Water pump ext pressure switch - plumbing

Featured Posts

Hi All

Just a spin off thread to my last one regarding a water pump replacement.

How did you plumb in your ext pressure switch? Rigid or flexi pipe, which connectors (links if possible please). I'm struggling a bit planning a way to do it. Rigid, the parts are easier but flexi seems wisest. I have some suitable 10mm id hose but can't find all the connectors. Your help would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, I forgot, how did you mount yours? I expected a bracket or at least threaded holes but got neither!

Edited by Richardcn
Additional request

I used the bracket that you an screw to the wall for a tap with a 1/2" BSP and a 15mm compression connection. Suitable reducer(s) in the 1/2" BSP and a short pipe from the 15mm compression to a compression T in the main pipework. If you have suitably clipped copper pipe you could use a 15mm compression I with a 1/2" BSP arm with reducer(s). I can see no reason to connect the pressure switch with a hose.

One of these 1/4"BSP male to 1/2" BSP male   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332577575431?hash=item4d6f2b1207:g:LQoAAOSwyQtVthmV

And a 1/2"  flexy tap connector pipe    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143951533979?hash=item21842e179b:g:zrkAAOSwwkhgLUPh   Stick a tee in your existing plumbing with a 15mm branch.

33 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Hi All

Just a spin off thread to my last one regarding a water pump replacement.

How did you plumb in your ext pressure switch? Rigid or flexi pipe, which connectors (links if possible please). I'm struggling a bit planning a way to do it. Rigid, the parts are easier but flexi seems wisest. I have some suitable 10mm id hose but can't find all the connectors. Your help would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, I forgot, how did you mount yours? I expected a bracket or at least threaded holes but got neither!

For mounting, it is designed to use pipe and 1/4BSP (G4) fitting it is screwed on to for the mounting, which is why there are no mounting holes, or plates in it. Which answers the first question as well, rigid pipe is better than flexi hose. See page 4 of the data sheet, which says you need a 63mm clearance around the 1/4BSP fitting to screw on the switch.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I used the bracket that you an screw to the wall for a tap with a 1/2" BSP and a 15mm compression connection. Suitable reducer(s) in the 1/2" BSP and a short pipe from the 15mm compression to a compression T in the main pipework. If you have suitably clipped copper pipe you could use a 15mm compression I with a 1/2" BSP arm with reducer(s). I can see no reason to connect the pressure switch with a hose.

Okay that makes sense but the pipework I'm connecting to is laid on the bottom of the boat with no vertical surface close by, the nearest being the water tank itself. Hence my interest in a 'flexible' solution ;)

I may be able to shuffle things about to achieve a rigid solution but only if I really have to.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

One of these 1/4"BSP male to 1/2" BSP male   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332577575431?hash=item4d6f2b1207:g:LQoAAOSwyQtVthmV

And a 1/2"  flexy tap connector pipe    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143951533979?hash=item21842e179b:g:zrkAAOSwwkhgLUPh   Stick a tee in your existing plumbing with a 15mm branch.

Yes THIS! ^^^^^^ 

Awesome thanks :)

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

For mounting, it is designed to use pipe and 1/4BSP (G4) fitting it is screwed on to for the mounting, which is why there are no mounting holes, or plates in it. Which answers the first question as well, rigid pipe is better than flexi hose. See page 4 of the data sheet, which says you need a 63mm clearance around the 1/4BSP fitting to screw on the switch.

Yeah I did actually read that but I had also seen a mounting bracket, possibly with one of the other switches that I looked at or this one froma different supplier.

8 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Okay that makes sense but the pipework I'm connecting to is laid on the bottom of the boat with no vertical surface close by, the nearest being the water tank itself. Hence my interest in a 'flexible' solution ;)

I may be able to shuffle things about to achieve a rigid solution but only if I really have to.

Yes THIS! ^^^^^^ 

Awesome thanks :)

My switch is on its side on the floor at the end of a short stub of pipe tee'd from the main discharge line with a small accumulator to take ant surges 

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My switch is on its side on the floor at the end of a short stub of pipe tee'd from the main discharge line with a small accumulator to take ant surges 

I'd worry about moisture getting in where mine will be. I'll be sealing it up, not totally of course but fairly well and mounting it upright to help avoid moisture ingress.

For anybody looking for a similar solution in the future, here's how I connected it up. All parts sourced from good ole Screwfix. I'm sure there are 'cleaner' solutions but as we're on a long move I was just happy to get everything from a single, accessible location:

15mm equal tee

15mm -1/2 brass adaptor

Flex hose 1/2 bsp

1/2-1/4 brass bush

1/4 bsp brass nipple

I'll let you know how much it leaks ;)

20220811_101809_copy_756x1008.jpg

Oh yeah and this, of course.

20220811_103445_copy_756x1008.jpg

• Happy 1