Yanmar Barras Shire Water Pump

Featured Posts

Gloom. Detected a drip from the water pump. Going back to my motoring days this would indicate the requirement for a replacement.

Looked online at Yanmar pumps generally and genuine items are a great deal more in cost to a after market one. Part of me says ‘genuine’ another part of me says ‘Non-genuine’ parts.

My thinking is, the engine was installed in 2002. It very rarely exceeds 2000 revs. It doesn’t run every day. 

Is it worth considering a non genuine part or false economy?

Next question. Where best to get one from. I’m in Skipton. So is the boat. I can probably fit myself. 

Buy from anywhere but a Barras agent. Yanmar are industrial engines, plant, tractors generators etc. So buy from a Yanmar plant distributor.

You will need to find out the Yanmar engine type, usually cast on the top side of the block

Edited by Tracy D'arth

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Buy from anywhere but a Barras agent. Yanmar are industrial engines, plant, tractors generators etc. So buy from a Yanmar plant distributor.

You will need to find out the Yanmar engine type, usually cast on the top side of the block

Barrus put me onto Selby Boat Centre who are their agents as would not supply the part I needed direct to the boat yard I was in, had absolutely no joy from their authorised agent, finally just bought the genuine part off Ebay😄

• Greenie 1

Just now, Nightwatch said:

How would I ascertain that Tony?

I would go to a few independent garages/workshops and ask them. I was happy to trust certain Motor Factors in my area until Europarts seem to have taken most of them over. I used to know the brands I felt I could trust but not any longer. Do what Tracy said and look for an industrial/horticultural/agricultural agent.

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Knock me over with a feather, checked this morning before and after running the engine. No drips. Stone dry.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

However, I will keep checking it of course.

Please do, and keep looking for a non-marine source. That behaviour is typical of a water pump in early stages of failure in that they only leak when they think they will. Sometimes stationary, sometimes running, and sometimes for no good reason. Dammed tricky things, faulty water pumps, especially in the early stages of failure.

In the mean time Iam having difficulty identifying the engine.

I have the number from the rocker cover. The documents from the installation show the same series.

The number I have is 2203 0201868. I called one supplier and they wanted more. I haven’t got more at present.

But I will persevere and keep looking.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please do, and keep looking for a non-marine source. That behaviour is typical of a water pump in early stages of failure in that they only leak when they think they will. Sometimes stationary, sometimes running, and sometimes for no good reason. Dammed tricky things, faulty water pumps, especially in the early stages of failure.

That is how mine went, thankfully an easily sourced Lister bit

55 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

In the mean time Iam having difficulty identifying the engine.

I have the number from the rocker cover. The documents from the installation show the same series.

The number I have is 2203 0201868. I called one supplier and they wanted more. I haven’t got more at present.

But I will persevere and keep looking.

There should be two sets of numbers, the original Yanmar stamp and the brass plate that Barrus put on once they have tinkered with it.

The Barrus plate is on the top 

rocker cover and the Yanmar stamp/plate is on the side by the starter motor.

Something like this from a 2003 Barrus.

2E09CB08-F447-4F9F-83B4-FF0C56498EEB.jpeg.db707bb9807bfcea743fd3f25c05b1a3.jpeg
  If it is the 4TNE84. You can get them off Ebay if you can’t find in your area or cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173929734222?var=

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

There should be two sets of numbers, the original Yanmar stamp and the brass plate that Barrus put on once they have tinkered with it.

The Barrus plate is on the top 

rocker cover and the Yanmar stamp/plate is on the side by the starter motor.

Something like this from a 2003 Barrus.

If it is the 4TNE84. You can get them off Ebay if you can’t find in your area or cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173929734222?var=

I see they do loads of models for different engines.   generatorparts0 | eBay Stores

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I see they do loads of models for different engines.   generatorparts0 | eBay Stores

Unfortunately I just seen they are based in China 🇨🇳 So delivery time may be a while. ☹️☹️☹️

There’s also this place below, just needs to search the internet once he has the 4TN??? number.

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/water-pump-yanmar-129327-42100-type-for-yanmar-mini-excavator-komatsu-pc20-5-replaces-oem-no-129327-42100.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-ps&gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODFxpKc_DSZA3zdWUXbUIkGZA6DUdEB0FXQjycrPWo7Il1W_DtCIIhxoCdjEQAvD_BwE

Edited by PD1964

On 08/08/2022 at 12:30, Nightwatch said:

Knock me over with a feather, checked this morning before and after running the engine. No drips. Stone dry.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

However, I will keep checking it of course.

Run out of coolant? :o:P

• Haha 1

Sneaky devils:  water pumps. Some only leak when running and spray a microfine mist, not a drip, so you can't see it. When the engine gets warm it evaporates as fast as it leaks, convincing you that its not leaking.

A raw egg in the water often stops the leak,-------------for a while!