm sure.

Any questions regarding the trips can be answered by reading my boating pages already on my website.

The next noteworthy event was the Dawncraft BBQ. I travelled by car this time, 50 miles in 50 minutes, without breaking the speed limit. Bit of a change from 3 long days on the boat.

We all had a good time, met some new friends, and I had taken the guitar, along with a CD to sing along to and the words. Well other than a quick session with Roger at the car, it was the worst sing song I’ve ever known. Roger had to leave, as he’d ridden almost 100 miles on his Norton Chop he built in the 70s. So no one sang, and to make matters worse, a video was made and put on the net. Now I don’t mind, but would like it if my ‘claim to fame’ was not to have the worst music video on the internet. I have made ammends to some extent, even going to the trouble of buying a webcam, but couldn’t get it to work.

And then it rained, the worst in living memory for June and July. So the river was in flood for over 2 weeks.

Make sure you check out the photos I took

This put paid to my boating for several weeks, however it did have one advantage in that it washed the weed away, which was as bad as I’ve seen it, and could have seriously hindered boating if it has been allowed to grow unchecked.

My boat was safely moored on the visitors floating pontoon at Bardney, but the boats on the fixed finger moorings were not. One sank when the legs were caught under the rail by the bank, however my friend Roy has been after this boat for years, and it is now cheap enough. He finally bought it last week, at the end of October.

When I saw all the water flowing through Lincoln, I phoned a friend with a boat moored at Bardney. He said he had just come back from wading almost up to his waist to visit his boat. The water was above the finger moorings, and he had tied a few together to stop them sustaining damage, or even sinking when the water receded, but the cold had beaten him. I said I would join him and help with the rest the next day, so went down early, as he had to get back to work. I arrived around 7.15am and leaving my car on the high ground at the bridge, waded through the water in jeans and trainers. I had brought some dry clothes, and my new waders and wellies were on my boat.

I helped Martin to tie all the boats together that were over the fingers, about 10 in all I think, then waded down to Wud, where I collected my wellies and waders. Making my way very carefully back along the moorings, I got back to the car and got dried and changed. Donned in wellies and waders I thought I would go back and take some pictures, but when I got near to the lock, the water had started to flow. There was a real danger of my being swept off my feet, so I returned on the footpath, the highest part to walk back. Others had arrived, and I asked someone to take a photo, then went to the car and drove to Bardney Road Bridge, where I walked back along the cycle track to take the pictures.

Little did I realise, but the safest you can be wading through water is shorts and sandels, or trainers. There was a tragedy over this period when an elderly man went to check his boat at Torksey. He had been told it was all right, and there was no need, but he insisted. Somehow he somehow fell out of the dingy, and was wearing chest waders. These either filled with water and dragged him down, or filled with air, keeping his head underwater. There was no way the bystanders could save him, and had to watch as he was swept away. Sadly they found his body after a search much later. So unless you have a proper dry, or wet suit, swimming trunks are the safest

This is incorrect, please research your posts before attributing spurious claims to poor hardworking business persons.

Great pics, Supermac.

I attempted to do the Kyme this summer, but was advised not to by the BW lockkeeper as the water levels were high. He reckoned I would not get under the bridge(s).

I have a 55ft narrowboat. I had a look from the junction on the River Witham. The flow seemed to be OK, but better safe than sorry, so I moored up and went to the pub in the village instead (sorry, I have forgotten its name). My main concern was, having committed to going down the Kyme and finding I couldn't get under the bridge, I would not be able to turn. Your pics suggest otherwise. Do many narrowboats go down. Also, I know weed is a problem (presumably due to lack of boats). I intend to try again next year. Don't want to go too early (fair weather sailor). What is the latest do you think I can leave it?

Edited by Derek Porteous

Thanks.......

Water levels are raised in April, and the weed grows when the sun comes out. Wasn't too bad this year as it was dry, but not sunny, however for a relative trouble free trip, I would suggest going not later than the first May bank holiday.

You might squeeze one in at the end of October, as I have done the last two years. Last year the weed cutters went up, and I got the chance in the few days left before they dropped the lower Witham in November.

This year the upper level was kept almost empty, until October (or thereabouts) from the floods. Apparently they only closed the sluices to fill it when the fishermen threatened them (EA) with court action.

Which is how I sneaked a trip at almost the last minute.